It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former England Manager Terry Venables has Died Aged 80

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 08:09 AM
link   
It's been announced Former England Manager Terry Venables has died following a long illness , sad news for football fans who remember his tenure as probably the best manager England have had since Sir Alf with him taking England to the semi final of Euro 96 only to be beaten by the old enemy , Germany , on penalties , he was a bit of a lad in his personal and business dealings but bought wit and colour to the domestic and International clubs he managed and some belief to England football fans in that glorious Summer of 96 ... we loved him.

Legend indeed.
RiP Tel.

His family said he "passed away peacefully yesterday after a long illness".

Venables guided the men's national team to the semi-finals of the 1996 European Championships, where they were knocked out by Germany 6-5 on penalties at Wembley.

During his managerial career, he also was in charge of clubs including Tottenham, Crystal Palace, Queens Park Rangers and Barcelona.

In Spain, Venables, often referred to as El Tel, won the domestic title with the Catalan side in the 1984/85 season and then claimed the FA Cup with Tottenham in 1991.

Former England striker Alan Shearer, who spearheaded Venables' Euro 96 side, posted on X: "Extremely sad news the great Terry Venables has passed away. RIP Boss. I owe you so much. You were amazing."
news.sky.com...

edit on 26-11-2023 by gortex because: edit to add

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I'm sorry to hear that. I remember him, and yes, he was definitely a colourful persona. Reminded me of Del Boy or vice versa.

R.i.P. Terry ☹️⚽🏆

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 09:06 AM
link   

He also co-wrote the 1970's TV Series " Hazell "

R.I.P. Terry. Another one of the greats gone.

edit on 26-11-2023 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I did not know that , thanks.

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 09:18 AM
link   

You gave us a great summer El Tel

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Old school. We won't see his like again. Managers like him belong to time before the premiership sold English football out, and outsourced success.

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 11:36 PM
link   
RIP

posted on Nov, 27 2023 @ 05:45 AM
link   

He certainly had a bit of Cockney Barrow Boy character about him which endeared him to many.
He wasn't an Establishment type, even though I think he was careful not to ruffle their feathers, and had a very good football head. He was even a bit of an innovator.

Venables got the best out of Gascoigne who was a once in a generation talent.

I have fond memories of 96, it gave us hope again.

Certainly one of the best English managers that's been around in my lifetime and a character - he'll be missed.

top topics

join