It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harry "Satan" Potter

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Do a google search, I got 645,000 hits, all of them are christians screaming about how reading and having fun are evil, how dare people fight against evil, so forth. A fav qoute....

"the new Harry Potter movie is teaching children that they have all the power. In the world of Harry Potter, children wave 11-inch rods to cast spells and routinely backtalk adults. In the Old Testament, adults use 11-inch rods to beat the stuffing out of children (Proverbs 13:24) – and stone them to death if they backtalk (Deuteronomy 21:18-21). Clearly, J. K. Rowling has a defter touch than our Lord when it comes to writing a book that children will kneel before their beds at night and pray is true."

www.lasttrumpetministries.org...
www.worldnewsstand.net...
www.greaterthings.com...
www.exposingsatanism.org...
www.landoverbaptist.org...
www.landoverbaptist.org...
www.jesus-is-savior.com...&%20Witchcraft/harry_potter_is_of_the_devil.htm
www.n-chicken.net...
www.espministries.com...
www.cuttingedge.org...
www.saintsalive.com...
www.geocities.com...
www.libertytothecaptives.net...
www.msnbc.msn.com...

WTH is wrong with people? It's a book! And sure it has a better storyline then the bible, and the characters are more then 2-Dimensional, and the plots are getting better as the series continues, it is still a book! Christians need to find a new hobby besides burning books and making sure pensises don't smell like butt.(Gay Sex)

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jestaman
WTH is wrong with people? It's a book!

I agree with you. I remember, back wehn I used to go to church, them talking about movies like harry potter are satanic. Its bulls***. Just another event thats trying to get us to be followers of some more bias crap.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Satan is involved somehow. How else do you explain the insane extent of those books' success. S-a-t-a-n.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2nd Hand Thoughts
Satan is involved somehow. How else do you explain the insane extent of those books' success. S-a-t-a-n.

How about it's just a really cool story with the right amount of empathy with the characters that has captured people's imagination?

Or the fact that the book deals with topics such as racism?

I cant quite believe you typed that.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 03:19 AM
link   
To everybody who hates harry potter... GET A LIFE!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   
When I was a kid, it was D&D that was the big Satanic thing. I can tell you right now that the only reason that I have such a great visual ability was from playing years of D&D, and having to picture my characters and where we were at any given time during the adventure. They'll always find something good and fun that is Satanic and try to put a stop to it.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by mulberryblueshimmer

Originally posted by 2nd Hand Thoughts

How about it's just a really cool story with the right amount of empathy with the characters that has captured people's imagination?

Or the fact that the book deals with topics such as racism?

I cant quite believe you typed that.

No I'm pretty sure JK Rowling struct a pact with the devil

Me on the right, the harry potter on the left

[edit on 9-9-2005 by sardion2000]

[edit on 9-9-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I'm not in the target range anyway. However, I read the first book and half of the second book.

I see why kids might like them and parents might read them to talk with each other about. I think it's great.

And as for racism, my parents read Huckleberry Finn to me as a kid. Harry Potter has as much to do with racism as the x-men.

It's entertainment and as such it's completely overrated as "literature". Armed guards for the release. Are they even kidding!?!

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
If you want a Christian POV on this--

Witchcraft is forbidden by the Bible, and we're to have nothing to do with it. The good vs. evil thing doesn't wash.

We Christians are merely concerned--that's all. Especially when professing Christians encourage kids to read it when they should know better.

Whether you read it is up to you. We sound the warning and leave it up to people to decide based on the information presented. We are NOT trying to police people, merely inform them.

Look at these links:

Former witch talks about Harry Potter
Another former witch talks about Harry Potter
Why Christians should have nothing to do with Harry Potter

At least read these links before going off on well-meaning Christians. So many people preach "tolerance" and "deny ignorance" yet refuse to consider the Christian's side on anything--which is blatant hypocrisy.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Amethyst, I don't think the problem lies in Christians trying to educate people about the differing ideas, but in that many Christians do come off sounding like they're trying to police people. There's a big difference in saying something like "the Bible forbids witchcraft, so you shouldn't read this," and the smug, arrogant evangelism as in the OP's quote that forces the belief down someone's throat.

For what it's worth, it wouldn't surprise me if Rowling did strike a deal with some sinister force. I don't care--it's still a great story, even if enjoying it is my damnation

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I don't believe you should force any religion/belief on anyone. It's acceptable to state your beliefs and why you believe as you do. It's up to the other person whether or not to convert.

If you disagree with them, don't ridicule them, just get on with your life.

I know we're perceived as party poopers. So be it then.

We Christians can and do have fun though...we just take care that no one gets hurt.

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Look at my siggy for my beliefs. So sad the greatness of the idea of christianity was corrupted by people, power, greed, evil, politicians.

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I'm so sick of the genericized term "Christians" which is an extremely lazy sum-lump stereotype.

Even members of the mormon cult profess themselves to be "Christians".

I'm Roman Catholic and I've never heard anyone I know religiously say anything negative about the Harry Potter books.

This observation isn't aimed at this thread in particular. It's just a huge trend in the media sadly and in my opinoin no different than lumping atheists in with satanists. It's dangerous to seperate everything by a single black and white line while ignoring many important differences of all sorts.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Full Metal--It's VERY hard (well, impossible) to be a Christian without reading the Bible!

Christians, by definition, follow Christ. And He's the one that wrote the Bible--using human instruments, of course. So if a Christian follows Christ, shouldn't it follow that we obey His teachings--which are found in the Bible?

And Jesus is/was God BTW.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
No it's not, reading the bible leads to idiots pounding on people's doors at 3 in the morning throwing holy water on them and morons rolling on the floor speaking in tongues. It leads to corruption of the people! God gave us the 10 Commandments, humans wrote the bible, so I am going to follow what God gave us, not humans.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Full Metal, Why do you believeth in the Ten Commandments? Did you not learneth of them from Evil Books of Human-Men Hand-Writing?

And who are these 3am Holy Water-Throwers and so forth. Are they bushy-headed? Get away if they are and report them once you are safe. And yes, they are related to the Italian Floor-Rolling Tongue-Speakers.

[edit on 3-10-2005 by 2nd Hand Thoughts]

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Harry Potter is a coming-of-age/fantasy/fiction story that is both inspirational and moving. I don;t see how it could be tied with Satan or any of that. I think it is just about kids living in a world that is different, yet has similarities, with our world, and how these people cope. Harry Potter is just therapy to me, plain and simple.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
i read many different kinds of books, Harry Potter to Martina Cole.

i understand where some religions say that they do not support witch-craft, but seriously it is a book. a harmless fun loving book.
where it isnt all about sex, drugs, murder and other criminal activities.

with HP there is the right amount of romance and mystery to make a reader want to read the next book. and i personally love the books.
people who dont like the book, i accept their opinion.

but think about the bigger picture and remember that there is war, terriorism, murder, rape, global warming etc.
kids have always back chatted to their parents, this is another excuse to blame someone else.

PATHETIC!!

oni x x

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
But you don't understand, rape, murder, violence, it's ok as long as there are no bad words. Isn't that just the funniest thing ever? You can have women being raped, beaten, and then tortured to death on tv, but if anyone says Gosh Darn the FCR, GOP, and other religous groups come in and scream and rant and go absolutely nuts!

Good according to FCR/other Christian groups
Rape
Murder
Stealing
Torture
Child Abuse

Bad
"Bad" Language
Magic
Good guys beating bad guys

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
If you want a Christian POV on this--

Witchcraft is forbidden by the Bible, and we're to have nothing to do with it. The good vs. evil thing doesn't wash.

And which version of the bible would it be that you got this? the king james maybe? if it was you need a different copy of the bible.. it is known that not only was the KJV poorly translated, but james also had a few points changed to suit his politics.. amung other things.. he changed "Suffer not a pharmuco (Drug peddler) to live" to "Suffer not a witch to live" he did this to help incite the overly pious of englind against the druid witches of ireland

whats more.. the catholic chruch has had a long history of hidding their own occult practices from the flock, amung other things it is legend that the doors of the notre dame cathedral was built by demons that the priests summoned.. not convinced? i didnt think so.. how about the latin mass? any occultist could tell you that the latin mass wreaks of ritualism

not all ritualistic practice is evil, not all occultism is "witchcraft", Yeshua (jesus) was a Qabalist, which by every deffinition would be considered occultism, but it is the practice of using your own higher powers to serve the light and goodness of the cosmic forces (God)

there is a strong STRONG revival of christian/jewish Qabalism over the past 100 years... and the mainstream christian faiths fear this terribly, as such things mean the end of the modern churches loosing control of the masses

a quick note, Qabalism is the study of force, form and spirit.. for which we get the holy trinity, judism and thusly christiandom are based on it.. it uses meditation and ritualism to promote a state of peace and calm by which one may listen for the very quiet voice of god

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join