It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The last man on the moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2024 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I had Buzz Aldrin on one of my flights departing Houston and during the boarding process he stopped by the cockpit. I looked at him and he looked at me as I was standing up doing the normal "meet and greet" of the passengers. I said, " Well I think I might know you" while all the time I knew who he was... He stuck out his hand and said "Buzz Aldrin" to which I replied come on in and take a seat (meaning the cockpit) he stepped in and I introduced him to my first and second officers. I told him he could stay during the flight (totally against rules and regulations) but he assured me his first class seat would be better than the cockpit jump seat.. We laughed and after a bit he left. I told my first class flight attendant whatever Buzz wants to drink the company is buying. The flight attendant winked and said, "OK boss, can do."

Thankfully I made one of those kind of landings at our destination that is described as a cat pissing on a piece of velvet ... When he left the aircraft he stuck his head in the cockpit and gave us a thumbs up,,, It's an aviation kind of thing ,,,hahahah

youtu.be...

[exThe speaker is Eugene "Gene" Cernan an American astronaut who was the last person to walk on the Moon during NASA's Apollo 17 mission in December 1972. My team recorded this interview in 1994. Cernan's first spaceflight was as the pilot of the Gemini 9A mission in June 1966. He served as the lunar module pilot for Apollo 10 in May 1969, a mission that served as a dress rehearsal for the Apollo 11 lunar landing. Cernan and his fellow crew members flew to within 9.7 miles of the lunar surface but did not land. Cernan's most significant achievement came as the commander of Apollo 17, NASA's final manned lunar mission. This mission took place from December 7 to December 19, 1972. Cernan, along with Harrison Schmitt and Ronald Evans, conducted extensive geological experiments on the Moon, collected valuable samples, and spent a total of about 22 hours on the lunar surface. Cernan's departure from the Moon's surface on December 14, 1972, marked the last time a human set foot on the Moon to date. The NASA Gemini program was a series of manned space missions conducted in the mid-1960s that paved the way for the Apollo program and the eventual landing of astronauts on the Moon. The primary goals of the Gemini program were to develop and test the necessary technology and techniques for future lunar missions as well as to gain experience with long-duration spaceflights and extravehicular activities (spacewalks). The Apollo program was a series of manned space missions conducted by NASA in the 1960s and early 1970s with the primary goal of landing humans on the Moon and safely bringing them back to Earth. Apollo 11 (AS-506): Launched on July 16, 1969, this historic mission was the first to successfully land humans on the Moon. Astronauts Neil Armstrong and Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin became the first humans to walk on the lunar surface while Michael Collins orbited above. Armstrong's famous words as he stepped onto the Moon were, "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." Apollo 17 (AS-512): Launched on December 7, 1972, this was the final mission of the Apollo program. Astronauts Eugene Cernan and Harrison Schmitt conducted extensive scientific research on the lunar surface while Ronald Evans orbited above. Cernan's departure from the Moon marked the last time humans have walked on its surface to date. The Apollo program was a monumental achievement in space exploration. It demonstrated the United States' ability to land humans on the Moon and return them safely, advanced scientific knowledge about the Moon and space, and left a lasting legacy in human history. The program's technological innovations and scientific discoveries continue to influence space exploration efforts to this day. Currently NASA's Artemis program, which was announced in 2019, aims to send the next astronauts to the lunar surface by the mid-2020s. The goal of the Artemis program is to land "the first woman and the next man" on the Moon, and it is part of NASA's long-term vision for sustainable lunar exploration. If you are interested in seeing more clips about man's efforts to explore space search the word "NASA" on my YouTube channel 1 you will find dozens of clips from this television series and others that I have made on this subject.]

posted on Jan, 8 2024 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

That's awesome, Sky! I always look forward to your threads, and you didn't disappoint!

posted on Jan, 8 2024 @ 09:36 AM
link   
The BBC have a written format they published yesterday also

The last of the Moon men: the stories of the surviving Apollo astronauts

posted on Jan, 8 2024 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

You should have announced over the intercom that you have arrived at your Lunar destination and everyone should stay seated until Buzz has climbed down the ladder and made his speech first.

posted on Jan, 9 2024 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

a reply to: nerbot

posted on Jan, 9 2024 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dalamax
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

a reply to: nerbot

I find your lack of a sense of humor deliberate, but Bless You anyway.

top topics

join