It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dune 2 ~ Anybody seen it already?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2024 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I purchased tickets to see Dune Part 2 on Wednesday. I'm a huge fan of the first book, but have yet to read further into the series. I have to admit the 1984 "Dune" film by David Lynch is one of my guilty pleasures. I know it's bad, but I love it anyways. I guess the same can be said about the two mini-series (made by I think it was the sci-fi channel?) "Dune" and "Children of Dune". They're bad, but at least there's something there! In any case, I really enjoyed Villeneuve's first part ( surprise surprise
), so I'm pretty excited to see the second part this week. Just wondering what the general ATS sentiment is on this film.

I don't know about you folk, but I'm one of those, [loves movies, but hates Hollywood] types. My only problem with the new films, is the casting. I have a strong disliking of the two main characters. I guess it would be fair to say I don't think very highly of actors in general, but I find it to be amplified in this case. Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy, I don't know. One thing I'm kind of interested to see is Christopher Walken as the Emperor Shaddam IV. I just hope I can enjoy the film for what it is, and not be distracted by some of the other casting choices.

So yeah, for those of you who have seen the film (and read the book?), what did you think?

posted on Mar, 12 2024 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: deckard74

Haven't seen it yet but will if I find the time. Reading the other Dune books is absolutely worth it for the world building and sheer scope of Herbert's vision. Unfortunately I find his prose not as engaging as his ideas. Revisiting Lynch's movie adaption is a strange experience for me as my brain seems to distill the best moments of it into an emotional memory of a far superior work. It's hard to explain. Almost as if I tap into the ideal version of what Lynch had hoped to create under ideal circumstances. I am invariably disappointed when I rewatch it. Maybe I see the version of this universe but remember the emotional impact of the version from a parallel universe. It's bizarre frankly and not something I experience with other movies.

Villeneuve's Dune part 1 is visually stunning and overall a great movie and yet leaves me yearning for the emotional impact Lynch's (imaginary?) version had on me. Walken, who I usually love seeing on screen seems to be a bit disappointing in part 2 from what I've been reading in some reviews.

posted on Mar, 12 2024 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I barely made it through the first one. I thought it was a snooze fest and I could not follow a lot of the storyline and characters. Maybe because I'm not really a Dune fan and have not read the book? It does sound like Dune 2 is quite the visual spectacle. I'll just wait until it hits streaming.

posted on Mar, 12 2024 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I have read them all. It is in interesting tale.

The big picture for me was the Dune Messiah setup a universal change of society. The kind that grinds the petty humans who would murder for power, to their demise. I enjoyed Arrakis once I dove in to the books.

posted on Mar, 12 2024 @ 12:19 PM
link   

No. I watched the part one at the cinema and decided I wasn't going to watch the part two. It wasn't bad but the storyline was hard to follow. Not very interesting. I don't even remember what it was about.

posted on Mar, 12 2024 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I think one pretty much has to read the book to understand the movie.

I plan to watch it when it comes to TV. I don't do theaters much. (I did watch the Godzilla movie, which was awesome.)

posted on Mar, 12 2024 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Coelacanth55

I plan to watch it when it comes to TV. I don't do theaters much. (I did watch the Godzilla movie, which was awesome.)

Yeah I agree, Hell the original movie got me to start reading the book back in the 80s, somehow I hadn't read it yet. But I really enjoyed the reboot and this one looks fantastic too. But I'll watch anything with Rebecca Ferguson in it... It's such a epic story, it's not the easiest thing to translate on the big screen, I was skeptical of Chamalet and Zendaya but they fit seamlessly into the story like all great actors and actresses do, where you forget their celebrity personas and can enjoy the character. Throw in Brolin and Javier Bardem as long as they all keep hidden in the flow of the story it will keep me engaged.

This is high praise coming from me where I think 95% of the new movies are uninteresting social commentary and had become tired of seeing compelling stories and plot lines ruined by the world's new sensitivities.

posted on Mar, 12 2024 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I read all the books back in my late teens/early 20's - or at least the one's that were released then.
I thoroughly enjoyed them.....shame I can't remember too much of it now apart from the basic storyline and some of main characters.

I used to really enjoy going to the cinema but I haven't been for a few years now.
I need to pee too much nowadays and unfortunately you can't pause the movie in the cinema.

I watched the first Dune film, I enjoyed it. I'd like to watch it again before watching the second one.

posted on Mar, 12 2024 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

.....I think 95% of the new movies are uninteresting social commentary and had become tired of seeing compelling stories and plot lines ruined by the world's new sensitivities.

Me too Brother, me too.

posted on Mar, 12 2024 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

I read all the books back in my late teens/early 20's - or at least the one's that were released then.
I thoroughly enjoyed them.....shame I can't remember too much of it now apart from the basic storyline and some of main characters.

I used to really enjoy going to the cinema but I haven't been for a few years now.
I need to pee too much nowadays and unfortunately you can't pause the movie in the cinema.

I watched the first Dune film, I enjoyed it. I'd like to watch it again before watching the second one.

I'll wait till it's on where I can watch them back-to-back...

I can't remember the last movie I saw in a theater... Nothing seems worthy of a trip, plus our cinema here has really gone downhill. Once they stopped making fresh popcorn and brought in the bagged chit was the last straw.

Sucks getting old, I used to be able to drive all day and not have to pee.

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 04:53 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Well, it's finally Wednesday, and as I said, I have tickets for the 7 o'clock showing. I'm surprised no one who has seen it, has replied in this thread! Maybe no one has seen it yet? In any case, thanks for the replies, those who did! It's nice to know there are others who have delved into Herbert's universe.
I do believe I will have to make a real effort to read the other books now. The problem is I "lent" my copy of the first book to a friend who has since moved away, taking my book with her! I don't want to start the series until I've re-read the first book, so I guess I'll have to stop dragging my feet on that. I own the other 5 books, written by Herbert himself, and most of the subsequent ones written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, so I think it's time.

Perhaps I will post my thoughts about the new film after viewing it! Maybe it will entice you some of you to see it on the big screen, assuming the theater you go to provides fresh popcorn at the very least!

For now, i'm off to re-watch Dune Part 1 before I head out to the theater! Like I really need to watch it again

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Coelacanth55

I pretty much agree with this sentiment. There's so much in the book that would have to be left out of a 2 hour+ movie, it might be hard for someone unfamiliar with the subject to really follow what's going on.

But come on, you went to Godzilla, but you're going to skip Dune Part 2?

new topics

top topics

join