It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whatever happened to Rods from God?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Having been stationed at Holloman, one can see how errors from the comments is atrocious.

How disappointing, not one decent or educated comment from the whole lot of you....I expect better from ATSers and technology threads.

You do not need, pin point accuracy, with excessive transfer.

In 2013, the U.S. Air Force 846th Test Squadron and civilian researchers at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory successfully test-fired a kinetic energy projectile, a tungsten-rich shell moving at 3,500 feet-per-second — more than three times faster than the speed of sound — on a specialized track at Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico. More recently, the Pentagon has tested the Navy electromagnetic rail gun’s hypervelocity projectiles with the help of conventional U.S. Army howitzers; the Navy hopes the completed cannon will be able to launch shells at up to 4,500 mph, six times the speed of sound.

Kinetic Energy Projectile/KEP

So in short, yes this is a valid and ongoing development.

No, it has not been deployed that the public knows about.

edit on 18-2-2024 by ADVISOR because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ADVISOR

Then show me where the rail gun or the Holloman Test Track even comes close to what you’re apparently claiming Rods From God are capable of doing. Show me the detailed, “educated” data that shows them being able to penetrate hundreds of feet of concrete or hit with the force of a nuclear weapon without the mess.

I’ll wait.

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 11:34 AM
link   
LoL, you knew wouldn't be waiting long.
Good to see you Zaph!

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Then show me where the rail gun or the Holloman Test Track even comes close to what you’re apparently claiming Rods From God are capable of doing. Show me the detailed, “educated” data that shows them being able to penetrate hundreds of feet of concrete or hit with the force of a nuclear weapon without the mess.

I’ll wait.

This is the closest we will get, and know it;

___

Preferences

Web

Images

Videos

News

Web Results

The Pentagon’s New Super Weapon Is Basically A Weaponized Meteor Strike ...
taskandpurpose.com...
In reality, weapons researchers refer to it as a “kinetic energy projectile”: a super-dense, super-fast projectile that, operating free of complex systems and volatile chemicals, destroys...

Holloman tests new warhead on high-speed track - Air Force
www.af.mil...
WASHINGTON (AFPS) -- The Defense Department announced yesterday the successful testing of an advanced conventional precision effects warhead, a critical part of a national effort to establish a conventional prompt strike capability. This capability will contribute to the country to defend its interests with precision weapons at hypersonic speeds.

Web Results

USAF conducts high-speed sled testing of kinetic energy projectile ...
www.airforce-technology.com...
The US Air Force's (USAF) 846th Test Squadron has successfully completed high-speed sled testing of an advanced conventional precision effects warhead at the Holloman High Speed Test Track, which is located on Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico, US. October 28, 2013 Share this article

NEWS RELEASE: New warhead tested at Holloman High Speed Track
www.holloman.af.mil...
American Forces Press Service HOLLOMAN AIR FORCE BASE, N.M. -- The Defense Department announced yesterday the successful testing of an advanced conventional precision effects warhead at the Holloman High Speed Test Track on Oct. 23.

US Army Exploring 'Devastating' New Weapon for Use In War with Russia
www.defenseone.com...
Randy Simpson, a weapons programs manager at Lawrence Livermore National Lab, explains that kinetic energy projectiles are warheads that “take advantage of high terminal speeds to deliver much...

The U.S. Military's New Super Weapon: A Weaponized 'Meteor Strike'?
nationalinterest.org...
In reality, weapons researchers refer to it as a “kinetic energy projectile”: a super-dense, super-fast projectile that, operating free of complex systems and volatile chemicals, destroys...

Livermore team successfully leads important test of a conventional ...
www.llnl.gov...
The 846th Test Squadron conducted the successful test at the Holloman High Speed Test Track, located on Holloman Air Force Base, New Mexico. Hurd noted that Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory was responsible for the design and development of the warhead itself, while the event was managed by the U.S Air Force Space and Missile Systems Center.

U.S. Military Considers New Super-Weapon to Counter Russia's Nuclear ...
www.newsweek.com...
The weapon was first tested in 2013 at Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico and remains in the conceptual phase, meaning the U.S. military likely has not yet taken ownership of the project, a U.S ...

Prev Next

Contact Us

About

System1

Privacy Policy

Terms of Use

© 2024 Infospace Holdings LLC, A System1 Company

I'm not active duty any more, and don't have access to official records let alone the authority to disclose classified information. So, enjoy public records.

edit on 18-2-2024 by ADVISOR because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Funny that over twenty years ago the Air Force decided they weren’t as effective as you’re going to claim.

None of those have anything to do with Rods From God. They’re all missile warheads. They aren’t penetrating hundreds of feet through concrete or any other material. They will work as bunker busters or armor piercing rounds.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join