It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Rita. A New Reason To Blame Bush

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Well Seekerof you can not compare the happenings in NO to Houston not only they already had the results of Katrina to go by but also Houston and Galveston are very well to do cities.

I would not expect less from Texas their preparations should be perfect and by the book.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Well Seekerof you can not compare the happenings in NO to Houston not only they already had the results of Katrina to go by but also Houston and Galveston are very well to do cities.

I would oh sooooooooo beg to differ, Marg.
They do not have 'hurricane season' for nothing in the Gulf states region.
Louisiana, Mayor Nagin, and Governor Blanco could have utilized their own schools buses to evacuate people as Galveston is currently doing. Last I heard, they [Galveston local and Texas state officials] are moving/evacuating nearly a million plus people, Marg. Yet, you say that one cannot compare NO and Louisiana to Galveston and Texas??

Yeah, I would sooo beg to differ.
The picture I linked speaks volumes: parked school buses that SHOULD have been used to evacuate those in New Orleans as compared to those school buses being used to evacuate those in Galveston. Hello?!

seekerof

[edit on 22-9-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

I would not expect less from Texas their preparations should be perfect and by the book.

Well-to-do....I think NOT.
In fact, Galveston did not become the economic center of that part of Texas because of another well-known hurricane.
I don't consider that these figures describe well-t-do:

The median income for a household in the city is $28,895, and the median income for a family is $35,049. Males have a median income of $30,150 versus $26,030 for females. The per capita income for the city is $18,275. 22.3% of the population and 17.8% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 32.1% of those under the age of 18 and 14.2% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.

www.northmiami.us...

[edit on 22-9-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Looking at the news coming from the area of Houston it looks like they are not ready at all to handle the population exile.

Right now is people in the roads that have been for 10 to 12 hours trying to get out of the city.

The gas prices are ricing and gas is becoming a problem, water and gas has been send to help the people but even they can not get trough with thousands of people in the roads.

And by the way compare to NO, Houston as a city is much better off economically.

This is a more up to day analisis of the economy of the area of Galveston.

Grey House Publishing's reference book of America's 100 best small cities ranked the Galveston County municipality among the nation's best in the recently published 2004 edition. Population growth was 50.2 percent versus the U.S. growth, which was only at 13.2 percent. The company's research showed that League City's crime rate of 2,631 crimes per 100,000 people was substantially lower than the national average of 4,118. Unemployment, measured in December, was 2 percent lower than the U.S. as a whole, and the city's median household income of $74,368 was substantially higher than the national median of $46,868.
[Galveston Daily News]

Galveston was one of the most wealthy cities of houston until the devastation in 1900. Since then is more of a historical city than anything else.

recenter.tamu.edu...

[edit on 22-9-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   
If you live in a hurricane prone area then you damn well better have flood insurance. I am not at all for rebuilding N.O. and I was born there. You build a town below sea level then it get wiped off the map and you want to spend my dollars to rebuild? NO THANKS. move Nawlens above lake Ponchatrain. I have seen first hand what hurricanes can do since I have a place in Destin FL. Ivan wrecked the place and it is still not rebuilt. Go figure, about 50k people live on the 'redneck rivera' and they want to rebuild N.O.???????????

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Ole MoDo (of the gray lady) is in fine form. Her new nic for Jr. is Stormy:

On Wednesday, Stormy tried to make one of his strained linkages, this time with Katrina and terror. The terrorists, he said, were "the kind of people who look at Katrina and wish they had caused it," while he is the kind of person who looks at Katrina and tries to energize himself to deal with natural disasters by thinking, What if this had been done by terrorists?

On Thursday, he tried to move past the image he had projected of a lost boy wandering alone in the storm, and stood at the Pentagon flanked by his war council, talking about how he was moving to "develop a secure, safe democracy in Iraq." Unfortunately, the Saudi foreign minister was in town dropping a bomblet by saying that Iraq was going down the tubes, a judgment other Sunni Arab leaders had been conveying privately.

After his Pentagon remarks, W. looked at his vice president for approval and received a proud, avuncular smile that said, "You're the Man."

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
It's not about blaming Bush, it's about responding to poor leadership. In the workplace and especially in the military, poor leadership, and inaction (having your head up your behind) leads to termination/court martial. Bush has consistently shown us that he does not have the desire or capability to respond to national crises in a timely and effective manner, it's pathetic.

[edit on 10-10-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join