It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teenager makes chess history becoming the youngest challenger for the world championship crown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2024 @ 06:54 PM
link   
www.france24.com...

A 17-year-old from India will become the youngest player to challenge for the World Chess Championship crown after winning a major tournament in Canada.

Gukesh Dommaraju will face reigning champion Ding Liren from China for another piece of history, after being the youngest player to win the prestigious Candidates Tournament.

"I'm just so relieved, so happy following this crazy game," Gukesh said following his landmark triumph in Toronto on Sunday.

Congratulations to Gukesh for winning the men's candidate chess tournament on Sunday and becoming the youngest player to win the tournament. He will now compete for the world championship against the best players in the world (he is one of them). The boy is just amazing and became a grandmaster when he was only 12 years old! He is now the youngest player in the history of the game who will compete for the world championship crown.

edit on 22-4-2024 by Consvoli because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2024 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Consvoli

Maybe there's some hope for humanity after all. We need more young people like this for the future.

posted on Apr, 22 2024 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I remember having fun playing chess back in the day, in High School. We were actually quite good at it. But then I came to realize that it wasn't that fun of a game. I would sit at home at night memorizing books on openings. And that is what it all boiled down to most of the time.

Bobby Fischer, the greatest chess player in the world came to the same realization. I didn't know this until years later. But here is what he had to say about it:

posted on Apr, 23 2024 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: randomuser2034

Aleister Crowley was a child prodigy who claimed to have beaten Morphy in a simul.
Prearrangement in Morphy's day has been replaced with computer cheating these days.
And of course there is the chess variant played on a 7 by 7 board with no kings.

posted on Apr, 23 2024 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: stelth2
a reply to: Consvoli

Maybe there's some hope for humanity after all. We need more young people like this for the future.

It's a great game and I have been playing since I was 4 years old. My grandfather taught me how to play and I am really good but never took part in tournaments. I ven playing and reading books my entire life but in the last few years I lost a bit of motivation as I am doing other things equally important.

top topics

join