It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The snoop in your coupe...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Well, I guess that England isnt the only place that is inviting Big Brother into our cars...

WASHINGTON, Sept. 9 � On a freeway north of Los Angeles, as Ryan Evans�s sleek 1998 Honda Accord coupe speeds above 70 mph, the black box tucked under his front passenger seat grumbles a grating noise, warning the 18-year-old that he�s going too fast.

IF HE DOESN�T ease up on the gas pedal within 10 seconds, the warning gets nastier. That�s when Evans�s souped-up �event data recorder� snitches on him. It will note the speeding incident, along with other dangerous driving behaviors, in a computer file.
�Most people�s first response is, �I don�t want this in my car! It�s an invasion!� But that all changes,� says the Thousand Oaks, Calif., teenager. After 15 months of driving under close scrutiny of the black box, he is convinced he�s a better driver.

www.msnbc.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I do not think that is a bad idea. People speed all the time and need to learn to slow down some.

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 01:29 AM
link   
...just like that British idea of tracking and auto-ticketing cars...they gotta catch my car first if they wanna fit any of that rubbish in it...

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 01:36 AM
link   
uuhhhHahHUUHaaa uaaahhhhhhhhhaaaaa

They snup in yer chickens coop hahaha
Most kids need parenting anyhow.

[Edited on 9/11/2003 by SamaraMorgueAnn]

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Most cars already have some sort of tracking device installed in them at the factory.

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Thats just great..one more thing to worry about.. With all we have to be aware of while driving...

eating

putting on make-up ( women..hopefully..)

talking on the phone

reading the paper

tinkering with the laptop

having domestic disputes

getting the guy who just cut you off

breastfeeding your kid (again women only)

trying to reach the red hot lighter you just dropped under the seat without burning yourself or crushing your cig.

getting the beer out of the cooler in the back seat

watching that cool little auto TV

trying to load the CD changer

and / or tuning the radio....

.....now we gotta worry about watching how fast we drive too? Sheesh, what next..?

posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Part of me wants to say that this is a really good idea, and will more than likely (over time) make the roads (whether they be US or UK) a lot safer

The other part of me however (the petrolhead!) says NO BLOODY WAY!

posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 04:47 PM
link   
They can put it on my car if they want to....it wont STAY on though.

I think it would fall off in the wind

posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Im with alien on this one. I hate any kind of invasive sort of electronics like that.

posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Nothing that a pair of side cutters couldnt cure....

Interesting: my father bought a new Buick and it came with a free 1 year subscription to OnStar. He didnt want it, but the dealer insisted that it was free, and they couldn't "activate" the car without activating the OnStar.

After an hour or so of argueing, my father agreed... they activated OnStar, and he drove it home. Once there, he located the black box, disconnected it and took it out of the car, and connected the black box antenna to his cell phone...

posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I would totally hack that #.

we fool ecu's all day long.

posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider
Nothing that a pair of side cutters couldnt cure....

Interesting: my father bought a new Buick and it came with a free 1 year subscription to OnStar. He didnt want it, but the dealer insisted that it was free, and they couldn't "activate" the car without activating the OnStar.

After an hour or so of argueing, my father agreed... they activated OnStar, and he drove it home. Once there, he located the black box, disconnected it and took it out of the car, and connected the black box antenna to his cell phone...

LOL thats some of the funniest stuff ive ever heard!

posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 01:53 PM
link   
If anyone ever challenges another with enforced systemic paradigms then, it is the responsibility of the victim (both think they are) to walk away from circumstance. Wherever I go, I chose to place my person.

posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Oh, I thought that this was going to be about the new Snoop de Ville. That car is tight.

XAOS

P.S. I read the article, and am convinced that this John Evans either does not exist, or that he is a baptist.

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 12:20 AM
link   

I do not think that is a bad idea. People speed all the time and need to learn to slow down some

I agree with ilovepizza on that one, if it can make the traffic safer it�s a great idea... speeding if #ing stupid.

On the other hand I don�t like those sorts of invasions either and would never have installed it in my own car, hehe. Who knows what other types of # they install at the same time?

I would rather see a total absence of cars in the world, I hate cars and refuse to take the drivers license. Cars are polluting killing machines.

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Your travelling range must be severly small with those kind of feelings.

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Bicycle... hehe..

But later on they'll want to put a fingerprint identifier in your car and tell you it's to protect against joyriding...

Yeeeeaaaaah right!!!

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Cool...more cars for the rest of us car-lovers then...

Besides, you'd just hold us up on the roads, tootling along at a shade below the legal speed limit, in the fast lane, with the old farts/Immigrants/agro females in SUVs who refuse to yield to any other car out of fear the driver might think they are 'dominating' her...refusing to pull over and make way for people who have better things to do with their time rather than bemoan the fact they are driving...

...better look away then...as this is the my average weekend spent polluting Mother Nature...

[Edited on 14-9-2003 by alien]

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Ah yes, its true Kiwi males all think alike

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Your travelling range must be severly small with those kind of feelings.

Actually, I live 15 minutes by buss from my nearest friend and 20 minutes from the nearest busstation where the busses actually depart more often then 3 times a day. I like to walk though, and I feel good about not owning or driving a car. It's not like I dont like people who drive though, its their choise and its very hard to live without a car in some areas. In addition to that, cars can be very fun if you have the right ideas, hehe.

Bicycle... hehe..

Yeah, bicycles are great. My bicycle is missing a tire though.

(Sorry, not my intention to lead the discussion away from the topic)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join