It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do I need an iPod to listen to PODcasts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Woo Hoo, the answer is NO!

"Podcasting" is a portmanteau word that combines the words "broadcasting" and "iPod." The term can be misleading since neither podcasting nor listening to podcasts requires an iPod or any portable music player. A little-used alternate is "blogcasting", although this usually only refers to recordings that are based on, or similar in format to, blogs.”

ATS PODcasts are simple mp3 files that can be listened to on almost any media player like Winamp or MS Windows Media Player. All you need to do is download the PODcast file to your computer or direct your media player to the file.

This is easily done on the ATS PODcast page or PODcast forum. Simply right click the mp3 file and select “save target as”. This will open a download window where you can select where on your computer you want the file saved. When the file is successfully downloaded simply double click the PODcast and it will be opened in your default mp3 media player allowing you to listen to the broadcast through your computers speakers.

Wikipedia PODcast Description

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
You can also download Apple's Quicktime Player 7 for Mac or Windows

Here's the link for our Windows users

www.apple.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Don't Forget iTunes!

I'm a PC user running Win XP and I use iTunes to follow the feeds:

itunes.com...

It's easy to install and get started. Watch out, though, I recommend not having iTunes store your podcasts in the same directory as Windows Media Player (usually "My Music"). WMP tends to "manage" the files therein and make it so iTunes can't find them.

I created a separate iTunes directory and pointed the iTunes application there, and it works fine. Another tip: I recommend not having iTunes import your music unless you're really sure you want to use iTunes for your music library. I have a huge library with a lot of WMA files, and those can take forever to convert -- basically duplicate -- and this ends up taking up twice the hard disk space.

Other than that, though, it works fine. Although I would like to see more features, I find iTunes very handy for catching the latest podcasts.

But definitely, you DO NOT need an iPod to enjoy ATS podcasts!

Heck, I'm the first ATS Podcast Troll and I don 't even have an iPod -- yet.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
The Apple Quicktime link has the download for both Quicktime and itunes.

I can't wait to see the first ATS VIDEO Podcast UFO documentary.

With Apple's video podcasting capablities this literally gives the average user the
ability to take on the controlled media.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The coolest thing about podcasts - you can listen while you read the forums.

Creating podcasts is another ballgame, and real headache IMO - but well worth the effort.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Thanks for this thread, KingLizard.

I just followed the directions you supplied here and now can listen ot PODcasts as I surf the forums. Very easy to do. Minimum work for maximim results!!!!!

PODcasts = the best thing since sliced bread!!!

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Creating podcasts is another ballgame, and real headache IMO - but well worth the effort.

creating podcasts is actually very easy. I just wrote a thread on the subject and if anyone is having problems they can check it out and have their first podcast up in no time. Here's a link"

The idiots guide to podcasting

Love and light,

Wupy

[edit on 18-9-2005 by mrwupy]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
We constantly hear about the corporate controlled media.

Now anyone with a microphone and a camera can put together a dirty Lil Podcast documentary
that might be considered too controversial or damaging to the powers that be and therefor filtered
by the mainsteam media, knowing that it will see the light of day
on the internet's alternative news sources.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
The coolest thing about podcasts - you can listen while you read the forums.

Soooooo true. I'm listening to one right now. PODcasts are the coolest thing I have ever come across on the net. I'm currently trying to set up my own PODcasting arrangement but I doubt its going to happen within the weekend.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
It is very awesome that people do NOT need an I-pod to podcast.

Here are a few more myths debunked:

1. You will not catch a REAL cat when you go catfishing.

2. You do not actually need a dog to sweat during the dog days of summer.

3. A rabbits foot was not so lucky for the rabbit.

4. A diet coke DOES NOT make up for the Big Mac, fries and ice cream at McD's.

- One man Short!

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Catfishing-

(C'mon. You knew it was going to happen)

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
Catfishing-

(C'mon. You knew it was going to happen)

We only have one man to blame for this thread breaking down into catfishing pictures...and that one man is one man short of manhood!

Sorry everyone

- One Man Short

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Just a quick question, how do i get itunes to download the latest Podcasts. Ive tryed but cant figure it out.

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I think it would ease the learning curve

and perhaps get more interest if

it were referred to as mp3-podcasts

or podcasts/mp3 shows

just the term PODCAST has a certain

inference to it that is not necessarily so

and may be driving people away with the

WRONG IMPRESSION of what THEY THINK it is !

eh ?

toasted

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Hi I really like podcasts and I think that they're some of the best things that you can find on the net but it's much harder to make these then not to. It's pretty cool that you can listen to them while surfing the forums!
!

top topics

join