It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long is the Great Red Spot keep going on Jupiter.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

The Great Red Spot is remarkably stable, having first been spotted over 300 years ago. Several factors may be responsible for its longevity, such as the fact that it never encounters solid surfaces over which to dissipate its energy and that its motion is driven by Jupiter's internal heat. Simulations suggest that the Spot tends to absorb smaller atmospheric disturbances.

At the start of 2004, the Great Red Spot is approximately half as large as it was 100 years ago. It is not known how long the Great Red Spot will last, or whether this is a result of normal fluctuations.

even though it was spotted 300 years ago, i dont know how long it has been doin that since being discovered, so right now it says that in 2004 its half the size, so im wondering, will Jupiter keep the Great Red Spot, or will it disappear?

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
It'll probably disappear.

The Great Dark Spot on Neptune disappeared in just a matter of years. It was about the size of the Earth when it was discovered by Voyager 2 in 1989. When Hubble was up and running it had disappeared.

Anyway, just going on the similarities between the two, I would stick by saying it'll disappear. I donno when though.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I wonder what causes such a large noticable disturbance. Could it be asteroids that cause it?

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
I wonder what causes such a large noticable disturbance. Could it be asteroids that cause it?

I would doubt that... When Shoemaker-Levy 9 impacted it didn't create storms like that. Its probably because the bands of gas are counter-rotating and so it just ended up being superturbulent in that one spot by chance.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 06:02 AM
link   
newb question: i always wanted to know that whats in the great red spot? whats made it survies that long? it is deadly when you enter that area?

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   
According to everything I've read, it's a giant storm system. The entire atmosphere is extremely deadly, but that area is even worse. Think hurricane the size of many many Earths, in an extremely high pressure environment.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I live in FL, and I'd have to say if a hurricane similar to the great red spot were coming for my hometown, I would evacuate.

It is interesting, however, I am not very interested in geophysics.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by T_Jesus
I live in FL, and I'd have to say if a hurricane similar to the great red spot were coming for my hometown, I would evacuate.

It is interesting, however, I am not very interested in geophysics.

Were are you going to evacuate to considering its bigger then the earth?

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by num1
newb question: i always wanted to know that whats in the great red spot? whats made it survies that long? it is deadly when you enter that area?

I dont know what is in it, gases?

and yes of course its deadly, thers no breathable atmosphere there.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 03:52 AM
link   
alright i'm sorry i have to ask this stupid question but i've always woundered this...satern and jupitar and neptune are all gassious planets...correct? so is there any actual solid mass to those planets? assuming for a moment that we could stand the atmosphere, is there hard ground to land on?

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by umwolves123
alright i'm sorry i have to ask this stupid question but i've always woundered this...satern and jupitar and neptune are all gassious planets...correct? so is there any actual solid mass to those planets? assuming for a moment that we could stand the atmosphere, is there hard ground to land on?

umm i guess so, i mean if a planet has a core than it must have an outer crust, with out it its going to be an star

new topics

top topics

join