It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glynn Simmons declared innocent after serving 48 years in prison

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2023 @ 06:40 PM
link   

An Oklahoma judge on Tuesday declared innocent a man who spent 48 years in prison for a murder he did not commit – believed to be the longest amount of time served by anyone wrongfully convicted in the United States.

“This is a day we’ve been waiting on for a long, long time. It finally came,” Glynn Simmons, 70, told reporters, according to local news outlet KFOR, after the hearing where an Oklahoma County District Court judge issued an order formally declaring him innocent.

“We can say justice was done today, finally,” he said. “And I’m happy.”

Source

Glynn Simmons now holds the record for spending the most time behind bars while being wrongfully incarcerated. 48 years.

A private investigator discovered that the prosecution withheld that their only witness never identified Simmons during a lineup. Instead she identified a number of other men through numerous lineups. Despite this fact, she refused during trial that the only person she ever identified was Simmons.

This was on top of the fact that numerous people testified that Simmons was out of state at the time of the crime.

Despite the fact that Simmons dusenbury nearly five decades unjustly behind bars the most he can expect in compensation is $175,000. And even that paltry amount is questionable as Simmons' lawyer thinks the state will fight their suit.

posted on Dec, 21 2023 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Threadbarer

Wait....

Haven't you been telling us how infallible the justice system is?

Well, where Trump is concerned anyway......

Anyway, hope he gets 20 million like those Georgia ladies....

posted on Dec, 21 2023 @ 07:20 PM
link   

The state needs to buck up and pay this man some real money. If there's anyone deserving of living like a king for his remaining years, it's this man.

edit on 12/21/2023 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2023 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

This guys deserves that 150 million in GA....

posted on Dec, 22 2023 @ 01:19 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 22 2023 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Threadbarer

An Oklahoma judge on Tuesday declared innocent a man who spent 48 years in prison for a murder he did not commit – believed to be the longest amount of time served by anyone wrongfully convicted in the United States.

“This is a day we’ve been waiting on for a long, long time. It finally came,” Glynn Simmons, 70, told reporters, according to local news outlet KFOR, after the hearing where an Oklahoma County District Court judge issued an order formally declaring him innocent.

“We can say justice was done today, finally,” he said. “And I’m happy.”

Source

Glynn Simmons now holds the record for spending the most time behind bars while being wrongfully incarcerated. 48 years.

A private investigator discovered that the prosecution withheld that their only witness never identified Simmons during a lineup. Instead she identified a number of other men through numerous lineups. Despite this fact, she refused during trial that the only person she ever identified was Simmons.

This was on top of the fact that numerous people testified that Simmons was out of state at the time of the crime.

Despite the fact that Simmons dusenbury nearly five decades unjustly behind bars the most he can expect in compensation is $175,000. And even that paltry amount is questionable as Simmons' lawyer thinks the state will fight their suit.

How this man was convicted in the first place is really baffling unless they wanted to convict someone desperately and they needed a scapegoat. I propose long sentences for the prosecution lawyers and the judges who all conspired to jail this person and if they are still alive they should spend their rest of their lives in prison.
edit on 22-12-2023 by Farboso because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2023 @ 05:38 AM
link   

$175k is peanuts.

There seems to have been no diligence on the part of any involved institution which makes me think civil suits against the DA, Police, and his lawyers.

Good luck to him regardless.

posted on Dec, 22 2023 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Partridge

$175k is peanuts.

There seems to have been no diligence on the part of any involved institution which makes me think civil suits against the DA, Police, and his lawyers.

Good luck to him regardless.

Not just peanuts but it provokes the public opinion. He should be awarded millions at the very least.

posted on Dec, 22 2023 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Farboso

Forget the compensation (payoff) if it were me I would like to see those who set up and convicted me sent to jail for 48 years.

posted on Dec, 22 2023 @ 10:48 AM
link   

You're right, and his lawyers won't slow when comes to maximising his case.

Does make me think though - how do you compensate for all the joys he should be looking back on at 70, but we're replaced with a view through bars.

It's all the stuff of nightmares.

posted on Dec, 22 2023 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

The state needs to buck up and pay this man some real money. If there's anyone deserving of living like a king for his remaining years, it's this man.

And the prosecutors put in jail for 48 years too. I think prosecutors would do better if their freedom was on the line too. Also, how could the woman sleep at night, most likely dead now, but if not, put her in prison too.

edit on x31Fri, 22 Dec 2023 10:58:21 -06002023355America/ChicagoFri, 22 Dec 2023 10:58:21 -06002023 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2023 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: AllisVibration

Forget the compensation (payoff) if it were me I would like to see those who set up and convicted me sent to jail for 48 years.

It's what I said.
They need to spend the rest of their lives in jail and not just 48 years.

If any of them are still alive and for those who are I don't think they have much time left on this earth. Time is cruel.

top topics

join