It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tommy Smothers. The Smothers Brothers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Tom Smothers has reportedly passed on today.

Part of a gifted duo that was most relevant before I was alive, but I have not seen ats talk about this this up today.

It should be noted.

I'll let you all find what clips you want to share.

Bad me no citations just my words.

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Sad, they were two of my favorite comics growing up. I even have one of their albums, The Two Sides of the Smothers Brothers. RIP Tommy

Simpler times

edit on 27-12-2023 by KrustyKrab because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 11:50 PM
link   
It seems daily part of my childhood passes on.

RIP Tommy Smothers

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Classic comedy set-up. One goofy dummy and one straight-man . Abbott and Costello, Burns and Allen, Martin and Lewis. The Brothers though took it further into topical commentary, they challenged the establishment norms and got censored because of it. A major broadcast network actually took them off the air because of their defiance against political correctness.

posted on Dec, 28 2023 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Mom didn't like him best! I loved those guys ( me, guitar player).

posted on Dec, 28 2023 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Loved those guys when I was a little kid.
My parents had all their albums.

posted on Dec, 28 2023 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The Smothers Brothers created many political jokes that became timeless classics.

You can tell who's running the country by the amount of clothes people wear. When one group is in charge, people wear more clothes (the more-ons). When the other group is in charge, people wear less clothes (the less-ons). So, who is running the country now? The More-ons.

There was another one I was going to type but it totally slipped my mind while I was typing the first one. I'm sure I'll remember it later today.

RIP Tom.

posted on Dec, 28 2023 @ 01:33 PM
link   
And Burt and Ernie!

a reply to: BingoMcGoof

posted on Dec, 28 2023 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: KrustyKrab
Sad, they were two of my favorite comics growing up. I even have one of their albums, The Two Sides of the Smothers Brothers. RIP Tommy

Simpler times

When I was a kid my dad would play that album on the record player. I remember a song still by the Smothers Brothers. From memory it goes something like, "Haiowta, he went hunting. Had to make mittens from a bunnies rabbits fur." That's all I remember at this moment. I had some good laughs listening to them when I was a kid. My dad was a big fan of them.

posted on Dec, 28 2023 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=27260257]VictorVonDo

posted on Dec, 28 2023 @ 09:35 PM
link   

I knew I was telling it wrong.

I just wish I could remember the other one I was trying to think of. All I can remember is the joke is ubiquitous now, but it was first told on the Smothers Brothers.
edit on 28-12-2023 by VictorVonDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2023 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

For myself being a musician and a help to entertainers (technical theater),

There are few that master the timing and jokes of Tommy and Dick.

I did work for a night with Tim Conway and Harvey Korman. Which will always be a highlight in my life. I wish I could have done a night with the Smothers Brothers as well.

new topics

top topics

join