It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media Matters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I have been strumming along various websites and blogs, reading other people's opinions on the media's whitewashing of katrina, I thought I would bring this well put together piece on this topic:

Corporate Media Spreads Rovian Falsehoods for Bush Admin
Guest blogged by David Edwards

As the right-wing talking heads began their lockstep effort to deflect blame and obscure truth about hurricane relief efforts, Media Matters has been monitoring the lies, distractions and talking points. Media Matters has alerted the media about their continuing efforts of helping to enable the spread of these malicious falsehoods:

In the past week, Bush administration officials and conservative commentators have repeatedly used the national media to spread misinformation about the federal government's widely criticized response to the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina.

1. Bush: "I don't think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees"

2. Chertoff strained credulity in defense of Bush, claimed levee breaks and massive flooding came as a surprise -- more than 12 hours after local media reported them

3. Brown: "We've provided food to the people at the Convention Center so that they've gotten at least one, if not two meals, every single day"

4. Chertoff: "Apparently, some time on Wednesday, people started to go to the convention center spontaneously"

5. Chertoff pointed fingers: "New Orleans officials and the state officials ... called for the Superdome to be the refuge of last resort"

6. Chertoff falsely minimized federal government's role in Katrina response as subordinate to states

7. Wash. Post, Newsweek, Gingrich falsely claimed that Blanco did not declare a state of emergency

8. Gingrich falsely claimed that Nagin could "have kept water pumped out" of city had he ensured that pumps worked

-
Following White House's lead, Special Report investigation into Katrina response shifted blame to state, local officials

Read the Media Matters article and learn how each of the corporate media organizations quickly went from being the brave first-responders we saw reporting the Katrina story to a mere tool for spreading Bush Administration propagana.
Media Matters report

Crooks and Liars also has nice video from MSNBC showing the timeline of lies

Taken from the blog of David Edwards

[edit on 10-9-2005 by TrueLies]

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Through this whole thing, I've been more impressed by media coverage (of the MSM) than I have in as long as I can remember. They actually told the unvarnished truth, by and large, for once. I guess that's what happens when the masses are bombarding you with pleas for help. I think it was painful for all covering it.

This past week I've been hearing some very angry responses to the government from many in the mainstream. Here's an example of just one:

George W. Bush Still Rocks!
Stop criticizing! The rich man's CEO president is executing his job requirements perfectly
- By Mark Morford, SF Gate Columnist
Friday, September 9, 2005

Everyone is slamming poor Dubya. Everyone is saying, oh my God, he's more inept than we ever imagined, he has no idea what's really going on, he's oblivious and in denial and he pretty much let all those poor black people die in filth and misery, and he basically ignored the massive Katrina disaster for days before finally being pressured into cutting his umpteenth vacation short and actually taking action.

This is what they're saying. Kanye West was right, Bush doesn't care about black people, or the poor, or anything that doesn't directly serve his handlers' agenda or flatter his monochromatic ego or anything that isn't spelled out for him in nice simplistic pie charts and reassuring matronly tones.

And lo, the darts are slinging in from around the world, according to SF Gate's own World Views column: "Maddening incompetence ... reminiscent of a drought-stricken African state," says Britain's Daily Mail. "Can't get it together," says a major paper in Italy. "A plethora of grim tales of disaster," says the Scotsman. "Superpower or Third World?" asks the Spanish daily Noticias de Álava. Why did BushCo fail its first great national-security test since Sept. 11, despite having two days' advance notice of Katrina's wrath? asks Le Monde. And on it goes, the world's powers looking on in one part shock and one part disgust and all parts repugnance for Bush's rampant ineptitude and America's apparent inability to take care of its own
www.sfgate.com

I know there are some who will point out that this is an op/ed from liberal SAN FRANCISCO... but let me just say, it is reflective of the widespread media mutiny from all corners of this country. I can only hope the mainstream media continues upon its newfound path of reporting, rather than reverting back to its usual mouthpiece state for official Washington.

mod edit to shorten link

[edit on 10-9-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
So am I the only person on this entire site that has noticed the mainstream media actually doing their job for once?

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Actually East Coast Kid..the coverage has been disgusting on the political front. It has been political..that is the problem with it..from both sides.
These people down there have real problems...Politics and posturing it not going to help them..it can however slow things down.
Furthermore it is disgusting to do so on the backs of people with real problems. Using this kind of disaster to promote a obvious political agenda is pimping/whoredom of the lowest common denominator..no matter who is doing it. It gives the media and anyone associated such a poor name and rightly so.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I think what you're talking about is the politicians' manipulation of the media/people on the back of their disaster.

I was pointing out that the media/reporters were actually telling the unvarnished truth for once.

But worry not - they are reverting back to their subservient selves as we speak.

new topics

top topics

join