It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Go Woke, Go Broke--Forbes Confirms Disney Has Lost Money On Star Wars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I know what you're thinking. Wait, we already knew this didn't we?

Well, some of us did. But a lot of Disney's defenders both in the fandom and in the entertainment media were in complete denial about it, and Disney themselves lied about it for years.

Turns out they were hiding the loss with a pretty obvious accounting trick that was buried in mountains of paperwork and recently found in an analysis of Disney's financial statements.

Here's a good video breaking down the details:

It's not hard to understand. It's very simple math. It's pretty much undeniable now.

The Forbes article can be found here.

Yet another item to go on the list of things progressives denied for years only to later be confirmed. They're like that spouse that you figure out is cheating by piecing together bits of evidence, but instead of feeling guilty they get mad at YOU because they think there should be no way you could know so they try to gaslight you about it.

Disney's Kathleen Kennedy and her hare-brained supporters like to blame it on the fandom being racist and sexist. As I've pointed out before, this rings especially hollow given the fact that many critics of the Disney Star Wars trilogy--with its female lead and diverse supporting cast--loved the stand-alone film Rogue One, which also had a female lead and arguably more diverse cast than the trilogy did. I am among those people. The new trilogy sucks. Rogue One is a masterpiece. Neither opinion has anything to do with the gender or race of the cast.

There's been discussions here before where it was deny, deny, deny that Disney screwed the pooch on Star Wars. The numbers don't lie.

edit on 17-4-2024 by YourFaceAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: YourFaceAgain

So you’re saying that buying an established franchise with an enthusiastic fan base then pissing off that fan base doesn’t make you money? I would have never thought that would happen..

Not like it happened with any other property…

Star Trek
Indiana Jones
James Bond
Dr who

Oh,,,,
Wait,,,,
Never mind

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Since Disney bought LucasArts in October 2012 for $4.05b, they have made $12b on Star Wars movies in the last 12 years.

By my count that is a 200% profit. They paid back the investment and then made 200% more on top of it.

Link

I'm really looking forward to the next series, The Acolyte.

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

So you’re saying that buying an established franchise with an enthusiastic fan base then pissing off that fan base doesn’t make you money? I would have never thought that would happen..

Not like it happened with any other property…

Star Trek
Indiana Jones
James Bond
Dr who

Oh,,,,
Wait,,,,
Never mind

When they acquired Star Wars, they actually acquired Indiana Jones in the same deal. They've lost money on that too.

The only part of the deal that might be profitable is they bought ILM, Industrial Light and Magic, which was George Lucas's visual effects studio. ILM was the industry standard for decades. Many of the Star Trek films used effects from ILM--from "the enemy"
--because their effects were so good.

I imagine they still make money from that, unless they replaced all the good effects people with DEI hires.

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I liked the first three Star Wars that came out when I was a kid.
The original three. Luke, Leia, Hans.
The rest of Star Wars movies ... blah!

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 05:01 PM
link   
If they want to salvage anything from their starwars work-disney should forget the writing which ain't their strong point and start mass producng these droids-

They have them at disneyland but dont know if they plan to sell them.
I bet they would fly off the shelves.

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: onestonemonkey

I think those are the droids of which we seek.

Not terribly useful but looks quite entertaining.

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeyondKnowledge3
a reply to: onestonemonkey

I think those are the droids of which we seek.

Not terribly useful but looks quite entertaining.

Just wait til they install woke AI in the droids.

Help us baby Jesus.

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 05:46 PM
link   
You are correct.

It seems facts have no place here.

Just more BS and propaganda ATS is getting known for.

a reply to: Mahogani

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Disgusted123
You are correct.

It seems facts have no place here.

Just more BS and propaganda ATS is getting known for.

a reply to: Mahogani

originally posted by: Mahogani
Since Disney bought LucasArts in October 2012 for $4.05b, they have made $12b on Star Wars movies in the last 12 years.

By my count that is a 200% profit. They paid back the investment and then made 200% more on top of it.

Link

That claim is specifically addressed in the article I linked to.

The $12B claim is bull#.

Their actual profits from the movies were found by Forbes in Disney's financial documents, and they're nowhere close to that number.

Maybe you two geniuses should have read the article before you embarrassed yourself.

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 06:47 PM
link   

This has absolutely nothing to do with your obsession with woke ideology. Like none at all man....jeez I bet you jumped up when you read just a headline and screamed in joy. Then read the article and realized it is not at all what you originally thought and hoped.
But that wasn't going to stop you, oh no sir you just had to make some fantasy situation to fit your narrative.
edit on 17-4-2024 by budzprime69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Here’s a link to a pretty good breakdown.

www.jeditemplearchives.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: budzprime69

This has absolutely nothing to do with your obsession with woke ideology. Like none at all man....jeez I bet you jumped up when you read just a headline and screamed in joy. Then read the article and realized it is not at all what you originally thought and hoped.
But that wasn't going to stop you, oh no sir you just had to make some fantasy situation to fit your narrative.

Quoted for a Godlike level of projection.

A typical American doesn't have an "Obsession" with Woke ideology.

We just don't want it jammed down our throats.

Unlike your obsession with Trump, for instance.

Box office profits generated by Disney's Star Wars movies have fallen $2.8 billion short of covering the media giant's purchase of the sci-fi saga’s creator, Lucasfilm, according to analysis of recently-filed financial statements.

That is a quote from the link... then they go on to explain it.

Would you like me to take the time and energy to interpret it for you?

Like... make the words smaller, the maths understandable and I can type it really slow?

Thanks for the laugh tonight.

The Three Woke in this thread never fail to entertain.

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogani

Link

Learn to count.

Or at least read the article before posting about it.

Otherwise you just look silly...

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Please point out where I said anything about the math being incorrect? I read the entire Forbes article plus it was all over the news this morning.
And guess what, being "Woke" has nothing to do with it.
edit on 17-4-2024 by budzprime69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 11:20 PM
link   
There is a lot more to star wars than just the box office of the Disney movies. There is also DVDs, blue ray, syndication rights, Disney+, cartoons, action figures, comic books, regular books, video games, T-shirts, Halloween costumes, bed sheets towels, key chains, erasers, ... Do I need to go on?

If Disney hasn't made their money back then it's because something is up and there should be a criminal investigation. Seriously, you have to try to not make money to not make money off Star Wars. You don't even have to make stuff people want to watch and it will still sell.

posted on Apr, 18 2024 @ 01:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: YourFaceAgain
Well, some of us did. But a lot of Disney's defenders both in the fandom and in the entertainment media were in complete denial about it, and Disney themselves lied about it for years.

Turns out they were hiding the loss with a pretty obvious accounting trick that was buried in mountains of paperwork and recently found in an analysis of Disney's financial statements.

Wait. Isn't this exactly what Trump is being charged for?

Hiding losses and exaggerating gains?

posted on Apr, 18 2024 @ 07:11 AM
link   

edit on 4/18/2024 by yeahright because: Mod edit for Spam

posted on Apr, 18 2024 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: GotterDameron23

originally posted by: YourFaceAgain

Wait. Isn't this exactly what Trump is being charged for?

Hiding losses and exaggerating gains?

I was wondering about this.

If the Forbes story is accurate (and you can check their numbers yourself) then it looks like Disney filed false documents with the SEC.

Nothing will be done though.

Remember Pfizer filed false documents with the FDA.

As long as you're on the right (left) side, you won't get prosecuted for things like that.

posted on Apr, 18 2024 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Here’s a link to a pretty good breakdown.

www.jeditemplearchives.com...

Not to mention the dollars they're making in recent years are worth less than the dollars they paid for the franchise, so adjusted for inflation it looks even worse for them.

It's crazy people will deny hard numbers.

top topics

join