It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whales Flying To England

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I have just spotted an article in the local rag claiming an attempt may be made to reintroduce Grey whales to waters around the UK.

AMBITIOUS plans have been unveiled to fly 50 grey whales from California to Cumbria.
If the plans go ahead it would mean re-introducing a species to the UK which has been extinct here for 400 years.
It would also make Cumbria one of only three sites in the world to have a population of the whales, the others being the coast of north America and Korea, although the latter is under threat of extinction.
The idea is to fly 50 of the 40-ton whales across from California to the Irish Sea off the Cumbria coast at the Solway Firth.

A nice idea in theory I suppose but could this actually work. I know the did it in Start Trek, but this is a bit different I think. Surely the whales will get awfully stressed by such a journey.

The whales, which grow up to 50 feet long, would make a 12-hour journey on cargo planes before being released back into the sea.

Also, will the whales be suited to these new surroundings? I tell you what, if I was a whale I'd rather live off the coast of California than in the Irish sea.

Whole Article

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
DAMN!,

its accent isn't it??

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I too read that in the News & Star, a local paper of Cumbria.

Struck me as quite amazing.

Out of all the places in the world, they decide on Cumbria.

I actually feel quite priviliged.

KhiueSamphan, by the way, Carlisle isn't in Scotland, it's in England!

join