It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wind farm in central alaska

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2024 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

The turbines do not last more than a few years before they need replacing same with the blades , none of that machines ever make a profit with the maintenance they require , there is a video of a guy who makes heaters with old beer tins etc and even in winter with snow on they pump heat into the house and only cost a hundred or so bucks to make .

I will go searching YouTube m.youtube.com...

edit on 22/1/2024 by stonerwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2024 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Why don't they just throw all the old parts into the ocean? It's not like the fish have any say in it and the hippies are probably scared of the water.
Win win imho

posted on Jan, 23 2024 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam

If you want to see real madness come to the UK and you will not believe your eyes or ears , paying suppliers not to turn the wind farms on, to windy to operate are just some of the crazy things we hear.

We had gusts of wind last night of 60 to 90 mph which is pretty normal for winter time , that destroys these towers more than they admit and they need replacing way more than what the manufacturer states It was utter lunacy what the government did here and destroyed the coal stations rather than mothball them .

And good luck trying to find a use for the old blades ,, they litter the landscape everywhere

Don't forget the attached diesel generators to save them from freezing up.
Still waiting for this cheap renewable energy and millions of jobs.My electricity has trebled in price in ten years.
Loving known as bird mincers where I stay.Where are the green whingers worrying about millions of dead birds?

posted on Jan, 23 2024 @ 01:22 AM
link   
It`s pure lunacy . Not just because it`s not reliable as should to give electricity , but also because living near those can cause serious health effects, the infrasound that the rolling blades produce can cause health issues.

They are close to produce tiny micro nuclear reactors around World .

eVinci™ Microreactor

Hopefully microreactors would succeed ...

posted on Jan, 23 2024 @ 05:14 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Yes land destruction from also what you added. Maintenance roads, power line accesss usually through trees. Etc. I know, I fly over them all the time. The ranchers and people who live out in a lot of these beautiful areas, the scenery has been destroyed. They aren’t happy.

Not including the fact that I’ll see 30-40+ Windmills and only one or two are turning.

I should take pictures and make a collage for the greenies.

Edit to add, basically like the 1800 mines you still see today, the scaring of some of these gorgeous areas out west the tailings and roads still there.

What will these wind farms look like 150 years from now? I guess it doesn’t matter to you or I, we’ll be long gone.
edit on 23-1-2024 by 38181 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2024 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Well, my sister and her county managed to fight them.
Not only are they an environmental disaster, if they already know that they cause miscarriages in horses and sheep, what are they doing to the local wildlife.
Plus the environmental damage if one springs a (very toxic) oil leak.

I need to see if my sister has everything on a drive. They got crazy lucky and had a 30 year librarian doing research for them. Plus had blank checks from a horse breeder in Texas for the lawyers.

Fight if you can!!!

posted on Jan, 23 2024 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Good day...only thing I can add is across the water from my shoreline in Canada, are a dozen or so wind turbines, you can see from over on our side Lake Erie shores.

These are in the middle of tomato and corn patches...not many buildings there....just grow fields. It seems rom here pointless. Just in grow-fields? Lotta effort, small return ( I believe it was once only 20% power provided.)

Don't know in the end where all this is going...but I'm guessing eventually total darkness. It's the way to bring man to his knees.

Take away all mans "stuff"... and power will be the least of our worries....just pretty giant white fans spinning connected to nothing for eternity...***

***Some 40 years now...I've been suspicious of Solar and Wind. An original hippie...I was all for it....until I understood that it is both rhe simplest answer...and both the easiest to be manipulated.
edit on 01242431America/ChicagoTue, 23 Jan 2024 09:31:24 -060031202400000024 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2024 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: glen200376

I keep a eye on the price of commodities every day and have never seen gas so cheap on the market ,Which they say is used to generate the electricity we use .

It is normally between 130 and 180 a thern but has been at the 60s range for well over a year now and the prices we are getting charged is still rising, yet the suppliers were all saying 80 % of their energy was green and renewable lol .

I just received a email about them forcing me to get a smart meter
installed, which I will try to fight tooth and nail but living in a council property that might be hard , I know you can buy your own meter and have it installed by a registered installer , But they are already saying the tariff could change up to 50 times a day with the smart meters? .

When I was a kid if you said it was cold you were told to tuck a shirt over it
we are back there now what I put into my gas meter 6 years ago for a fortnight only lasts 4 days now and I have not touched the timer or the thermostat since I moved in .

But hey the share holders are making record profits

posted on Jan, 23 2024 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Why is it always about wind farms? I haven't heard anything about solar farms in a long time. I found it surprising that someone here mentioned wave generation. What about geothermal? Alaska is geologically active, probably with some good thermal vents to use.

Why are these projects about massive centralized energy that is patched into the grid and not individual "cells" that produce energy where needed? That could even apply all the way down to the way a house is wired. Each circuit generates the amount it needs to use, or each energy-using appliance generates its own electricity. This may sound unfeasible to do, even a crazy idea, but it's no crazier than what the government endorses and supports IMO.

posted on Jan, 23 2024 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: TheMichiganSwampBuck

Funny you mention that, there is a geothermal plant near the hot springs.

Apparently they are labeled a risk for air and water pollution, not sure why have gone down that rabbit hole.

Mtn range near Fairbanks has multiple hot springs so it's a viable option.

posted on Jan, 23 2024 @ 03:03 PM
link   
No opinion here, just asking some questions.

It appears there is a wind farm in AK which from the minimal amount I've read on it, seems to be working well.

The first power from Eva Creek Wind came into the grid at 9 a.m. on October 24, 2012. On January 7, 2013, all 12 turbines were fully tested, commissioned and generating power.

At just under 25 megawatts, Eva Creek is the largest wind project in Alaska and the first by any Railbelt utility. It is located 14 miles from Healy at the top of the 10-mile Ferry mining road.

The Eva Creek Wind project is visible from the Parks Highway. As you’re headed north out of Healy, look to the right in the vicinity of Milepost 263.

The addition of Eva Creek Wind is exciting for Golden Valley Electric Association (GVEA) and the Interior as a whole. The project integrates well into GVEA’s system and enables the cooperative to meet its Renewable Energy Pledge ahead of schedule. Eva Creek Wind also helps reduce the Interior’s dependence on oil for power generation.

Fast Facts
Capacity: 24.6 megawatts
Helped GVEA meet its Renewable Energy Pledge, which called for 20% of the system’s peak load to be generated by renewable resources by 2014. GVEA’s 2014 peak load was 201.6 megawatts (MW).
2013 Capacity Factor: 33%
Project Information
Total Project Costs: $93 million
State Appropriations: $13.4 million
Amount Capitalized: $84 million
GVEA-Owned and Operated
General Contractor: Michels Wind Energy
Turbine Statistics
Turbines: 12 Senvion turbines (MM92, Cold Climate Version Machines)
Turbine Hub Height: 262 feet (80 meters)
Rotor Diameter: 303 feet (92.5 meters)
Height of Turbine from Base to Blade Tip: Approximately 410 feet (125 meters)
Minimum Wind Speed: 6.7 mph
Maximum Wind Speed: 53.7 mph

www.gvea.com...

What's the difference between Fairbanks and this location? Is inefficiency the issue with the new wind farm?

It's too bad government has to shut down all options though once they sign on to something new. All logic would be to sustain all options and using the most efficient foremost.

posted on Jan, 23 2024 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: 38181

Yes land destruction from also what you added. Maintenance roads, power line accesss usually through trees. Etc. I know, I fly over them all the time. The ranchers and people who live out in a lot of these beautiful areas, the scenery has been destroyed. They aren’t happy.

Not including the fact that I’ll see 30-40+ Windmills and only one or two are turning.

I should take pictures and make a collage for the greenies.

Edit to add, basically like the 1800 mines you still see today, the scaring of some of these gorgeous areas out west the tailings and roads still there.

What will these wind farms look like 150 years from now? I guess it doesn’t matter to you or I, we’ll be long gone.

Have you seen an open-cut coal mine and a coal burning power station?

posted on Jan, 23 2024 @ 05:59 PM
link   

That top pic is a Canadian owned Gold mine in the United States (go figure). I won’t speak for the other two, other than Nuclear is basically a Steam turbine generator., and less of an eyesore.

And on that note, go check out the open pit mines in Nevada, also all owned by Canada. When the shut down they also file for bankruptcy so they can leave their trash without having to restore any of it.
edit on 23-1-2024 by 38181 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2024 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

thats a couple hours SW of me, im about an hour or 2 se of the proposed new farm.

Other than a lot less strain on wind farm, as the location off murphey dome will mean most of what ever it produces will be for fairbanks,*shrugs* I dont know putting it in and shutting down a power plant makes no sense to me.

Location they are going to place it is also a main road to one of the best viewing points for the aurora in the central region. (hit to tourism)

posted on Jan, 23 2024 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: 38181

That top pic is a Canadian owned Gold mine in the United States (go figure). I won’t speak for the other two, other than Nuclear is basically a Steam turbine generator., and less of an eyesore.

And on that note, go check out the open pit mines in Nevada, also all owned by Canada. When the shut down they also file for bankruptcy so they can leave their trash without having to restore any of it.

Yeah, I got caught out by Google search there on that first image. I searched on "open cut coal mine" and clicked "Images".

But the second is an open-cut coal mine, in the Hunter Valley, NSW, Australia.

I agree with you on nuclear, but they have historically had a few accidents, that doesn't inspire confidence. Liquid Thorium Salt reactors would be nice, but I'm not sure of their economic viability compared to coal.

And nothing's more precious than a hole in the ground.

posted on Jan, 24 2024 @ 02:51 AM
link   

edit on 1/24/2024 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2024 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Wind farms are notoriously BAD for birds. The bird strikes are carnage. Especially the American Bald Eagle. Symbol of America. Tens of thousands are killed every year by those damn windmills.

posted on Jan, 24 2024 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Pm for you FF

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join