It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you know Hebrew? I need to ask three questions.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Well, first, I need to know if there is a symbol in Hebrew for the number Zero. Yes, I know Hebrew letters and numbers are interchangable, but I didn't see a Zero on the conversion chart.

Second, I need to know when it's proper to write numbers thusly: 01, 02, 03, 04 05, 06, 07, 08, 09.

Third, how do you write numbers like, say, 27 in Hebrew?

If my plan works, I'll get back in touch with ya'll and tell why I needed this info, okay? Thanks!

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
the concept of "zero" wasn't created until aroud 1000 bc to 1000 ad, with its introduction to european cultures in the 8th century. The concept of zero is referred to as 'Shunya' (meaning void or nothing) in the early Sanskrit texts of the 4th century BC

for numbers preceded by a zero is most often used in accounting when trying ot line up colums of numbers, and the zero acts as a place holder. Most often you will see it with dates

here is a good site on hebrew numbers and counting.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Well, Jehosephat, I'm very curious as to how someone might denote such things as Calender dates, GPS coordinates, phone numbers, Code-written dates, (in Cobal, a six digit date is a must!), and any such applications where we in English need a zero. If they use Western Symbols for such things, as many non-English-speaking countries do, that's fine too.

[edit on 30-8-2005 by Toelint]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
actaully you would be suprised how often what we use called the Arabic "numbering system" is used thruout the world.. and it really isn't arabic but given to us by the arabs from the indians. Even in Japan and China you can see what appears to be english numbers being used amoung their writing.

It really depends on where you are and when. often a little resurch into signs of places in the area can give you some clue

top topics

join