It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Celtic Jazz , ‘’Shetland Reels’’ Amy Laurenson

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2024 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I am happy to introduce this young piano wizardess from Shetland, Amy Laurenson.

Having a musical background in Celtic and Bluegrass music myself, the title of this piece caught my attention yesterday and I thought to myself, “T’’ you haven’t listened to a good reel for a while so why not now.” So I clicked my Spotify button and set off on a course that swept me away.

Laurenson’s music spans several genres. Most evident from the title and the lilt of her jig, the Celtic influence immediately stands out and if one is prone to the repetitious phrasing of Scottish, Irish, Shetland musics her music is like an energetic river. Bouncing along on the bob of her syncopation then leads to an astounding twist into jazz that pulls one up into moments of Dave Brubeck, Vince Guaraldi and even, for brief flourishes , George Gershwin.

As she is only now beginning her professional career, her presence on Spotify is limited. But having checked You Tube,I found she is already well presented with a number of concert pieces and practice sessions.
Rather than filling this thread with other videos, if you like this you can easily find more of her on You Tube.

posted on Jan, 20 2024 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: BingoMcGoof

I am happy to introduce this young piano wizardess from Shetland, Amy Laurenson.

Having a musical background in Celtic and Bluegrass music myself, the title of this piece caught my attention yesterday and I thought to myself, “T’’ you haven’t listened to a good reel for a while so why not now.” So I clicked my Spotify button and set off on a course that swept me away.

Laurenson’s music spans several genres. Most evident from the title and the lilt of her jig, the Celtic influence immediately stands out and if one is prone to the repetitious phrasing of Scottish, Irish, Shetland musics her music is like an energetic river. Bouncing along on the bob of her syncopation then leads to an astounding twist into jazz that pulls one up into moments of Dave Brubeck, Vince Guaraldi and even, for brief flourishes , George Gershwin.

As she is only now beginning her professional career, her presence on Spotify is limited. But having checked You Tube,I found she is already well presented with a number of concert pieces and practice sessions.
Rather than filling this thread with other videos, if you like this you can easily find more of her on You Tube.

I dig the match up with the acoustic guitar and piano.
I was wondering how she was going to keep up with his rif.
Then she started to play and removed all doubt.

Very cool music

posted on Jan, 21 2024 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: SpyingOnSpies

I've listened to a lot of her in the last day or so and I think that this group on Reels, is her ''band'' that she tours wwith. And yeah, the guy on acoustic guitar is no slouch either. A number of the sessions I watched are just him and her. They are a fine combo.

posted on Jan, 21 2024 @ 02:37 AM
link   

edit on 1/21/2024 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2024 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Spam

edit on 1/21/2024 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join