It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OICW-style weapons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Nordic countries have a weapon development project called the "Squad Support Weapon" (SSW) programme. It is very similar to the OICW programme, maybe a different approach will result in creating the perfect XXIst century gun?
The idea of the weapon is that in about 2025 most conflicts will take place in urban areas as most of the world's population then (80%) will live in cities. For fighting in such environment, a new type of weapon is required: providing light weight and great firepower.
The idea was to create a gun consisting of a PDW (smaller caliber and weight than in the OICW's rifle as in cities fighting doesn't take place in ranges below 300m) and a GL (to wipe out enemy soldiers in buildings with one shot).
The PDW ammo chosen for the project is 5,7mm used in FN's P90. The grenade launcher caliber is planned to be 40mm. As in XM29 and XM25, the ammo is going to be programmabe.

Two weapons were selected for future tests (2006-2008) and the one selected will be issued to troops around 2010.

Norwegian Nammo gun:

sistemadearmas.sites.uol.com.br...
It's length is 690mm, it weights 6,3kg loaded with 5 40mm grenades and a magasine of 20 PDW 5,7mm bullets.

ATK/Singapore STK gun:

www.specops.superhost.pl...
Also short (705mm), though a bit heavier. It weigths 6,3 kg with 4 grenades.

Translated from Sistema de Armas site, pictures also from this site.

Edit: pictures wouldn't show up, added links.

[edit on 24-5-2005 by Johnny]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Australians also have their weapon development project, the AICW: Advanced Individual Combat Weapon. There are, of course, more similarities with the OICW than just the name.

The weapon is developed by Metal Storm and Tenix Defense Systems. The revolutionary Metal Storm technology will be used in the automatic grenade launcher (calibers tested were 20-45mm). The KE component’s base is a modernized 5,56mm Steyr AUG rifle, easily recognized. The advanced aiming system for grenades is based on what was developed in the Land Warrior/OICW program.

30mm prototype
dboy.cpgl.net... large picture

It’s interesting feature is the method of reloading grenades: there is no magazine as in OICW, entire barrel will be replaced. I wonder if this decreases reload time or will be an annoying operation. This method of reloading is typical for Metal Storm weapons. Probably, because grenades will be launched without use of any mechanisms and only electronics, weight will be reduced.

Also, as seen in the pictures, different calibers of grenades might be available. That’s a great advantage.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 05:57 AM
link   
A weapon comparable to the XM25 grenade launcher is the FN 40mm High-Impulse Weapon System (HIWS). It was introduced during the 2004 Blackwater Shootout.

Designed for use either as a stand-alone system or mounted as a modular undercarriage launcher, the HV-40 fires both the high-velocity rounds used in MK-19 automatic grenade launchers and the low-velocity ammo designed for M-79s and M-203s. The high-velocity rounds sail out to 2,000 meters, and have an effective engagement range of 600 meters.
The folks at FNH are still refining the design of the prototype, proof-of-concept HV-40 unveiled at this year's Shoot-out. The system currently weighs about 7,7kg; its target weight is 6,8kg. It's 31 inches long and, without its sight, 9.25 inches high. A three-round, magazine-fed prototype is under development.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Chinese OICW... not many details on it yet

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Wait! Let me guess what's going to happen next! Somebody's gonna jump in and claim it's a copy of something!

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taishyou
Wait! Let me guess what's going to happen next! Somebody's gonna jump in and claim it's a copy of something!

yep its a copy and u dare me to jump on it
. in any case all the weapons are similar in capabilites and do the same job which is to maximize the lethality of the weapon. same as the world's tanks, all the modern tanks are similar in capabilities and does the same job.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
hey Johnny the first pic shows wat looks like dial buttons similar to a phone, is that a mobile phone or a security system where u have to punch the codes to make the weapon turn from safe to lock and load and ready to fire.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
hey Johnny the first pic shows wat looks like dial buttons similar to a phone, is that a mobile phone or a security system where u have to punch the codes to make the weapon turn from safe to lock and load and ready to fire.

I don't really think they'd add a mobile phone to a gun (more likely communication devices will be in a high tech super advanced cool looking helmet).
I think that Australians intend to move the configuration switches and buttons closer to the trigger- it's more ergonomic and easier to use this than what was proposed in the OICW.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Sorry, haven't noticed the links to the SSW wouldn't work. Here is the link to both designs for the nordic weapon.

An interesting fact about Singapore's Stk SSW: it will propably be the first weapon of it's class in production: work on the OICW is ceased (and divided into future M8 and M25) and when australian and chinese developments are planned to be completed in 10 years, works on the SSW will be finished in 3-4 years. Nammo must finish their development in this time too BUT Norwegians will only participate in the project and not begin selling their weapon like STK will.

STK SSW is planned to give soldiers protection against futuristic threats: it will be the first weapon enabling soldiers to destroy VTOL devices.

[edit on 26-5-2005 by Johnny]

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
i think the OICW is still continuing.

www.blakops.net...

www.blakops.net...

www.blakops.net...

a1112.g.akamai.net...

they are just testing new materials to make it lighter, and probably use lessons learn wen the grunts are using the xm 8 and wat suggestions the soldiers in the field can bring back to add or subtract from the xm29 weapon. like durability and reliability.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnny
Australians also have their weapon development project, the AICW: Advanced Individual Combat Weapon. There are, of course, more similarities with the OICW than just the name.

The weapon is developed by Metal Storm and Tenix Defense Systems. The revolutionary Metal Storm technology will be used in the automatic grenade launcher (calibers tested were 20-45mm). The KE component’s base is a modernized 5,56mm Steyr AUG rifle, easily recognized. The advanced aiming system for grenades is based on what was developed in the Land Warrior/OICW program.

30mm prototype
dboy.cpgl.net... large picture

It’s interesting feature is the method of reloading grenades: there is no magazine as in OICW, entire barrel will be replaced. I wonder if this decreases reload time or will be an annoying operation. This method of reloading is typical for Metal Storm weapons. Probably, because grenades will be launched without use of any mechanisms and only electronics, weight will be reduced.

Also, as seen in the pictures, different calibers of grenades might be available. That’s a great advantage.

Hey, tnx 4 the post. The Austrailians seem 2 have the best of them all, so far. I think we should b ready 2 buy some of those. Plus, with the AUG Gun, good range, can b equiped with a 42-rd mag[instead of the 30], plus, it's still compact with all that. Now, what about the Range 4 the Grenade Launchers? And if they could get a 6.8 version......

The SSW seems kind of sucky: 5.7mm round, 20 rd clips, but the grenade launcher seems okay, just the PDW underneath it.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
STK SSW does have some good points, I just rather have the HK's PDW Ammunition, the 4.6mm, and have a fixed version of the MP7, then, it would b better, but the 5.7mm isn't really that good compared 2 the 4.6mm. The only things the P90, with 5.7mm, has over the MP7, 4.6mm, is that 10 more rds per mag,
really worth it, and it's rd is obviously larger, but sense the MP7 fires at a higher velocity, that shouldn't even matter.

And 4 the Austrailian ACIW, I rather reload the grenades as a pump-shotgun than replacing the barrel. Still pretty good though.

[edit on 28-5-2005 by SEAL Trident]

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Sad that my country (germany), hasnt any OICW plans, while we have a new infantrist, plan for electro-thermal, rail-gun or 140mm cannon main battle tanks, develop new IFVs, APCs, armoured Jeeps, mini-tanks, fighting helicopters, transport planes/helicopters, Fighterbombers(Mako), .....
NO OICW-like weapon!

Anybody gets that? Have they just forgot it, or will they just take out of the dump again the G11 project, instead of this dual-cannon weapon system?

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wodan
Sad that my country (germany), hasnt any OICW plans, while we have a new infantrist, plan for electro-thermal, rail-gun or 140mm cannon main battle tanks, develop new IFVs, APCs, armoured Jeeps, mini-tanks, fighting helicopters, transport planes/helicopters, Fighterbombers(Mako), .....
NO OICW-like weapon!

Anybody gets that? Have they just forgot it, or will they just take out of the dump again the G11 project, instead of this dual-cannon weapon system?

Wait, wouldn't this b 1?

www.hkpro.com...

The American M29 is what HK is making/helping with.

[edit on 28-5-2005 by SEAL Trident]

new topics

top topics

join