It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: U.S. Raises Alert on Train System to Orange

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Following the attack in London, the U.S. has reacted by raising the terror alert on Trains only all across the country to Orange status, one level up from yellow at which the system has been for the past months. The Department of Homeland Security has asked all major cities to be extra vigilant on their transit systems.

www.foxnews.com
WASHINGTON — Federal authorities raised the national terror level to orange but only for the U.S. rail network, a move that affects Amtrak, commuter trains, subways and other rail systems, officials told FOX News.

Officials with the Homeland Security Department (search) plan to announce the plan at a 11:45 a.m. EDT news conference. Orange signifies "high" on the government's five-step terror-alert system. The rest of the nation is staying at yellow, or :elevated," for now.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This of course should be the natural reaction of the Homeland Security Department. We only pray that this is precautionary and not the result of any direct threats.

[edit on 7-7-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
For those who might not know. Yellow status means "Elevated" (the condition under which most of the country has been and remains to be) and Orange means "High".

It is also interesting to note that France has raised it's color coded alert system from Orange to Red
France raises terror alert level

another interesting tidbit from the wires:
Suspicious Car Near Treasury Prompts Security Caution

As expected, nerves are frayed and tensions are high all around the world today, we should probably expect a few more similar "suspicious incidents" throughout the day.

[edit on 7-7-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Naah... no use... They wount attack any more... They'll wai and wait... And when we let our guards down... PUUFFF...

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Another case of the US being reactive instead of proactive.

By them elevating the level to Orange after the fact tells me that the Department of Homeland Security, the CIA, or the FBI had no knowledge of the bombing prior to it happening.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr. Know
Another case of the US being reactive instead of proactive.

By them elevating the level to Orange after the fact tells me that the Department of Homeland Security, the CIA, or the FBI had no knowledge of the bombing prior to it happening.

Agreed. I'm sure it's difficult to be on top of everything, but publically announcing to the terrorists that we now have our guard up could be counter-productive. For one, it had the desired phsycological effect. An incident has occured causing paranoia and insecurity over the masses. They know this and that's why they do it. These reactions only serve to encourage more attacks.
Terrorism, to me at least, is a mind game. It's a mind game more than a type of warfare. The color-code system is somewhat pointless when you consider we should always be on guard in these times. By having this color system and announcing our increase in security [and paranoia], we play right into their hands. I say let them think our guard is down when it really isn't. I think I would be more prone to slip up if I had no idea what was being watched and what wasn't.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr. Know

But...according to some of the posts I've read in other threads, it was BUSHCO that pulled off the bombings in London.

Seriously, I think that raising the alert level has a positive effect on the general populace, since they see it as the gov't doing something.

I doubt that the alerts mean anything anyway... the elevated security methods were probably in effect within ten minutes of the first explosion in London.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Let's hope not just alerts get increased, but a lot more money as well- earmarked for our vulnerable train/rail/bus systems. The tragic London bombings seems to have sunk in a little more than Madrid.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Three weeks before London's bus and subway bombings Thursday, a Senate committee voted to slash spending on mass transit security in the United States, a decision sure to be reversed when Congress returns next week.

the Senate Appropriations Committee voted last month to slash money for rail and transit security grants to state and local government by a third from the $150 million devoted to them this year. As of May, none of the money had been distributed by the Homeland Security Department.

The House would match current funding in a bill it passed in May. President Bush proposed bundling rail, transit and bus security grants into one $600 million program that would also fund security improvements at ports and other critical facilities such as chemical plants. Both the House and Senate have rejected that idea.

The White House budget proposal for the TSA contained $4.7 billion for aviation security and just $32 million for railroads, subways, buses and other forms of surface transportation.

www.cnn.com...

new topics

top topics

join