It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dogs have descended from two populations of ancient wolves study reveals

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Christ, you're telling me my parent's corn chip-smelling, underbiting rat of a Shih Tzu really used to be a wolf?

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Schmoe3755
Christ, you're telling me my parent's corn chip-smelling, underbiting rat of a Shih Tzu really used to be a wolf?

I think a more precise description you can use is that your parent's lovely dog is part of the family of wolves.

posted on Feb, 17 2024 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Whenever I read things like this, and then I see someone’s Pug on a YouTube video or in real life, I have a hard time believing that their ancestors would look at a pug and not think to themselves… “What the actual F, happened to my blood line?”

Same for Chihuahuas, poodles, pomeranians, teacup poodles, and Peekapoos.

While I understand that man had a hand in creating those aberrations, I take a great deal of amusement when a Pug says “I am descended from wolves.”

Much in the same way that a chicken is descended from a Dinosaur. a reply to: Venkuish1

posted on Feb, 17 2024 @ 01:11 PM
link   
No, the other guy had it right the first time. While I am sure that the dog is also lovely, those dogs are rotten. I mean just rotten, spoiled, and at times adorable.

And they often smell like corn chips.

Oddly enough, I have two shepherds, one of which is part Coyote. Both even with their primal prey drive, will ignore someone knocking at the door, but if I so much as open the fridge, they are on me like a burglar in the night.

We have destroyed the dire wolf, and replaced with dire consequences. Woe is us for our meddling with nature.

All kidding aside though, Having dogs makes me more relatable, and attractive to the ladies at the park that I walk my dogs at. So if you are looking for a way to attract someone of the opposite sex, Get yourself a puppy, raise it right, treat it well, and take it to the park where women jog and walk. I promise you, they’ll notice the dog, and then maybe notice you.

a reply to: Venkuish1

posted on Feb, 17 2024 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Unseendimension
Whenever I read things like this, and then I see someone’s Pug on a YouTube video or in real life, I have a hard time believing that their ancestors would look at a pug and not think to themselves… “What the actual F, happened to my blood line?”

Same for Chihuahuas, poodles, pomeranians, teacup poodles, and Peekapoos.

While I understand that man had a hand in creating those aberrations, I take a great deal of amusement when a Pug says “I am descended from wolves.”

Much in the same way that a chicken is descended from a Dinosaur. a reply to: Venkuish1

Same species after all.

posted on Feb, 17 2024 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Unseendimension
No, the other guy had it right the first time. While I am sure that the dog is also lovely, those dogs are rotten. I mean just rotten, spoiled, and at times adorable.

And they often smell like corn chips.

Oddly enough, I have two shepherds, one of which is part Coyote. Both even with their primal prey drive, will ignore someone knocking at the door, but if I so much as open the fridge, they are on me like a burglar in the night.

We have destroyed the dire wolf, and replaced with dire consequences. Woe is us for our meddling with nature.

All kidding aside though, Having dogs makes me more relatable, and attractive to the ladies at the park that I walk my dogs at. So if you are looking for a way to attract someone of the opposite sex, Get yourself a puppy, raise it right, treat it well, and take it to the park where women jog and walk. I promise you, they’ll notice the dog, and then maybe notice you.

It's best if we call them domesticated wolves.

See the definition of the species and try to apply it to wolves, jackals, coyotes, dogs.

Can they breed with each other? ✓
Can they produce fertile offspring? ✓

A biological species is a group of organisms that can reproduce with one another in nature and produce fertile offspring

www.nature.com...#:~:text=A%20biological%20species%20is%20a,nature%20and%20produce%20fertile%20offspring.

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage

I saw this article yesterday and was tempted to post it. Being a dog owner I found it an interesting read, the study of genomes both ancient and modern does seem to be advancing our understanding of evolution...

You mean being a wolf owner?!

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Schmoe3755

It is one of them part of the family of wolves.

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 07:34 AM
link   
We are getting closer to understanding where Chihuahuas came from and why they are nasty little creatures.

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Venkuish1

In many parts of the world, wolves were once one badass creature. They were above humans in the predator line.

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Venkuish1

In many parts of the world, wolves were once one badass creature. They were above humans in the predator line.

I think you have replied to someone else thinking it was my post but doesn't matter.

It turns out wolves are one of our best friends if not the best!

posted on Feb, 26 2024 @ 12:33 AM
link   
www.nature.com...

Title: Japanese wolves are most closely related to dogs and share DNA with East Eurasian dogs

Abstract

Although the domestic dog’s origin is still unclear, this lineage is believed to have been domesticated from an extinct population of gray wolves, which is expected to be more closely related to dogs than to other populations of gray wolves. Here, we sequence the whole genomes of nine Japanese wolves (7.5–100x: Edo to Meiji periods) and 11 modern Japanese dogs and analyze them together with those from other populations of dogs and wolves. A phylogenomic tree shows that, among the gray wolves, Japanese wolves are closest to the dog, suggesting that the ancestor of dogs is closely related to the ancestor of the Japanese wolf. Based on phylogenetic and geographic relationships, the dog lineage has most likely originated in East Asia, where it diverged from a common ancestor with the Japanese wolf. Since East Eurasian dogs possess Japanese wolf ancestry, we estimate an introgression event from the ancestor of the Japanese wolf to the ancestor of the East Eurasian dog that occurred before the dog’s arrival in the Japanese archipelago.

May I say for once more that we domesticated wolves rather than dogs. I think it's much more accurate to describe it this way.

Wolves and dogs can breed with each other producing fertile offspring. This is enough to satisfy the definition of a biological species.

A biological species is a group of organisms that can reproduce with one another in nature and produce fertile offspring.

www.nature.com...#:~:text=A%20biological%20species%20is%20a,nature%20and%20produce%20fertile%20offspring.

edit on 26-2-2024 by Venkuish1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join