It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The functionality of boldening and italics is clunky and no post char limit warning?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 12:19 PM
link   
The fact I have to input text to bolden text, same with italics is a bit odd? Every other forum, is highlight the text and press the "B" button etc. My thoughts of what to bolden, for myself don't arise, until I see it needing boldening on second thought after I wrote it. Regardless, highlighting text, pressing "B" to bolden is easier?

I also reached a character limit in a thread. I don't recall seeing a warning saying this, just that, I couldn't write any more characters, is there one present in the editor? Maybe I missed it.

Same with quoting posts, I can't highlight a part of the post, and press the quote button to quote just that text. Maybe the quote button should default quote all the post, unless text is highlighted in that post.

edit on 25-4-2024 by JonnyC555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: JonnyC555

rots uh ruk 😃

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 12:49 PM
link   

At this point we're all just using duct tape to fix everything around here.

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Sorry.

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: CarlLaFong

You were able to find a roll of duct tape?

I've just been using old socks and jock straps

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96
a reply to: CarlLaFong

You were able to find a roll of duct tape?

I've just been using old socks and jock straps

Had to buy a roll...whacking my computer with a wrench to fix ATS stopped working after a while.

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 01:22 PM
link   

You are lucky the site is still on at all.

It is hanging by a thread, barely able to exist.

According to rumor on ATS it may be 404'd at any minute.

edit on 4/25/2024 by TheSingleBillie because: spelling

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Unfortunately, it is what it is and there are no fixes in sight. It's a small miracle the site still functions without any apparent intervention/maintenance.

I believe many members apply manually the relevant tags before and after the text to be emphasized, italicized, etc.

There are two methods:

1) Manually add the tags before and after the text; example: [ b ] your text [ /b ] (remove spaces)
2) Click the B or whatever other text tool, in the toolbar, don't enter anything and submit. You will get the word text within the appropriate tags... just edit it to whatever you want to write.

The same applies for all the other formatting tools.

As for the character limit, you need to check this manually. The total character count (including spaces) that will fit in a single post is around 7,500.

Tip: I used M$ Word for writing which gives you the stats as you type. Otherwise, there are loads of online resources... try this one: www.charactercountonline.com...

edit on 25/4/2024 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 02:03 PM
link   

If you couldn't tell already. This website is a sinking ship being held together place by chewed bubble gum and dollar store scotch tape. And the moderators are bailing water as fast as they can but it's a losing battle while the band plays. A few months ago the ship almost sank because everyone got locked out by a hacker. The mods weren't able to bail anymore. We were taking on water. But luckily enough someone was able to hack back in and hand the moderators their buckets to keep bailing.

You are not going to get the bells and whistles a modern website would have. So yeah. It is what it is.

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheSingleBillie

You are lucky the site is still on at all.

It is hanging by a thread, barely able to exist.

According to rumor on ATS it may be 404'd at any minute.

Shame, this website has juicy conspiratol food for thought.

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Encia22

Unfortunately, it is what it is and there are no fixes in sight. It's a small miracle the site still functions without any apparent intervention/maintenance.

I believe many members apply manually the relevant tags before and after the text to be emphasized, italicized, etc.

There are two methods:

1) Manually add the tags before and after the text; example: [ b ] your text [ /b ] (remove spaces)
2) Click the B or whatever other text tool, in the toolbar, don't enter anything and submit. You will get the word text within the appropriate tags... just edit it to whatever you want to write.

The same applies for all the other formatting tools.

As for the character limit, you need to check this manually. The total character count (including spaces) that will fit in a single post is around 7,500.

Tip: I used M$ Word for writing which gives you the stats as you type. Otherwise, there are loads of online resources... try this one: www.charactercountonline.com...

Thank you. Useful tips there.

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

If you couldn't tell already. This website is a sinking ship being held together place by chewed bubble gum and dollar store scotch tape. And the moderators are bailing water as fast as they can but it's a losing battle while the band plays. A few months ago the ship almost sank because everyone got locked out by a hacker. The mods weren't able to bail anymore. We were taking on water. But luckily enough someone was able to hack back in and hand the moderators their buckets to keep bailing.

You are not going to get the bells and whistles a modern website would have. So yeah. It is what it is.

Ah ok, how odd. A shame, this website I feel is the richest source of conspiracy information.

That might explain why I couldn't get in my old account, 4 weeks ago and had to make a new one, I was convinced my password was not changed.

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Join the discord and ask about getting your old account back.
message djarums with your username and email for him to get your old account back.

posted on Apr, 26 2024 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Ok thank you, I'll try and find the time to do that.

Regarding bells and whistles, I've seen old forums that have this basic functionality that I mention, it's been common for years, well within the time frame ATS was stable and popular.

edit on 26-4-2024 by JonnyC555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2024 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: JonnyC555
a reply to: grey580

Ok thank you, I'll try and find the time to do that.

You can simply DM djarums or DTOM here on ATS. The Discord connection was in the early days after the SHTF.

join