It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Italian Media Publishes Censored US Report Details

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Several newspapers in Italy have published previously censored details of the US report on the death of Nicola Calipari. The censored material contains the names and ranks of all American military personnel involved and details of the rules of engagement at the checkpoint where the Italian agent was killed.

news.bbc.co.uk
A Greek medical student at Bologna University who was surfing the web early on Sunday found that with two simple clicks of his computer mouse he could restore censored portions of the report.

He passed the details to Italian newspapers which immediately put out the full text on their own websites.

The official Italian report on the incident expected to be published this week will accuse the American military of tampering with evidence at the scene of the shooting.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Italian government disagreed with the US report and is to make its own version public this week (today I think).

Revealing this info seems a bold move by the Italian media and certainly isn't going to help the countries relations. The Italian version of events should make for interesting reading....

[edit on 1-5-2005 by kegs]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   

two simple clicks of his computer mouse he could restore censored portions of the report

This is so old (the ability) that I have suspicions that someone wanted someone 'exposed.'

Good find

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   
The Italian report will be issued at 16.00 GMT today. The report is expected to accuse the US of "tampering with the incident scene" and removing evidence. Serious charges.

news.bbc.co.uk...

DIFFERING ACCOUNTS
US military: Car approaches checkpoint at high speed
Troops attempt to tell driver to stop with arm signals, lights and warning shots
Soldiers shoot into engine

Italian government: Italy makes all necessary contacts with the US for safe passage
The driver stops immediately when a light flashes 10m away
At the same time, shots are fired into car for 10-15 seconds

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   
that would be interesting to follow. for sure something had ahppened out there. i wouldn't be surprised that the US and Italian government arranged something to make sure that
1- The US would not be guilty because of bad image
2- The italian governement don't want to have to much publicity about that because they went to war, against the italian people feeling

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
How in the hell was a non-redacted version available on a webserver at all, let alone able to be retrieved by a few clicks?

It does sound like someone intentionally leaked this.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   

How in the hell was a non-redacted version available on a webserver at all, let alone able to be retrieved by a few clicks?

As far as I'm aware, the Pentagon posted the report on its website after censoring lots of the text. The Greek student seems to have easily outwitted its censoring techniques; so it doesn't look intentional. Just sloppy on the part of the Pentagon.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
See and download the 2 versions in today Corriere della Sera.

Corriere della Sera

For those unfortunate who do not read Italian in the top article
Under the main headline "Casini :Chiediamo la verita' su Capilari"
click on the small headline ■ Il testo con e senza le cancellature

a new window will open with both docs (in original english)

Ciao

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Some threads that need to mentioned in this topic and should be looked at.
American Soldiers Cleared In Italian Agents Death
Classified text in US Sgrena report

They contain some pertinent information relating to what is being detailed and posted in this topic.

seekerof

[edit on 2-5-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
unfortunatly a fair portion is blacked out. too bad would have been a rather interesting read.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by drogo
unfortunatly a fair portion is blacked out. too bad would have been a rather interesting read.

see my prior post of the Corriere della Sera the full version is there.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   

as posted by kegs
Italian government: Italy makes all necessary contacts with the US for safe passage ...

According to this information, it appears that the Italian government did not make all the necessary contacts. That is also according to the Italian general there in Iraq:

As far as whether the Americans knew about Calipari's mission at all, Italian newspapers answered that question in March, when two of them reported that not only did Italian commander not tell the Americans about the hostage release, he may not have known about it himself. General Mario Marioli sent his report to Rome, where presumably investigators still have access to it. The reason for the secrecy emerged within days of Sgrena's release and subsequent wounding, when Italy's ransom payment to the terrorists became public knowledge. Under those circumstances, the notion that Americans had been informed of the progress of Sgrena and Calipari becomes very doubtful; Italian secrecy about the mission from its American partners becomes a likely explanation for the miscoordination.

Italians To Present Rebuttal Today

seekerof

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Thanks Seekerof. I hadn't noticed AceofBase's thread. That must be what the Greek student did. Not exactly rocket science.

A couple of other links;

Summary of US and Italian government (and Giuliana Sgrena's) views on the incident up to now:

news.bbc.co.uk...

The views of the Italian press to the US report on the incident:

news.bbc.co.uk...

I'm still waiting for the offical report from the Italian Government, it was supposed to be issued an hour and a half ago. Suppose it might be a wait for translation.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   

According to this information, it appears that the Italian government did not make all the necessary contacts. That is also according to the Italian general there in Iraq:

Well, that's what's being reported as something the report will contradict. Berlusconi himself said they did in that summary link i posted.

Suppose we just have to wait for the report.

[edit on 2-5-2005 by kegs]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I love that the entire censoring blocks could be removed by a student...

gotta love the incompetance of our military security... it makes our job of uncovering coverups so much easier.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
A little too easy if you ask me.

This smells like a set-up. Leaked information isn't always accidental, yaknow.

I'm very skeptical as to the level of incompetence to expect from those involved in censoring material put out by the US Gov.. I would tend to see them as more crafty than incompetent.

Remains to be seen though.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
The death of the Italian agent who secured the release of the female hostage was a terrible misfortune of 'fog of war're.
There are a few things I believe in this event.
1) American Soldiers/Marines did not, as has been suggested ,target this vehicle aware of it's passengers.
2) The Italians did not communicate well enough their activities to the Americans. I do not blame them, it may have been impossible to do so.
3) The Iraqi environment of suicide-bombers, car-bombers and donkey-cart bombers directed at anything in western military garb... makes the decision to fire a split-second option. Errors will result. That's all that happened here.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   

This is so old (the ability) that I have suspicions that someone wanted someone 'exposed.'

It does sound like someone intentionally leaked this.

Never underestimate the power of luser stupidity when it comes to computers.

It appears that the redacted version was prepared by simply using the highlight tool in adobe to cover up the text with black highlighting. This is fine for a printed hardcopy, but the text is still there in the electronic version. All you have to do is save it as a text file.

Doh!

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Of interest to some?
Italy: Agent's Shooting Not Deliberate

seekerof

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I don't believe that the US did anything wrong.............what I find very distressing is that it was poor communication between the US and the Italian authorities during the operation and rescue.

Now as for the "censored US reports" I believe that the government will never put out there something that it doesn't want you to see.

The report was either make to look like it was censored or the person that did the recovery of the censor parts was allowed to do that or he maybe just making the whole thing.

I think something is fishy with the story.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Now as for the "censored US reports" I believe that the government will never put out there something that it doesn't want you to see.

Believe me, the average person can be a complete idiot when it comes to computers. Government employees are not exempt from being clueless $lusers.

[edit on 2-5-2005 by HowardRoark]

top topics

join