It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A different look at freewill

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2024 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Well, my point is that communication (through speech, song and writing) and prescriptive morality are evolved features of Homo Sapiens. But though the former is unique to us, morality most certainly is not. All social animals display it, though their ideas of good and bad behaviour may be very different from ours. Dolphins are exquisitely sociable and demonstrably moral animals for whom rape is perfectly normal and natural. Consensual sex apparently does not exist in their world.

Touchy subjects in their own right...

Humans can find rape justifiable under certain circumstances too, apparently the part of the brain that governs communication also controls aggression and sexual activity. You're right of course and it seems my issue was knowing a little more exists to it all that I couldn't quite elaborate on.

Externalising information (writing) truly does seem to be unique to humans but until we can talk anything else I'd claim it as a theory, just because the whale doesn't have an alphabet it doesn't mean they cannot externalise information. The rest isn't though, other animals definitely sing and talk.

I don't really know how animals navigate, do you? How are they finding a pin point of salt deposits in a vastness of land for instance? We used to call that "genetic memory" but the obvious answer is externalised information that wouldn't change like Chinese whispers or a song down the ages... Just a thought.

The absence of free will is not automatism

It's the inability to consider. I think.

It's a slight difference but a fundamental one. I'd never accuse an ant of being an automaton, I've seen them war
they can most definitely think but that doesn't mean they can "think about thinking" to put it simply, free will is a part of the ultimate questions of life and my ability to answer it is probably no better than an ants in reality. It's a yes or no question unless it's a maybe.

That is, however, what I’m saying, and I wonder why, apart from its unfamiliarity, the idea seems off to you. All higher social species experience conflicts of conscience. Have you heard of Hamilton’s Rule? It’s the tension between selfish and social instincts given mathematical form, and although the idea has its flaws, it is still enormously useful as a conceptual tool.

I genuinely appreciate it

I don't think what you were saying was unfamiliar now that I look back on it all. We might have been making the same point in a way. Reality is subjective to the individual, humans have certain potentials and leanings (instincts) but we also have a mind and language. It's that time between A and B I was looking at and I honestly cannot say free will exists in it. Neither for me or the dog so to speak. I have my doubts anyone can.

There's set patterns regardless of what we do.

posted on Feb, 14 2024 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BatCaveJoe

Oh man, that's a beautiful description.
I almost feel bad for teasing, ... almost ... hehe.

Perhaps Joseph-of-The-Halls-of-Contemplation ?

Find any truth yet ?

Everybody knows a coin has two sides.

Except for the edge, that kinda could be a side.
What if the edge is serrated ?
What about inside ?
Is inside, not a side ?

What I mean by that nonsense, is that I like to look at, ponder, contemplate things like you.
I also like to look for additional sides, alternative views, inside-out and backwards views.

One example is intelligence.
There is a new thread here today about some bright your lady, passing a ridiculous amount of A-grade exams.
That's only one or two kinds of intelligence

I have a bud who couldn't get-out of grade 9, yet his street-smarts are a wonder to observe.
Pro-athletes have their own flavor of genius, as do artists.
Creators of all stripes and flavours.
Channeling creation ?

If we only think of one kind of intelligence, we could miss all of the others.
And perhaps by contemplating other ideas, we open-up to them, somehow,
or somehow clear the path for the subtle messages ?

Peace and blessings

edit on 14/14/2024 by KnowItAllKnowNothin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2024 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: KnowItAllKnowNothin

Originally posted by KnowItAllKnowNothin
Oh man, that's a beautiful description.
I almost feel bad for teasing, ... almost ... hehe.

Perhaps Joseph-of-The-Halls-of-Contemplation ?

Thanks, and yeah that’s sounds more up my alley…Nice!

Find any truth yet ?

Yeah, quite a bit!

Everybody knows a coin has two sides.
Except for the edge, that kinda could be a side.
What if the edge is serrated ?
What about inside ?
Is inside, not a side ?
What I mean by that nonsense, is that I like to look at, ponder, contemplate things like you.
I also like to look for additional sides, alternative views, inside-out and backwards views.

People naturally look for answers but a key to seeking truth I find is by asking oneself the right questions…seeking out the right questions is very important…but no one can give them to you…You have to be searching with an intense passion (in any subject matter) to find those!... While also remaining completely honest with yourself; easy to say but difficult to do…

One example is intelligence.
There is a new thread here today about some bright your lady, passing a ridiculous amount of A-grade exams.
That's only one or two kinds of intelligence

Intelligence is tricky to define…And there are probably many shades of intelligence with varying degrees etc…but there are also some key ingredients that are needed like memory…without which nothing could be formulated or even recalled…

I have a bud who couldn't get-out of grade 9, yet his street-smarts are a wonder to observe.
Pro-athletes have their own flavor of genius, as do artists.
Creators of all stripes and flavours.
Channeling creation?

Street-smarts are sooo underrated…

If we only think of one kind of intelligence, we could miss all of the others.
And perhaps by contemplating other ideas, we open-up to them, somehow,
or somehow clear the path for the subtle messages?

Exactly…if we only think of the color blue then that’s all well ever see…gota stay open to the possibilities…

Peace to you too…

posted on Feb, 14 2024 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I agree about the subtlety, but perhaps, there are some, that can ride a vibe differently, and feel more intense in those sort of inner-messaging, meditating times ?

It is important to understand why that intensity exists. If we speculate that the inner is stillness, the outer is movement. We can only conclude from that speculation that "intensity" must derive from movement. It is perhaps the ego mind that is projecting that intensity as a defense against its death to stillness. The ego-mind wanting people to believe that the stillness is so intense that it is too much to bear. Yet if they could bathe in the absolute stillness for hours. They would find nothing intense about it at all.

Even if one has an understanding of the processes involved. If we have not burnt all our material desires at their roots. Any understanding of enlightenment is worthless. That understanding will be lost when our body and mind dies. All for naught. So two aspects are needed. Wisdom and Will. The primary being "Will". If we have the will to defeat all our material desires. Seeing them completely empty of eternal happiness. We can free our inner from entrapment. Let it take the reigns of our being.

Sorry for raving on.

Love.

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Howdy Joseph-of-The-Halls-of-Contemplation !

Glad that you have found some truths.
Some we may wish to keep, in our tended secret-garden.

Originally posted by Joseph-of-The-Halls-of-Contemplation
People naturally look for answers but a key to seeking truth I find is by asking oneself the right questions…seeking out the right questions is very important…but no one can give them to you…You have to be searching with an intense passion (in any subject matter) to find those!... While also remaining completely honest with yourself; easy to say but difficult to do

That reminded me of JK totally.

J. Krishnamurti Online

Most of us have very little energy. We spend a great deal of our energy in conflict, in struggle; waste it in various manners, not only sexually but also a great deal is wasted in contradiction, in the fragmentation of ourselves, which brings about conflict. This conflict is definitely a great waste of energy – the voltage decreases. Energy is necessary, not only physical energy but psychological energy – a mind that is intensely clear, logical, healthy, undistorted, and a heart that has no sentiment whatsoever, no emotion, but that quality of abundance of love and compassion. All this gives a great intensity and passion. You need that, otherwise you cannot take a journey into this thing called meditation. You may sit cross-legged, breathe – oh, all the fantastic ways – but you will never come to it.

From Public Talk 4, Santa Monica, 8 March 1970

I don't think that I'm anywhere in the same neighborhood as JK, but perhaps in the same province ?
( Maybe a big province, LoL !! )

May I ask how you developed your pondering, meditative, contemplative thinking/questioning style/methods ?

Member Good-Glend has been an avid meditator for a while, and I'm wondering how close we are to what is taught to students in meditation centres.

If you missed it : there is a very interesting thread ongoing, where Member Compendium is sharing esoteric knowledge taught to initiates : ATS : It's 15 years since Hidden Hand's dialogue with ATS members.

Love and blessings, and a beverage of your choice.

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

Greetings Good-Glend !

Thanks for explaining the intensity.

My ego wants to find an example of where that intensity is not ego, hihihi !

I still have roots in the material world, but what you are saying here,
is very much also akin to some of JK's quotes.

Those roots keep me here, and will for a while.
Otherwise : I could totally see going-off to live my " Ikigai ",
or some " Into-the-Wild ", mad-trapper, type scenario, in a remote log-cabin.

...Even if one has an understanding of the processes involved. If we have not burnt all our material desires at their roots. Any understanding of enlightenment is worthless. That understanding will be lost when our body and mind dies. All for naught. So two aspects are needed. Wisdom and Will. The primary being "Will". If we have the will to defeat all our material desires. Seeing them completely empty of eternal happiness. We can free our inner from entrapment. Let it take the reigns of our being.

Is it still called raving, when it oozes with wisdom ?
You're oozing, or perhaps : there is merely the oozing of wisdom, as our old friend ItIsNowAgain might have offered.

Now I need to question how strong that will is.
It does not dominate, because ego is still here, and in varying strength, in varying moments.

Your words also remind me of supposedly imaginary philosopher Jed McKenna, when he said something to the tune of : " If you're going looking for the truth, you leave all baggage behind. All of it. " ( Paraphrased. )

The nobody that approaches the gateless-gate, is naked inside and out.
But I'm dressed for winter, and partially dressed to meet society.

Love and blessings.

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Jed Mckenna - Everything You Need To Know

This, not that.

edit on 15/15/2024 by KnowItAllKnowNothin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 09:38 PM
link   

ItsNowAgain certainly new the terrain. I enjoyed reading his posts.

Yes I too often ask how strong that will is. With my ego mind continually clawing its way back with temptations for this material world. The battle is ongoing. But I ask myself again and again do I want to exist in the ego-minds mediocrities. Or do I want give rise to a higher self that will enlighten the inner for all people (not for myself .. aka ego). So the will to fight for the well being of others is instrumental I feel. Its altruistic love versus selfishness.

The ego-mind will win at times. I will be lost in its thoughts. Then whilst in those thoughts I will notice the ringing of the Anahata Naad (unstruck sound). Which pulls me back into the now of pure awareness. In which no ego-mind thoughts exists. So like a puppet I get pulled backward and forward. But if we have the will never to give up the battle. At least there is a chance of success.

Love to all.
edit on 15-2-2024 by glend because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

Greetings Good-Glend.

Reading your post, brought me right back to the OP.

This battle being waged, in every moment, in the now.
We look at ourselves, and see what old monkey ego is up-to.
We can take our time, and make the right choice.

Let Love be with U.

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by BatCaveJoe [/]
People naturally look for answers but a key to seeking truth I find is by asking oneself the right questions…seeking out the right questions is very important…but no one can give them to you…You have to be searching with an intense passion (in any subject matter) to find those!... While also remaining completely honest with yourself; easy to say but difficult to do

Originally posted by KnowItAllKnowNothin [/]
That reminded me of JK totally.

J. Krishnamurti Online

Most of us have very little energy. We spend a great deal of our energy in conflict, in struggle; waste it in various manners, not only sexually but also a great deal is wasted in contradiction, in the fragmentation of ourselves, which brings about conflict. This conflict is definitely a great waste of energy – the voltage decreases. Energy is necessary, not only physical energy but psychological energy – a mind that is intensely clear, logical, healthy, undistorted, and a heart that has no sentiment whatsoever, no emotion, but that quality of abundance of love and compassion. All this gives a great intensity and passion. You need that, otherwise you cannot take a journey into this thing called meditation. You may sit cross-legged, breathe – oh, all the fantastic ways – but you will never come to it.

From Public Talk 4, Santa Monica, 8 March 1970

Hey, thanks for sharing…very inspiring words by JK…

I can definitely attest to the fact that having a clear, logically thinking mind that is driven by Love and compassion, are the real keys to finding spiritual Truth imo…

May I ask how you developed your pondering, meditative, contemplative thinking/questioning style/methods?

It’s a long story lol but to cut it short…I had a spiritual awakening studying the Bible…I then branched out into Gnosticism and more recently into Rosicrucianism…But I also find that Wisdom and Truth can sometimes turn up in the most unexpected places…such as from the many great literary writers.

I guess my method would be using logic and reason, guided by the heart. Additionally studying a text without formulating any fixed ideas about it is quite important too; The ability to just think and contemplate the words without bringing in any judgments or bias is an important part of it too.

Additionally having a thirst for truth that comes from deep down inside your soul, will lead you to asking yourself the right questions…If you put your whole heart, soul and mind into seeking, then things will naturally begin to reveal themselves to you…

Member Good-Glend has been an avid meditator for a while, and I'm wondering how close we are to what is taught to students in meditation centres.

I used to be a long time poster here…but since the “Big Hack”, I decided to start a-fresh with a new account name!...Glend is awesome, I’ve interacted with him/her a quite a few times before…

It’s funny because during my spiritual journey I spent a lot of time just contemplating the text…I often saw this as a kind of form of meditation, although not meditation as is seen from any Buddhist traditions etc…

If you missed it : there is a very interesting thread ongoing, where Member Compendium is sharing esoteric knowledge taught to initiates : ATS : It's 15 years since Hidden Hand's dialogue with ATS members.

Love and blessings, and a beverage of your choice.

Pretty much a trip down memory lane for me, as my first ever post was actually on that thread under my original handle name!

posted on Feb, 19 2024 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=27303115]BatCaveJoe

Originally posted by BatCaveJoe

Hey, thanks for sharing…very inspiring words by JK…

I can definitely attest to the fact that having a clear, logically thinking mind that is driven by Love and compassion, are the real keys to finding spiritual Truth imo…

It’s a long story lol but to cut it short…I had a spiritual awakening studying the Bible…I then branched out into Gnosticism and more recently into Rosicrucianism…But I also find that Wisdom and Truth can sometimes turn up in the most unexpected places…such as from the many great literary writers.

I guess my method would be using logic and reason, guided by the heart. Additionally studying a text without formulating any fixed ideas about it is quite important too; The ability to just think and contemplate the words without bringing in any judgments or bias is an important part of it too.

Additionally having a thirst for truth that comes from deep down inside your soul, will lead you to asking yourself the right questions…If you put your whole heart, soul and mind into seeking, then things will naturally begin to reveal themselves to you…

I used to be a long time poster here…but since the “Big Hack”, I decided to start a-fresh with a new account name!...Glend is awesome, I’ve interacted with him/her a quite a few times before…

It’s funny because during my spiritual journey I spent a lot of time just contemplating the text…I often saw this as a kind of form of meditation, although not meditation as is seen from any Buddhist traditions etc…

Pretty much a trip down memory lane for me, as my first ever post was actually on that thread under my original handle name!

Hola Joseph-of-The-Halls-of-Montez .... oops, Contemplation !

Thanks for sharing.

A lot of references to Rudolph Steiner have been popping-up in my podverse algorithms lately.
His teachings seem to be popular these days.
Dr. Robert Gilbert is all over the podverse these days, speaking of Steiner, and Sacred-Geometry.

I have been continuing to look into what was described in the OP, and what we have been discussing until now, so my feeds are just full of similar info.
I see similitudes in so much that is going-on these days.

Even Race-car driver Danica Patrick is getting into the act !

I was a tad surprised when The Alchemist Sarah said the base truth is objective reality.
Wasn't expecting that, LoL !!

And so the podverse spirals, and here is Danica with Gilbert, discussing Rosicrucianism, and more :

I saw this one with Guy Lawrence and RJ Spina the other day, and enjoyed a lot.

I can't stop seeing similarities in so many things they discuss !

There are a lot of nice comments on those vids as well.

Considered also, that there is selling, promotion, business and all that jazz, and also plenty of ego, and yet : there was something there, underneath, that was interesting.

Please let me know if there is anything in those vids that you feel interested in mentioning, or I could do some TLDR summaries if you are not into vids.

Blessings , Love, and Peace, be with you.

edit on 19/19/2024 by KnowItAllKnowNothin because: Hi. I just edited the post. Sorry.

edit on 19/19/2024 by KnowItAllKnowNothin because: Hi. I just edited the post. Sorry. Hihihi !

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Hola Joseph-of-The-Halls-of-Montez .... oops, Contemplation !

Thanks for sharing.

A lot of references to Rudolph Steiner have been popping-up in my podverse algorithms lately.
His teachings seem to be popular these days.
Dr. Robert Gilbert is all over the podverse these days, speaking of Steiner, and Sacred-Geometry.

Yeah, Steiner is pretty good…I have some of his lectures on Rosicrucianism in mp3 format…he’s also written a few books on Theosophy too…

Max Heindel is another who’s written quite extensively on Rosicrucianism.

I have been continuing to look into what was described in the OP, and what we have been discussing until now, so my feeds are just full of similar info.
I see similitudes in so much that is going-on these days.

Even Race-car driver Danica Patrick is getting into the act!

That was a great interview…thanks for sharing… Sarah Elkhaldy has clearly done a lot of deep contemplative work on so many levels…I was really impressed!

I was a tad surprised when The Alchemist Sarah said the base truth is objective reality.
Wasn't expecting that, LoL !!

I think this is the core essence of Rosicrucianism…in that the Soul journey is the whole point, we are meant to be experiencing this reality, while being aware of higher spiritual realities.

And so the podverse spirals, and here is Danica with Gilbert, discussing Rosicrucianism, and more:

Interesting interview…especially the stuff about Archangel Michael having all the knowledge of the Gnosis…incredible!

Here’s a fairly good interview about the underground movement of the Rosicrucians enlightenment.

Peace be with you…

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Very interesting about the " underground " , or lost movement.

We are deceived about our true nature, which is good, and in-harmony with nature.

A Sonia Choquette vid, just because she's so nice, LoL !!

Yes : she put's out regular free material, and she's also selling books and other, are they all ?

Let Love Be with U

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 01:51 PM
link   

how else can GOD find out whats really in your heart?
ASK YOU? people lie but their actions dont

plus, if you had worshippers....
would you really want the ones, that dont wanna be there?
giving fake smiles and cursing you under their breath

who would there be to take out vengeance upon?

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: reader110

Thanks for reading reader, and thanks for writing, reader.

Perhaps if God is external, then what we are describing is that point-of-contact, within us all, where He/She can see our true heart ?

Also where He/She can directly feed us the right energy, Love ?

Let's find a way to make it all fit.

Welcome, peace and blessings.

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 09:20 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2024 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I found this message resonated with the previously mentioned idea of looking at something, until it disappears.

J. Krishnamurti :
Do you know what beauty is? You see a mountain, clear in the blue sky, covered with dazzling snow; a deep valley. At that moment, you are not, because that immensity drives out everything away from you. Have you noticed that? That is, the great beauty of the mountain is so immense that you with all your problems, with your worries, with your desires and all the rest of it, for that single second, you are not. Beauty is when you are not.

From Public Talk 3, Bombay (Mumbai), 15 January 1977

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join