It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major fire at French plant housing lithium batteries.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 09:40 PM
link   
You worked at a good shop it seems.
I did a few boiler service calls at a south Dallas chrome shop way back when and didn't even see basic respirator in use near the vats.
a reply to: dothedew

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman
Communism and Fascism are from the same tree Karl Marx created. It is the fascist lefties of America pushing this idea in the USA. My job as an Environmental Scientist I can say we hate the fire hazard situation with these and it is the Greta Thumburgs not the normal folks pushing lies down our throats on CO2. Even when we could just move to Hydrogen cars like I have been saying since I started here about 15 years ago in the threads I made. All the rage in the 50s among the Science world was the Hydrogen power that was obviously coming.

originally posted by: StudioNada

just another reason that 'Marxism' is gaining popularity over Fascist Capitalism....

Honda and BMW just partnered up to produce hydrogen-powered automobiles.

Between the two of them they will actually be able to get it done, despite resistance from the Lithium Battery Industrial Complex.

It was a viable alternative, as you have pointed out, for the last 70 years.

About time it comes to fruition.

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
a reply to: StudioNada

Right,

Because China, the USSR, and Venezuela were shining examples of Marxism protecting the environment...

posted on Feb, 22 2024 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

So, hot news?

posted on Feb, 22 2024 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Nickel-cadmium (Ni-Cd) batteries contain between 6% an 18% Cadmium by mass.

And in Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH), that percentage of Cadmium is closer to 2.8%

However, Lithium-ion batteries, not so.

But Lithium-ion batteries do contain trace amounts of Cobalt and Lead, so they aren't fully environmentally benign.

Leaded petrol also contains trace amounts of lead, and as it is burnt all the time and in large volumes, it pollutes quite significantly.

Here we are, second page in and not one post has noticed that Li-Ion batteries don't contain Cadmium.

LOL.

Potential Environmental and Human Health Impacts of Rechargeable Lithium Batteries in Electronic Waste

edit on 2024-02-22T01:33:45-06:0001Thu, 22 Feb 2024 01:33:45 -060002am00000029 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2024 @ 04:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheValeyard
Never water your lithium after midnight.

Looks especially near salt water. The salt used on the roads with enough water has caused explosions. The shipping laws are altered for those batteries since they catch a whole ship on fire.

posted on Feb, 22 2024 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: Justoneman
Communism and Fascism are from the same tree Karl Marx created. It is the fascist lefties of America pushing this idea in the USA. My job as an Environmental Scientist I can say we hate the fire hazard situation with these and it is the Greta Thumburgs not the normal folks pushing lies down our throats on CO2. Even when we could just move to Hydrogen cars like I have been saying since I started here about 15 years ago in the threads I made. All the rage in the 50s among the Science world was the Hydrogen power that was obviously coming.

originally posted by: StudioNada

just another reason that 'Marxism' is gaining popularity over Fascist Capitalism....

Honda and BMW just partnered up to produce hydrogen-powered automobiles.

Between the two of them they will actually be able to get it done, despite resistance from the Lithium Battery Industrial Complex.

It was a viable alternative, as you have pointed out, for the last 70 years.

About time it comes to fruition.

The crazy part for me is I went to MTSU that invented a car that runs on H2 and no one cared to build them for us. The professor moved to Solar charged motors which uses those batteries. I do think we have a pattern of suppression.

posted on Feb, 22 2024 @ 05:04 AM
link   
One poison or another is really not relevant. Who died and made you a god on this matter? I am in the field of study that actually has the data and I don't act like you do when you are pretended to be something you are not. Cadmium is not as bad at thermal reactions that burn down buildings. We can sequester Cd easier. I too love the new batteries. We will figure out how to use them eventually. Meanwhile the greenies stink on Hydrogen big time.

originally posted by: chr0naut

Nickel-cadmium (Ni-Cd) batteries contain between 6% an 18% Cadmium by mass.

And in Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH), that percentage of Cadmium is closer to 2.8%

However, Lithium-ion batteries, not so.

But Lithium-ion batteries do contain trace amounts of Cobalt and Lead, so they aren't fully environmentally benign.

Leaded petrol also contains trace amounts of lead, and as it is burnt all the time and in large volumes, it pollutes quite significantly.

Here we are, second page in and not one post has noticed that Li-Ion batteries don't contain Cadmium.

LOL.

Potential Environmental and Human Health Impacts of Rechargeable Lithium Batteries in Electronic Waste

posted on Feb, 22 2024 @ 06:31 AM
link   

edit on 2/22/2024 by yeahright because: Mod edit for Spam

posted on Feb, 22 2024 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

So, hot news?

Not that electrifying any more though.

posted on Feb, 22 2024 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: peter_kandra

And that just exemplifies the point that the recycling industry is no where geared up to handle what is coming, now that there are a good number of EV's on the road. We can not even manage what we have stockpiled and we do not have an effective technology that can keep up with that even.

This is going to be an environmental nightmare soon, as all of these batteries will need to be broken down to manageable chemical resources that can be recycled or effectively destroyed without massive pollution.

The stupid Biden administration can only insist on an "all EV" solution, while we breath in Lithium and Cadmium for decades.

The planning in this world is at the level of what you would expect from Elementary schools, and we will probably lose those soon as well.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join