It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GM autoworkers' contract appears likely to pass over many workers' objections

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2023 @ 05:38 PM
link   
www.npr.org...

Interesting article. It sounds like the big 3 automakers gave concessions to GM autoworkers union. They received most of what they asked for. But it seems that many are still voting no on this. It's been about six weeks since the GM autoworkers union went on strike.

My opinion on this is probably unpopular, but here goes: I believe that the deal that was ratified is a pretty good deal. I don't think the union will do much better. This is as good as it gets for them. I really think that by voting no that they are shooting themselves in the foot. Their pay will go up substantially. They won't have medical retirement benefits though.

I'm a progressive who likes unions for the most part. I used to be in one when I worked for my county human services department. Then that went away. But I was able to retire with a decent pension. Medical retirement benefits were never in our union contract when we had one. If it weren't for the fact that I'm the widow of a Navy retiree, I would not have been able to retire at the age of 55. I have Tricare. I'm not crazy about some of these huge unions though. I feel many of them are stuck in the past.

I don't believe that there are many unions out there that pay medical retirement benefits. From what I understand, back in the day (mid 20th century), people who worked at auto plants had terrific benefits. But this isn't your parent's/grandparent's auto plant/union anymore. It hasn't been for some time. People should not be stuck in the past when the American Dream was actually something one could strive for. The American Dream has been circling the drain.

People need to be realistic. In this day and age, you can consider yourself very fortunate if you have anyone that has your back at your workplace, whether it's a union, or just great management. You won't receive the same retirement benefits as former generations did. It's a different time.

posted on Nov, 15 2023 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

If Unions didn't transmogrify into partisan hacks and corrupt monopolies, they may have abit more sway in this day in age.

My personal opinion aside, from what I'm hearing there's concern over regions not voting, or rather abstaining. FWIW

posted on Nov, 15 2023 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Then there's rumors of the UAW planning to replace 1,000's of jobs with AI and robots in the near future.

Manufacturers aren't about to take a cut to their profit margin, so no matter what happens we're guaranteed to have much, much higher auto prices.

new topics

join