It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.1 earthquake just hit Oklahoma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2024 @ 12:05 AM
link   

5.1 #earthquake East of #Oklahoma. Rated as strong shake intensity just northwest of Prague, OK @nbcbayarea

Twitter meteorology link

5.1 4 miles deep.

Seems weird place for one, any Oklahomans feel it or care to comment?

Growing up in Alaska we had lots of quakes.

Moved to Florida and we. Had them every time the shuttle took off..

posted on Feb, 3 2024 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Cali boy over here.

As long as it's not Yellowstone.

I've driven San Andreas yearly. I just dont want the big pop.

posted on Feb, 3 2024 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: pianopraze

5.1 #earthquake East of #Oklahoma. Rated as strong shake intensity just northwest of Prague, OK @nbcbayarea

Twitter meteorology link

5.1 4 miles deep.

Seems weird place for one, any Oklahomans feel it or care to comment?

Growing up in Alaska we had lots of quakes.

Moved to Florida and we. Had them every time the shuttle took off..

Not weird here at all, it just isn’t talked about a lot. A few years ago OK had more earthquakes than every state in the country combined. Which brought in lots of changes in the fracking industry for OK. They’ve somewhat toned down a bit as of recently. Although, a few days ago we got hit by a pretty good sized one 4.4 and I believe a 4.1 a few days before that. Hit my house in OKC like a freight train hitting the wall. I didn’t feel this recent one but I’ve been asleep the last few hours I’ll have to do some digging.

Okay so it was about a hour ago, about when I woke up, so it probably woke me up but was over before I was fully awake.

posted on Feb, 3 2024 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: pianopraze

California here, as well.

5.1 would be relatively unremarkable for us, but maybe not so much for OK?

What might be more concerning is how shallow this OK quake was.

posted on Feb, 3 2024 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Wastewater injection into the crust "lubicated" the MANY ancient fault systems in OK.

There are a lot. The continent tried to break apart in two branches originating from the ancient continental margin.

[Map of North American failed rifts]

The Reelfoot Rift being the other part of this failed breakup. (See East Africa Rift for a successful rift). This left an aulacogen (weak spot) which is still subject to intraplate earthquakes as the plate drags across the lithosphere.

The OK branch is less failed than the New Madrid branch. So they max out in the 6s. So far, I think 5.8 has been the top.

They didn't think it would awaken these, but they did. And now they have to be careful to not frack it all up too much.

Humorously, the Aulocogen was the reason Oklahoma was chosen. Places with Cambrian era faults. They just wanted to created some oil with those old faults is all. They thought they were locked-up and dead.

V or VI MMI is no joke. That will scare you. And knock things over.

I actually like earthquakes, and I will call the "SoCal Earthquake Scene" a joke. Oklahoma was rocking a 3 or 4 pointer a day. Thats certainly not a naturally occurring thing.

Is the Oil Industry worth the off chance there is a 10 times more powerful 6.1? Up to Oklahoma, I guess.
edit on 3-2-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2024 @ 02:45 AM
link   

If earthquakes actually was a thing I would be worried but since it is as ridiculous as the flat earth stuff I won't.

posted on Feb, 3 2024 @ 05:08 AM
link   

edit on 2/3/2024 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2024 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Nifty. I guess I never knew about the mini fault lines, or atleast never had any reason to see if they were there. We have had s few here in Maine over the years as well. And there is almost no reason for us to have them at all, but it does happen.

posted on Feb, 3 2024 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

That long red line runs through where I live in Kentucky. Thought about mentioning it in my OP.

If we ever get a big one it’s going to be bad. I75 has a very long, very high bridge over the Kentucky river. It would be gone. The geologist that told me about it said there is a lot of tension in that fault and when it slips it’s going to be bad.

I lived in Springfield Missouri for a few years. Never remember there being quakes in the 1990’s there.

posted on Feb, 3 2024 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Gotta clear this up. It's gonna bug me otherwise.

Humorously, the Aulocogen was the reason Oklahoma was chosen. Places with Cambrian era faults. They just wanted to created some oil with those old faults is all. They thought they were locked-up and dead.

Misleading humor. They want to break up the rock (sandstone, shale), which is most often associated with these regions of former continental margin and shallow ocean.

It was intended as a joke for not considering what else was formed at that time.

Misleading nonetheless.

Everything else stands.

Kentucky is reelfoot country. New Madrid-adjacent.

You'll be fine. It's an "every 500 years" repeat occurrence. Like Cascadia the interval of massive events are spaced significantly.

Next expected New Madrid 7.0 - 8.0 sequence = 2250-2350 CE.

The red line is The Greenvile Front.

The above map shows the earliest failed rift at 1.1 billion years old. The Reeflfoot Rift tried to form 450 million years later, and then 100 million years after that, the Southern Oklahoma one failed. Neither pictured.

The earliest one, The Midcontinent Rift is the deepest failed rift on Earth to never become an ocean. E.g. Not become a spreading center like The Mid Alantic Ridge.

But North America has tried to literally split up 3 times in the past. 1100 MYA, 650 MYA, and 525 MYA. Although it was called Laurentia.
edit on 3-2-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2024 @ 04:37 AM
link   

edit on 2/4/2024 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2024 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Never saw higher than a 2.5 when I lived there from 2006-2017 ish.

Just had a 5.4 ish hit about 3 miles from where I worked, that was a little eye opening.

posted on Feb, 4 2024 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Yeah I live south of the area it made the bed shake and the dogs didn’t really appreciate the feeling of the house moving.a reply to: Irishhaf

posted on Feb, 5 2024 @ 02:08 PM
link   
This EQ was prophesied on January 31st!

I've been somewhat skeptical of Troy Black's authentic connection with the Holy Spirit but I am glad to say it must be real.

Here I will post the original video with the prophecy/prediction along with a message.

And here is the confirmation video I'm finishing watching right now.

I post this to help believers strengthen their faith as it did for me.

new topics

top topics

join