It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: North Korea Agrees to Meet With South, Nuclear Talks on Agenda

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Officials from the two Koreas will meet for talks on Monday to discuss the North Korea nuclear issue, normalization of ties between the two sides, and the North's requests for aid from the South. The two nations have not communicated since a falling out last July when South Korea airlifted hundreds of North Korean defectors to Seoul.

www.ctv.ca
North Korea asked the South for the meeting Saturday, according to Pyongyang's official Korean Central News Agency. The talks were proposed in a telephone message to South Korea's Unification Minister Chung Dong-young, "prompted by the desire to put the inter-Korean relations on a normal track," KCNA reported.

South Korean officials will deliver growing international concerns about the nuclear standoff and "urge the North to respond to calls for early resumption of six-nation talks," Rhee said. Other topics at the two-day talks would include Seoul's fertilizer aid to Pyongyang and arranging meetings of separated families of the two Koreas.

The communist state declared Feb. 10 that it had nuclear weapons and would indefinitely boycott six-party disarmament talks until the United States drops its "hostile" policy toward it.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is obvious that North Korea is feeling the pressure of food shortages for the government to contact South Korea first. With the North obviously in desperate need of aid, this may be a prime opportunity for South Korea to use that leverage and diffuse the nuclear standoff peacefully, or at least convince the North to return to the six-party nuclear talks.

Last July, South Korea airlifted North Korean refugees to Seoul. The South claimed that they were transported from Vietnam, but it is likely this was a fabricated story designed to pacify the North.

North Korea Denounces South for Giving Asylum to Defectors

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com
www.smh.com.au
asia.news.yahoo.com

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
The talks will be commencing today. Let's hope the SOuth Koreans can succeed where others have failed.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
The fact that the North asked for the meeting is encouraging. Maybe they feel that despite the separation, they can convey their concerns and desires with their southern brothers easier than with the west. We can only hope that this is the first step to progress.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I woke up at 3am this morning and turned on BBC and saw it all over their news, Kim doesn't looked to pleased about this, The whole "A mere mortal is coming to our country" sorta thing going on.

I do wonder how this will turn out, South Korea has been pushing for this and they got it. Which is good.

[edit on 3/10/2007 by lepracornman]

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 03:31 AM
link   
This is great news!

I hope the US keeps it's nose out of it.

Most of you would be surprised at how much Korea really wants unification.
I had the pleasure of living in South Korea for some time and I was surprised by the number of people that confided to me their feelings that it is the US that has kept reunification for happening.

South Korea will not submit to the pseudo-communist rule of the North, but neither do I feel they need to adhere to Western capitalistic systems. I said as much to many people I spoke to. My hope is that through talks, they can establish something better to govern a single Korea.

new topics

top topics

join