It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spike: The Oklahoma Suicide Bomber

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   

PODcast: Spike: The Oklahoma Suicide Bomber (reply 5)
Majic continues his fruitless search for the plot and comments at seemingly interminable length in the process. Also apologizes for calling OU President David Boren a liar.

length: 14:41
file: atspodcast_426.mp3
size: 2584k
feed:

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   

PODcast: Spike: The Oklahoma Suicide Bomber (reply 6)
mulberryblueshimmer shares some of her opinions on this topic

length: 03:25
file: atspodcast_427.mp3
size: 1602k
feed:

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Lest I Be Misunderstood

I am not claiming that Joel Hinrichs III was an Al Qaeda-affiliated terrorist. I don't know that.

I am not trying to push this story in any direction other than to keep it from being buried.

I strongly suspect an orchestrated cover-up in this case.

I am not assuming anything about Joel Hinrichs.

Assuming that this was a simple suicide is itself an assumption.

The truth is being deliberately concealed.

I urge my fellow members to deny ignorance.

Please look into this and see for yourself.

American Suicide Bomber

I use the term "suicide bomber" in this case based on the official story that Joel Hinrichs committed suicide by deliberately detonating the bomb attached to his person which killed him.

When a suicide bomber detonates without killing anyone else in Israel or Iraq, that person is still legitimately named as a suicide bomber and referred to as such by the press.

Joel Hinrichs was, according to the current and typical usage for the term, a "suicide bomber".

I am using nothing other than the same terminology the press would normally use in a case like this.

I invite those who may take exception to the term to explain how a person who commits suicide by detonating a bomb is not a "suicide bomber".

I am not the only person properly using the expression, either:

At this point, we are a vocal minority.

Are we wrong? Feel free to demonstrate how, and the first step in doing that is to look into this.

Please!

[edit on 10/6/2005 by Majic]

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Here's some more information. Thanks to Laz the Long.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
The Link Farm

Here are some links to various articles and videos connected to this case. Note the limited number of sources.

ATS Threads

NEWS: Explosion Kills One at University of Oklahoma

Oklahoma university suicide is confirmed terrorist event- Islamic connection- Channel 9 is source

Free Republic Threads

I generally don't like linking to political websites from here, but FR has been covering this heavily and has some good info -- if you can get past the partisanship and bigotry that infests the place. Beneath all the noise and stupidity, there are some solid, intelligent members there with good information.

Bomb Blast at University of Oklahoma (Breaking on Fox) - suicide bomber at OU (Note that this broke on Fox)

Oklahoma City's Channel 9 Blows Bomber story Wide Open

OKC Ch 9:OU Suicide Bomber Attempted Stadium Entry/5 Others Involved, Ticket to Algeria Found

Oklahoma Daily (Student Newspaper)

Aftermath affects Muslim community

Hinrichs was angry, depressed

Investigation continues

Who was Joel Henry Hinrichs III?

Death does not affect class

OU releases more information

OU releases more information (Part 2)

Bench on South Oval Replaced

Official: 'Security was prepared'

FBI investigates potential threat

Bombs shake campus

The Oklahoman (Local Newspaper)

No terror ties found so far in bomb case

Sources: OU suicide bomber attempted stadium entry

Officer had clue before OU blast

Victim described as quiet

Bomb material found in student’s apartment

NEWS 9 Video (Local TV Station, Apparently Not Network-Affiliated)

Bomber tried to buy ammonium nitrate

Sources: OU suicide bomber attempted stadium

Sources: OU suicide bomber attempted stadium (Looks like a duplicate, but different URL)

More details emerge about OU suicide bomber

Suicide bomber's dad talks about son

Questions surround OU bomb ("Not a piece of cake")

I don't expect people to follow every link, but provide them here as a convenience.

Recommended Viewing

If you choose only two videos to watch, I recommend these two:

These reports starkly contrast the "individual suicide" cover story.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Bill Manders At KKOH Reno, NV Carrying The Real Story

A talk show host on the local ABC affiliate, KKOH AM 780 in Reno, NV is carrying this story and has made it the theme of his show today.

He seems to be up on the details and, like myself and an increasing number of people familiar with this case, wants to know why this story is not being carried nationally.

This is the first time I have heard of a nationally-affiliated radio station openly carrying the details about Hinrich's attempts to enter the stadium and Muslim ties.

Manders is pushing the Muslim ties more than I would like, but the important thing is that he is using the extensive coverage of KKOH to spread the news about the media blackout of this story to a wider audience.

At some point, critical mass may well be achieved, which would drive this story out into the mainstream. If that happens, a lot of “mainstreamers” will have some explaining to do.

This is scandalous.

Short Time Listener...

I don't listen to radio much, but have been checking in over the past several days, and caught Bill Manders talking about this today.

People commuting home from work listen to KKOH by the thousands during rush hour, so this story is well-placed for the area.

He has been reading off the emerging details on the air and isn't holding anything back. Bill Manders is definitely not on board with the cover-up, and sounds as pissed as I do about it.

I called KKOH at 4:14 today and spoke briefly with Mr. Manders on the air.

Here's what we discussed:

- I thanked him for carrying the story, and told him I had been following it since Saturday when it broke.

- I said I was stunned about the disparities between national coverage and local coverage.

- He said he first started covering it on Wednesday, but I missed that.

- I pointed out that even if we go with the official story at face value, it is technically a “suicide bombing” and that there's no reason why the national press wouldn't cover it unless it's being squelched.

- I said I wanted to avoid jumping on the conspiracy theory bandwagon, and that “conspiracy theory is a fun hobby, but a terrible religion.”

- I suggested that there may not necessarily be sinister motives for squelching the story.

- I observed the other terrorism-related stories breaking around the U.S., and conjectured that perhaps this incident was part of a larger story.

And that was my minute and forty seconds of fame.

I chose the points I did to attempt to counter the rather strong anti-Islamist theme of his broadcast.

While I would prefer to hear more balanced perspectives from Mr. Manders, I am very happy to see more news sources carrying this story.

Despite the national blackout, the story is still spreading and being heard.

Maybe the system works after all.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   

PODcast: Spike: The Oklahoma Suicide Bomber (reply 7)
Majic reports that a local talk radio host dedicated his show to this topic today, and describes his conversation with the host, Bill Manders of KKOH AM 780 Reno, NV on the air.

length: 07:08
file: atspodcast_440.mp3
size: 1256k
feed:

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic

- I said I wanted to avoid jumping on the conspiracy theory bandwagon, and that “conspiracy theory is a fun hobby, but a terrible religion.”

So basically you lied, right? Because I just got through listening to you state in your latest podcast that you predict the national media being called to answer because they didn't cover this story. You can't have it both ways, majic. You can't insinuate conspiracy because you are not satisfied with the level of national coverage, and then get on the radio and renounce conspiracy. You've repeatedly called it an intentional "spike" and/or "black-out".

You even repeated this lie in your podcast. Yes, you do want a conspiracy. You want the conspiracy that will back your run-away mind on this. While many of us continue to work to mine facts on this event, you continue to go helter-skelter and hip-deep in unfounded hyperbole based solely on "you aren't being told"...and that "not being told" is based solely on the LEVEL of coverage.

To make ABSOLUTELY CLEAR...national media coverage doesn't lend an ounce of credence to any theory...including yours.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Punching The Spike

Originally posted by Valhall
So basically you lied, right? Because I just got through listening to you state in your latest podcast that you predict the national media being called to answer because they didn't cover this story. You can't have it both ways, majic. You can't insinuate conspiracy because you are not satisfied with the level of national coverage, and then get on the radio and renounce conspiracy. You've repeatedly called it an intentional "spike" and/or "black-out".

This is a lie only if the story is not being spiked.

I am basing my assessment that this story is being spiked on the definition of spiking provided by Wikipedia and the fact that what I am observing matches that definition.

According to that definition, "In journalism, spiking is the practice of deliberately choosing not to publish a news story, or otherwise suppressing newsworthy information, which does not fit the preconceived slant of a news topic."

That's what I am seeing here.

I know the national outlets are aware of the story, because they have carried short blurbs containing limited and selective details of the story.

Yet they are not apparently investigating further, leaving that to local agencies -- the leaders among them apparently unaffiliated with the national networks.

I just sat through nearly three hours of local talk radio in which caller after caller expressed anger and outrage that they hadn't heard of this story yet. In that same show, I heard the host (a professional radio broadcaster) repeatedly point out the same thing I've been pointing out.

His word: “squelched”.

I have many friends and relatives with whom I have discussed this case, all of whom tend to stay up on the news and are generally pretty savvy people. Without exception, none of them had heard about it until I told them what was going on.

Unlike some parties in this case, I'm reporting what I'm seeing as honestly as I can, and in all cases with the caveat that I could be wrong.

How Many Times Do I Need To Say I Could Be Wrong?

I think I have gone well beyond the call in making sure I disclaim my reports. I am human. I can make mistakes. I point this out so often that members have criticized me for it.

Oh the irony.

I'm saying it again: I could be wrong. But I am convinced this story is being spiked nationally, and I am reporting my opinions truthfully.

Witness the difference in coverage between the affiliates and the independents. Witness the distinctive dividing line between local and national coverage, and the virtual lockstep national outlets have marched in as they have, as a group, withheld reporting on the significant emerging details of this case.

It has been a week, and this is now a matter of record. We can compare what the national press has been reporting -- and not reporting -- against information from local sources.

More importantly, we can compare what the nationals have been carrying, then quickly dropped or buried on the back page.

Based on my understanding of what news spiking is, I am convinced that this news is being spiked.

If I am wrong about that, please explain how. Better yet, prove me wrong.

Convinced as I am, I may be wrong about this, but if I'm wrong, it's an honest mistake based on the information available to me, not a lie.

I made a mistake when I accused President Boren of lying, because despite the implausibility of the story he was telling, I couldn't prove him wrong, or that he intended to deceive.

I think you're making the same mistake, and ask that you be cautious when making these sorts of accusations, just as I should be.

I may be wrong about this, but if this isn't a spiked story, I honestly, truly and sincerely don't know what one is.

I am surprised that you are making this kind of accusation in light of the great deal of care I take in making sure I present information clearly and factually.

I may be wrong, but I'm not lying. :shk:

P.S. If I'm missing all the national coverage, please give me some links I can follow to determine that the national organizations are in fact covering this story beyond simply parroting government statements. Yes, I do expect more from journalists than just rubber-stamping official press releases.

Please, show me where I'm wrong or at least accept the possibility that I may be right.

I'm not asking for much.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Survey Says...

Here are some searches of "mainstream" websites for the words "joel" and "hinrichs".

Check them and see for yourself:

ABCNews.com: Joel Hinrichs (Search) (2 items at time of post)

CNN.com: Joel Hinrichs (Search) (2 items at time of post)

DrudgeReport.com: Joel Hinrichs (Search) (ZERO items at time of post -- and I know they carried this story briefly)

FOXNews.com: Joel Hinrichs (Search) (2 items at time of post, and FOX broke this story!)

MSNBC.com: Joel Hinrichs (Search) (6 items at time of post)

USAToday: Joel Hinrichs (Search) (ZERO items at time of post -- and I know they carried this story briefly)

As ALWAYS, I could be wrong about something here.

But look at what comes up -- when anything comes up at all. It's all in line with the unsubstantiated official line that this was an "individual suicide".

The official line is unsubstantiated because they have not concluded an investigation yet.

I invite other members to investigate my claim that this story is being spiked nationally.

If I'm wrong, please show me where, because I am always willing to learn from my mistakes.

Well, at least I try to learn, anyway...

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   

PODcast: Spike: The Oklahoma Suicide Bomber (reply 8)
Majic tries to clear some things up, discusses the extent of "mainstream media" coverage and examines search results from major news sites and calls for honest, skeptical and courteous investigation into this story and the dearth of national news coverage associated with it.

length: 11:35
file: atspodcast_441.mp3
size: 2038k
feed:

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   

PODcast: Spike: The Oklahoma Suicide Bomber (reply 9)
Majic gives an update of his opinions on this case and seeks yet again to clarify his position for those who may be having difficulty understanding it.

length: 10:18
file: atspodcast_460.mp3
size: 1812k
feed:

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Majic's Perspective On This Case As Of October 9, 2005

Obviously, there's a lot of links here, and I don't expect anyone to read all of them, even though I have.

Please bear in mind that my opinions are based on what I have read, watched and heard about this case on the Internet from several sources. I am fully aware that despite the number of different sources, some information may be subject to the "echo chamber effect" of the Internet, where a false piece of information is repeated until it becomes accepted as truth.

I'm not trying to become the next Pierre Salinger. I am mindful of the flaws and weaknesses associated with gathering news off the Internet.

I am also mindful of the flaws and weaknesses associated with gathering news only from so-called mainstream commercial sources, especially the national conglomerates, and consider this story to be a textbook example of what some of those weaknesses are.

Thus I continue to encourage skepticism on the part of anyone following this story.

Where I Stand On All This

Based on the extensive amount of research I have done on this case, here are my opinions as they currently stand:

1. I am suspicious of the lack of national coverage for this story. I still want to know why it is being spiked. Even if we accept the official story as absolutely true, the national blackout on this story is inconsistent with the nature of the case and remains unexplained.

2. I do NOT know if Joel Hinrichs intended suicide or something else. There is not enough evidence for anyone -- including officials -- to claim to know his motives. The fact that some of them DO claim to know his motives prior to at least completing an investigation is inherently suspicious and needs to be explained.

3. I do NOT trust all the information coming from local reports. Most of the sources are unnamed, and as with the official story, even if we take all the rumors at face value, there are discrepancies and suggestions which do not add up. Local news investigators need to provide more solid information from more credible sources. National news investigators are rumored to possess that ability, but seem to have universally overlooked this story without comment or explanation. *Ahem*

4. I do NOT know if Joel Hinrichs was a "Muslim convert" or had "Muslim ties" that influenced his behavior in any way. These claims are problematic because most of them seem to be based on nothing more than innuendo and speculation. Having a roommate from Pakistan does not make Hinrichs an Islamic terrorist. I would like to see this question thoroughly explored, but the truth is not served by those who are falsely claiming to know more about this question than they actually do.

5. I do NOT know if Hinrichs tried to enter the stadium. Library security guard Adam Smith says he was told as much, but that is hearsay. An FBI review of the security tapes from the stadium reportedly did not show any attempts, but the lack of such a discovery does not rule out attempted entry. Also, even if Hinrichs had no intention of entering the stadium, there is nothing to prove that he didn't intend to kill people at the buses. He had a second backpack.

6. I do NOT know if Hinrichs had a ticket to that night's game. This is a critical point, because it will weigh on Hinrichs' motives. If he didn't have a ticket, then he probably didn't attempt entry. If he did have a ticket, then that is a very important indication that Hinrichs may have been planning mass murder. Tamara Pratt of News 9 in OKC says he did have a ticket. Valhall of AboveTopSecret.com has said he didn't, but I do not know what her source is for that claim. In either case, I want to see a credible source for these claims. Only one of them is correct.

7. I do NOT know why the search warrant for Hinrich's apartment was sealed and remains sealed. I cannot understand why a search warrant associated with an "individual suicide" would need to be sealed by FEDERAL investigators. The very fact of this is suggestive, if not conclusive.

8. There are several aspects of the "official story" that DO NOT MAKE SENSE when taken at face value. This tells me that either the details of the case are more complex than is being reported, or that officials are lying. Certainly, all the facts are not being revealed. Problematically, the facts that have been revealed are rife with glaring inconsistencies. The LEAST plausible explanation I have seen so far is that this was a "simple suicide". No, it was not!

9. I am deeply concerned that more news organizations are not covering this story. Even more concerned than I am about the story itself. If the national press is truly this tightly controlled -- or oblivious to news of such undeniable interest to the people of the United States -- then whether Joel Hinrichs was an "individual suicide" or a would-be mass murderer is the least of our worries.

After studying this case for over a week, I am still unable to come up with a reasonable explanation for why this story is being spiked. No matter how I examine the case, the national press looks bad, and I'm really trying to understand why they are doing this.

This story is much bigger than Joel Hinrichs. The death of a free press is the final step before the death of freedom.

The Link Farm As Of October 9, 2005

I have been noting sources available on the Internet which have been covering this story. My collection is loosely organized, but may be tidied up as my schedule and anticipated lulls in the coverage allow.

I invite my fellow members to compare and contrast what is being reported by various sources.

I don't expect people to read every one like I have, but if you want to understand what is really going on here, waiting for the network news to tell you will result in nothing but prolonged ignorance.

They cannot be trusted, and should not be trusted.

Deny Ignorance.

ATS Threads

NEWS: Explosion Kills One at University of Oklahoma

Oklahoma university suicide is confirmed terrorist event- Islamic connection- Channel 9 is source

Free Republic Threads

I generally don't like linking to political websites from here, but FR has been covering this heavily and has some good info -- if you can get past the partisanship and bigotry that infests the place. Beneath all the noise and stupidity, there are some solid, intelligent members there with good information, and the staff does what they can to keep FR out of the mud and on topic.

Bomb Blast at University of Oklahoma (Breaking on Fox) - suicide bomber at OU (Note that this broke on Fox)

Oklahoma City's Channel 9 Blows Bomber story Wide Open

OKC Ch 9:OU Suicide Bomber Attempted Stadium Entry/5 Others Involved, Ticket to Algeria Found

UPDATED "Cliff Notes" summary by LibertyRocks at Free Republic

Recommended Viewing

If you choose only two videos to watch, I recommend these two:

These reports starkly contrast the "individual suicide" cover story.

NEWS 9 Video (Local TV Station, Apparently Not Network-Affiliated)

Bus driver's statement

Bomber tried to buy ammonium nitrate

Sources: OU suicide bomber attempted stadium (Looks like a duplicate, but different URL)

Suicide bomber's dad talks about son

Questions surround OU bomb ("Not a piece of cake")

BLOGS

Acorns from an Okie

No Shrapnel At Hinrichs' Explosion Site (Includes photos)

Bellaciao.org

David Boren Undermines Investigation of University of Oklahoma Bomb

Counterterrorism Blog

Suicide Bomber in Oklahoma?

Digital Brownshirt

The Digital Brownshirt

Fanblogs.com

OU bomber had bigger plans, ties to Norman mosque

Flopping Aces (floppingaces.net)

Oklahoma Bombing Synopsis

Michelle Malkin

OKLAHOMA BOMBER: DELVING DEEPER

Small Town Veteran

If an Oklahoma Jihadi dies in the forest

Tapscott's Copy Desk

Statement from Last Person to See Hinrichs Alive: "The Last Thing He Heard Was Me Whistling 'Great is the Lord'"

13 Plastic Bottles Found in Hinrichs' Car; Lots of Small, Round Holes Seen in Tree Near Bomb Site

OU's Boren Backs Off "Lone Suicide" Description, Slightly; Orders Tighter Security at Stadium

More "Suicide Bomber" Links to OU Islamists Confirmed; FBI Denies Terrorist Ties

Why Aren't We Being Told More Facts About the OKlahoma Suicide Bomber?

Technorati.com

Search Topic: Joel Hinrichs

The Jawa Report

Islamic Terrorism in Oklahoma Likely

Whizbang

Oklahoma Suicide Bomber Had Bigger Plans

ZackScott.net

OU Bombing Resources

Zombietime.com

Crime Scene Overview of the Suicide Bombing in Norman

OTHER NEWS OUTLETS

KKTV.com in Colorado Springs

www.kktv.com...

The Oklahoman (Local Newspaper)

OU explosion timeline

Behaviors may aid investigation, experts say

Father apologizes for son's actions

Security tapes lack blast clues

No terror ties found so far in bomb case

Sources: OU suicide bomber attempted stadium entry

Officer had clue before OU blast

Victim described as quiet

Bomb material found in student’s apartment

Oklahoma Daily (Student Newspaper)

Boren missed obvious risk posed to university

Aftermath affects Muslim community

Hinrichs was angry, depressed

Investigation continues

Who was Joel Henry Hinrichs III?

Death does not affect class

OU releases more information

OU releases more information (Part 2)

Bench on South Oval Replaced

Official: 'Security was prepared'

FBI investigates potential threat

Bombs shake campus

"MAINSTREAM MEDIA" SOURCES

ABCNews.com: Joel Hinrichs (Search) (2 items at time of post) UPDATE: No change as of 10/9/2005

CNN.com: Joel Hinrichs (Search) (2 items at time of post) UPDATE: No change as of 10/9/2005

DrudgeReport.com: Joel Hinrichs (Search) (ZERO items at time of post -- and I know they carried this story briefly) UPDATE: No change as of 10/9/2005

FOXNews.com: Joel Hinrichs (Search) (2 items at time of post, and FOX broke this story!) UPDATE: No change as of 10/9/2005

MSNBC.com: Joel Hinrichs (Search) (6 items at time of post) UPDATE: 5 items as of 10/9/2005. The removed result was apparently a duplicate.

USAToday: Joel Hinrichs (Search) (ZERO items at time of post -- and I know they carried this story briefly) UPDATE: No change as of 10/9/2005

Chip In

I encourage my fellow members to add links to any additional sources they would like me and other members to investigate.

The only satisfactory solution to this mystery will come from hard facts, so let's gather as many of them as we can.

[edit on 10/9/2005 by Majic]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join