It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Iraqi Great Escape that never was, Iraq Resistance Goes Underground

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The Iraqi Great Escape that never was, I must say they that they where definitely determined. It seems the Americans where on to something from the evidence. Would 200 or more Iraq's have gotten away if the plan had not been leaked by an Iraqi informer.

In Iraq Jail, Resistance Goes Underground

Snip~~

The discovery of what came to be known as "The Great Escape"

CAMP BUCCA, Iraq -- In the darkest hours before dawn, groups of 10 detainees toiled 15 feet beneath Compound 5 of America's largest prison in Iraq. The men worked in five-minute shifts, digging with shovels fashioned from tent poles and hauling the dirt to the surface with five-gallon water jugs tethered to 200 feet of rope. They bagged it in sacks that had been used to deliver their bread rations and spread it surreptitiously across a soccer field where fellow inmates churned it during daily matches, guards and detainees recalled.

The 105th Military Police Battalion, charged with running Camp Bucca in the scorching desert of southernmost Iraq, knew something was amiss: Undetectable to the naked eye, the field's changing color was picked up by satellite imagery. The excavated dirt was also clogging the showers and two dozen portable toilets. The dirt was showing up under the floorboards of tents; some guards sensed that the floor itself seemed to be rising. Mysteriously, water use in the compound had spiked.

Hours before the planned prison break on March 24, an informant tipped off the Americans, who then drove a bulldozer across Compound 5. What they discovered was breathtaking: a fully completed tunnel that stretched 357 feet, longer than a football field. Inside were flashlights built from radio diodes and five larger spaces to provide ventilation. The tunnel's walls were as smooth and strong as concrete, sculpted with water and, the Americans believe, milk. The exit, beyond the compound's fence, was camouflaged with sand-colored cardboard.

Washington Post subscription required

The Real Great Escape
the incredible true story of the mass escape of 76 Allied POWs from Stalag Luft III in March of 1944.

[edit on 25/8/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Wow, that's impressive.
There were similar stories about German prisoners in WW2 and I wondered how they got away with it but it's even stranger that it is still happening.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
This should have never happened, are we that stupid and naive not to install simple ground sensors in the soil?

[edit on 25-8-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Amen westpoint...I mean I installed a $99.95 ground sensor from Home Depot® because I thought my neighbor was tunneling under my property to get to my swimming pool from the bottom up...turns out it was just a bunch of moles...but still...$100 for piece of mind...priceless. The government could learn a thing or two from Home Depot®.

[edit on 25-8-2005 by 12 12 2012]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
12 12 2012

You sound like the true conspirator

Now as for the detainees finding a way out, is not surprise. Did Saddam have them digging holes all over Baghdad at one time?, the Iraqis should be masters of underground covering and digging occurs.

[edit on 25-8-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
12 12 2012

You sound like the true conspirator

You think the neighbor/mole incident was good...you should have been at my place of work one time when I dumped water into my computer to quickly short it out because I thought the person beside me was using a mirror to read my posts on ATS...turns out she was just fixing her hair alot (checking it in the mirror) because she was have an affair with the boss!

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I’m sure if she was that easy you at lest got some compensation for your computer incident from her right? Or do you still keep a lookout for her over your cubical?

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I’m sure if she was that easy you at lest got some compensation for your computer incident from her right? Or do you still keep a lookout for her over your cubical?

I tell you He most fell right at home within the ATS conspiracy boards.

12 12 2012 You should be a secret agent.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

12 12 2012 You should be a secret agent.

You know...in my head, I am already a secret agent!!!!

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
This just in, US troops on the look out for the tunnel ring leader!

Seriously thou, what a top job by the Iraqi's! Escaping prisoners aside and the obvious trouble that could cause on the outside, you gotta give credit when credits due when an extrodinary human effort is made.

I wonder if the US picked up the clues before they were tipped off or afterwards? Seems odd they'd pick up all those clues yet they only foiled the plan because they were tipped off about it, kind of makes it sound like they are trying to make it out like they were on to it before they got the tip off.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12 12 2012
You know...in my head, I am already a secret agent!!!!

SO, why the shades account?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Here are a few more points about me the community should know, aside from the fact that I am a cerebral-secret agent.

1. There is actually a shadow-me, therefore what I say on this board is probably the exact opposite of what I want me to believe that I would actually say!

2. I have seen the anti-grav units out at Area51, turns out to be pulleys from the hangar ceiling with REALLY long ropes.

3. If I were a time traveler I would travel in a 1982 AMC eagle 4x4 2 door.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
3. If I were a time traveler I would travel in a 1982 AMC eagle 4x4 2 door

All I got'a say is "SHOTGUN"

Y'r Canadian friend,
Sven

new topics

top topics

join