It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The universe too queer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Is the universe beyond our understanding? Some seems to think so;
news.bbc.co.uk...

Do you think you have a fairly accurate grasph of the universe and everything?

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Cows in a pasture think everything is cool with all the good grass and the ocasional bull. Never even thinking that the truck is on the way to take them to the slaughter house.

Perspictive viewed from arrogance often turns out to be just illusion.

My mentor, Dr. Georgre Agigino, once told me that explaining the cosmos to a human would be like explaining the rules of seven card stud to a pig.

i'm an arrogant, educated SOB but I know my grasp of the universe is like that of the aforementioned pig.

The Universe; I can't even understand my GF or anyother interpersonal relationship. Most of the RSGs [real smart guys] I know, Know we don't know. Lots of people however need to be grounded in some religion, physics or other dicipline because fear of the unknown makes them very uncomfortable. Bless their hearts!!

When and If the unified field theory is finally figured out; it will probably be figured out, not by an academic, but by a schizopherinic.

Peace!

[edit on 13-7-2005 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Cows in a pasture think everything is cool with all the good grass and the ocasional bull. Never even thinking that the truck is on the way to take them to the slaughter house.

Perspictive viewed from arrogance often turns out to be just illusion.

My mentor once told me that explaining the cosmos to a human would be like explaining the rules of seven card stud to a pig.

i'm an arrogant, educated SOB but I know my grasp of the universe is like that of the aforementioned pig.

The Universe; I can't even understand my GF or anyother interpersonal relationship. Most of the RSGs [real smart guys] I know, Know we don't know.

Peace!

I think that pretty much sums it up. I apply the same logic to understanding God, it's a similar concept to me.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Cop-out.

It's not science to say "We can't understand this, oh well." The worst you can say is "We'll have to wait until we do this and this and this first."

We don't intend to understand it, we intend to want to know what there is to understand.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Wanting to understand and having the capicity to understand are two different things Mory.

I want a Hummer but my bank account tells me my capicity calls for a Neon.

Perhaps you suffer from the "I'm Human made in Gods image syndrome"

I'm not saying that we won't know in the future. We Will if we can get over our Addiction to power, control and the attitude of the childlike "Me first"

Humans have the capicity to know ALL things but from my perspective; we're not getting smarter we're getting dumber. Technology advancement just shows that a FEW people are getting smarter.

Peace!!

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I liked this quote especially.
"Events of 7/7 and 9/11 remind us that we do not live in three different worlds; we live in one world."

He's not talking about the universe per se but about which world the average human is living in. I know I'm living in my own imaginary bubble, where my space is my space, something I can control and adapt to.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
Cop-out.

It's no cop out, it's just that some people are smart enough to know that science CAN'T answer everything, as most people know, and coupled with that, just because we are the most intelligent species we know, doesn't automaticcaly entitle us to understanding "everything" in it's most extreme sense.

In other words, the only person who says "We can find out anything, and anything that can't be explained doesn't exist" is a fool on a hill of self importance.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
No, we will never fully understand the universe we live in. We are 3 dimensional, and many things are most likely out of our realm of imagination.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghaele
Do you think you have a fairly accurate grasph of the universe and everything?

Of course not, this is something that every self aware civilization is constantly striving towards.

What would happen if someone did have a grasp of how everything was interrelated? Do you think they would be here posting on a fringe website?

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Einstein thought the universe was ultimately knowable and then stumbled over quantum physics. I agree with Dawkins in so far as our brains have evolved to allow us to survive on this planet. Oddly, though, our brains are capable of imagining things that go far beyond what we can see and feel and to understand abstractions such as pi. We can fill a room full of men with slide rules and bring a failed moon mission back to earth with living astronauts and hit a comet with a rocket so far away most of us can't even imagine it.

Man will come to understand the universe when he comes to understand the whole of the universe, not just "middle view" and the subatomic view. That may be a long, long time, but there will be plenty of time.

If I could reorder my brain, I too, would choose to be mathematical genius. Math is the language of the universe and someday someone again with a genius like that of Einstein will be born who will explain it all to us. That is if we don't abort him before he draws his first breath.

[edit on 2005/7/24 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

top topics

join