It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On this Day in History, April 15, 1865, Abraham Lincoln Passed Away.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 11:24 AM
link   
My favorite president. He was poor. Mostly a self taught education. Endured his mothers death, the death of a woman he loved (Ann Rutledge), the deaths of close friends, the deaths of three of his four children. Struggled with deep depression during a time that no one understood it. Had health issues that likely would have killed him earlier rather than later. Had a wife with severe mental illness but kept by her side. (maybe had relationships with men -Joshua Speed and David Derickson) Made massively difficult decisions that sent people off to die .. and that liberated many others. Ran a war even though he knew nothing about doing so. Kept the country together. Assassinated on this date in 1865.

I've been to the Lincoln Memorial in DC many times. Been to Fords Theatre and the Peterson House across the street where Lincoln died. I've been to Gettysburg and stood in the spot where Lincoln gave the Gettysburg Address, as well as I have been to the Wills Hotel in Gettysburg where Lincoln wrote the Gettysburg Address. I have stood where he stood at Independence Hall in Philadelphia as well. I just haven't been to the Lincoln Presidential Library nor his grave in Illinois. I wish I could go. Probably won't ever get to.

Abraham Lincoln is said to haunt the White House. His ghost has been seen many times. And the Lincoln Funeral Train, which traveled through the countryside for many days, is said to still take the route in ghostly form. Many people have claimed to see it on the tracks in Pennsylvania and in New York State, etc etc.

Some Libertarians are not fond of Lincoln because he pretty much suspended Constitutional rights during the civil war at times. But no one remembers that.

Lincoln Joke -

I had a dream that Hillary won the presidency. On her first night in the White House the ghost of Washington appeared to her. Hillary asked, “Mr. Washington, how can I do what is best for the country?” Washington answered “always tell the truth”. Hillary shook her head and said “”oh no, that’s too hard”. Later the ghost of Jefferson appeared and Hillary asked again “Mr. Jefferson, how can I do what is best for the country?” Jefferson replied “Always act with honor and integrity”. Hillary gasped and said “there’s no way I can do that”. Finally the ghost of Lincoln appeared. Hillary asked once more, “Mr. Lincoln, how can I do what is best for the country?” Lincoln said “go to the theater”

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 12:38 PM
link   
A truly great human being.
I saw the old sci-fi movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still" the other night. The scene with Klaatu, the alien visiting the Lincoln memorial was great. He read Lincoln's speech and said: "Those are great words."

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Very nice post! He should be remembered because he did so much for this country. He even gave his life for it. I think Abraham Lincoln is my favorite president as well. Seeing as Illinois kind of adopted him as their native son, and I come from Illinois, too, he holds a special place in these parts. Buildings, highways and all kinds of memorials abound around here, all in tribute to him. Just to picture a few I've visited and photographed:

The courthouse in Mt. Vernon, Illinois where he worked as a lawyer. They even have a statue of him out front:

His home in Springfield, Illinois:

In 1840, while campaigning for the Republican Presidential candidate for the election that year, he gave a speech near the Ratcliff Inn, and then stayed the night here, too. This is located in Carmi, Illinois, which just happens to be the town I was born in:

Also while on that same campaign trail of 1840, a dance was held in his honor at the "Old Slave House," (the Crenshaw House), located in Gallatin County, Illinois. My Great Great Great Great Grandmother danced with Abe that night on the second-floor ballroom. I took this picture of the place in 1984:

Once he was elected President of the United States, here's the house he stayed at in Washington, D.C. It was white:

The fields of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, where he gave his Gettysburg Address:

Here's the stage of Ford's Theater where he was assassinated:

His statue in the Lincoln Memorial:

Located in Springfield, Illinois, here is the temporary tomb they placed Lincoln's body in until his proper tomb was completed:

And here is his final resting place, also located in Springfield, Illinois:

Closeup detail of the statues on Lincoln's tomb.

And finally, a shot of the front of the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum, also located in Springfield, Illinois. It's a great place to see:

Who could forget the immortal words uttered by the Secretary of War Edwin Stanton when Abraham Lincoln passed away in a home across the street from Ford's Theater?

"Now he belongs to the ages."

Yes, Abraham Lincoln was truly a great leader.

join