It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shogun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2024 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Anybody else watching Shogun? I really like it.

Shogun

IMPORTANT: New (old) Standards Are Being Enforced (again) For New Threads
edit on Sat Mar 30 2024 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2024 @ 05:10 PM
link   
We love it!

I knew we would, the version years ago was fantastic.

So I knew the remake had to be as good or better.

I think it is better!

Also, it doesn't rely on watching people have sex for 5 minutes instead of dialog. Adults know from the implications that sex has occurred. It also doesn't rely on the "F" word in every other sentence instead of good writing. It doesn't have any of the signs of lazy writing. The writers are just doing a brilliant adaptation of the book. I wish more writers would rely on excellent dialog in place of long sex scenes and the "f" word in every line of dialog

edit on 3/30/2024 by TheSingleBillie because: grammar

posted on Mar, 30 2024 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Blueracer

Favorite new show!

posted on Mar, 30 2024 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Blueracer

Loving it myself. I know the story well so a hood screen adaptation is always welcome and entertaining. Just wish I had found it after all the episodes were out...this waiting week to week sucks!

posted on Mar, 31 2024 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I watched it long time ago when I was little, I even read the book.

posted on Mar, 31 2024 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cloudbuster1
I watched it long time ago when I was little, I even read the book.

I am talking about the current tv show ongoing right this moment.

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheSingleBillie
The writers are just doing a brilliant adaptation of the book.

Did the book also have Lady Ochiba coming into her power and take charge in Osaka as a true girlboss for "modern audiences" dominating all the men and wrapping them around her little finger like accessories to her (not so well) 'hidden' powerplay and influence?

Because it's such a short miniseries rather than a full-fledged TV show, I think I would have preferred a bit more airtime on some battles (with the tactical preparation, dialogue concerning the military strategic planning and the training of the cannon/gun regiment and tactical discussions about it) here and there, rather than so much dialogue about other subjects and the historical melodramatic background that has led them to want to kill themselves or be unhappy in their oppressive marriages or position. It drags it a bit more out than necessary and makes me wait longer for something truly interesting to happen that is related to the title Shogun (the title of the military rulers of Japan; the main subject therefore being military orientated in that title, and not relational/romantic drama, as in a soap or most, if not all, sitcoms).

I understand the book probably wasn't about that either, but it's an adaptation after all, they usually have no problem adding things that aren't in the book (especially when it's cheap to make dialogue and melodrama).
edit on 15-4-2024 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

AI answer:

In the original Shogun novel, the character of Toranaga (based on Tokugawa Ieyasu) was actually more afraid of Lady Ochiba than any of his other rivals. The novel describes her as a "wildcat" and "treacherous tigress" that Toranaga did not want to face directly.
The real-life historical figure Yodo-no-kata, upon whom Lady Ochiba is based, was not portrayed as a villain in the same way. Rather, she was a tragic figure who sought to protect her son Hideyori, the last heir of the Toyotomi clan, from being eliminated by Tokugawa Ieyasu.

So in summary, while Lady Ochiba is a more prominent and antagonistic character in the Shogun TV adaptation, the novel did not depict her taking overt power in the same way. Her influence and danger to Toranaga's plans was more implied in the original source material.

new topics

top topics

join