It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISS the movie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2024 @ 02:22 AM
link   
ISS the movie

Greatinga science fiction fans. I will attempt a movie review.

Danger Will Robinson!
Warning! Warning!
Spoilers ahead!

I watched the movie ISS yesterday. It was disappointing.

It pretends to be a science fiction movie. In fact it is a story of the conflicts, both internal and external, worthy of the old cold war. While it is on the International Space Station, there is no science fiction in it, other than the magic gravity that keeps blatantly waving at the audience.

They did a good job with the hair. Short or tight, no waving around in micro gravity. But the cloth entirely fails to get the message that it is in orbit. The floating scenes are reasonably well done with lots of exceptions.

The big problem is the EVA. One man outside with no partner and no suited up backup man. The teather is quite inadequate in both length and use.

The man overboard incident totally misses orbital dynamics. The ISS has gravity in itself that keeps any one floating free in the area of the station. Given time, you would return to the station by it's gravity or by the orbital dynamics of being in an almost identical orbit. The two would encounter each other every 45 minutes in a 90 minute orbital period..

The rescue is accomplished by the astronaut grabbing onto a solar panel and just hangs on there. No attempt to return to the safety of inside the station as one would expect.

Also, there is no pre breathing of pure oxygen before EVA. This takes hours and is necessary to prevent the bends as the suit pressure is much lower than the station pressure to allow the suit elements to flex.

The treadmill is just unbelievable. It is attached to a wall in the scene where it is used. The problem is not the wall placement but the fact it is attached solidly. The actual ISS treadmill has to be free floating with spring teathers to not transfer the motion of the user to the stations structure itself. The oscillations tend to break things like the section couplings.

This also brings up the fact that there is a single down direction in most scenes. Why? All surfaces and positions are utilized in the real ISS but not here. Just a few scenes where there is no down as it should be.

The global nuclear war is noticed by someone seeing it through the window. Really? No other clue? Everything with a speaker on the station would be poping like an AM radio in a thunderstorm. The EMP must have been on vacation that day.

The foreshadowing of events, the action of the mice versus the actions of the humans, is blatantly obvious.

Now for the worst part. The station moved to a lower orbit to pick up the most recent arriving capsule. Why waste the fuel? It then looses power after the mushrooms bloom on Earth. Oh no, they are falling towards the atmosphere and only have a day before the station burns up. Instead of artificial gravity, this station has artificial, life threatening, delimas.

Overall pretty scenery with a predictable storyline that makes many mistakes and a technically inept presentation.

If you like small scale political conflict with hand to hand combat at the end of the world, you might like it. But science fiction does not show up in this movie.

Worth watching it for free or a subscription, but don't bother paying at the theater.

I give it a remote manipulator thumbs down.

Sorry if you don't like the review but I like hard scifi to even science fanticy but this is neither.

edit on 21-1-2024 by BeyondKnowledge3 because: hitched up trailer

posted on Jan, 21 2024 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: BeyondKnowledge3

Overall pretty scenery with a predictable storyline that makes many mistakes and a technically inept presentation.

Standard Hollywood Fayre then , at least the music was on point.

posted on Jan, 21 2024 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Standard Hollywood Fayre then , at least the music was on point.

Yes, the music was one of if not the best part of the movie.

The funny thing is that after viewing the trailer again, I did not put very many spoilers in the review at all. They are revealed in the trailer.

edit on 21-1-2024 by BeyondKnowledge3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2024 @ 09:20 AM
link   

That’s pretty much what I expected.
Hollywood will take a story, plop it in a difficult location and pretend it’s something new.

I can overlook the bad science of movies and just enjoy the story but there better be something good to catch my attention. Unfortunately this sounds like a side A vs side B story with a ticking clock countdown until the boat sinks, bomb blows, plane crashes, train hits the station..etc kinda movie.

posted on Jan, 21 2024 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

You pretty much covered it with some intrigue with who exactly is the bad guy and good guy on both side A and side B. As to who is following orders and who just wants to survive and save who they can.

Edit: I almost forgot the typical forbiden love interest between one of A and one of B. Also the hunt for secrete treasure to help others on the planet below but just happens to be on the station.

edit on 21-1-2024 by BeyondKnowledge3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2024 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Thank you for your review...it was very, almost too critical, but nevertheless honest.

Everyone has their own flavour and taste in movies...the concept of the movie is good....stuck in ISS with conflicts while there is a nuke war happening on Earth. WHo would have thought that could possibly happen in life? It might happen, you never know.

Aside from the nitpicky astrophysics, which I love physics btw (one of my sciences I did really well in), I am sure there are some cheesiness parts in the movie, can't blame the producer. Mind you there were lots of broken physics in Armageddon, but I fuc*ing loved that movie! Same went for Starship Troopers.

Now if this was to be on par with Interstellar, I don't think ISS would be that comparable to it.

But I love space movies just for the imagination and not the calculation

S&F

posted on Jan, 21 2024 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

It has the overall treatment of technology as the movie 'Gravity' but it outdated itself in the first minutes. Only soyuz capsules go to the station. This means only Russia and guide the capsules.

I can also go for the more story and less technical accurate movies, but this one tries to go very real but misses all the details. The story concept is great but the telling needs tweaking all the way through. I think the writer and director were not space fans.

posted on Jan, 21 2024 @ 12:56 PM
link   
This one seriously stinks for predictive programming, I will be skipping it!

posted on Jan, 21 2024 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeyondKnowledge3
ISS the movie

... I watched the movie ISS yesterday. It was disappointing.. ..

What‽ A disappointing movie from Hollywood? You don't say!

Yeah, seems it's been years since I've seen a movie from Hollywood the wasn't disappointing.

posted on Jan, 22 2024 @ 10:08 AM
link   

edit on 1/22/2024 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2024 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: AwakeNotWoke

The second Avatar movie was pretty good. It was all made up though. This one was supposed to be and could easily have been 90% realistic but it turned out to be about 30 to 40%. That is where the disappointment comes in.

If you make a science fiction movie set in reality and roughly in the present, put some effort into getting it right instead of just somewhat close to the general direction.

new topics

top topics

join