It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush's Legacy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Think of the most famous and most respected presidents in US history. Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln are probably ones that come to mind for most Americans. Each of them had a some what of a common theme. Extreme devotion and adoration from one side of people, and extreme bitter hatred from another. Each took part one some of the most impacting moments in our history. And are now logged in the history books as a few of the most popular presidents we've had.

So, my question is, what will Bush's legacy be? And I'm not talking about his legacy today, tommorrow, or even in 10 years. How about 50, or 100 years from now? If he can get Democracy to work in the middle east (and remember, I said IF), will he also go down as one of our most popular and beloved presidents as well?

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
There is at least one characteristics than makes Bush stand out from the harang of his predecessors. That is, too many people consider him not a bright person. This simply cannot be said about the likes of Lincoln (terrific speech maker), Jefferson et al.

Last I checked, Lincoln did not use a wireless link to guide him through a press conference.

Also, what Lincoln has accomplished was something great, and a defining moment in the Nation's history -- the end of the Civil war, survival of the Union, abolishing the slavery.

Bush has nothing on that. He has defeated no one. He has not reconciled no one.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Actually Aelita, it's interesting you bring up Lincoln. Democratic leaning papers of the day often attacked Lincoln's intelligence and depicted him as an ape in political cartoons...sound familiar?

[edit on 5/17/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
There is at least one characteristics than makes Bush stand out from the harang of his predecessors. That is, too many people consider him not a bright person. This simply cannot be said about the likes of Lincoln (terrific speech maker), Jefferson et al.

Last I checked, Lincoln did not use a wireless link to guide him through a press conference.

This is a very good point!

Also, what Lincoln has accomplished was something great, and a defining moment in the Nation's history -- the end of the Civil war, survival of the Union, abolishing the slavery.

Bush has nothing on that. He has defeated no one. He has not reconciled no one.

I'm not so sure that people will look at it that way in 50 to 100 years. If history is written by the winners, and Bush is able to bring democracy to the middle east, coupled with his campaign against "terrorist", I think that it's possible that those who were not alive during his term will look at it as a very impacting career.

Now, keep in mind, I am saying this as someone who did not vote for this president, and who does not support this war. I'm just trying to put myself into a possible scenerio of what people far away in the future will look back upon his terms.

[edit on 17-5-2005 by mpeake]

new topics

top topics

join