It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WWII Amphibious Vehicles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2023 @ 11:26 PM
link   
This is some really cool history. Those things you don't think about but came to fruition through odd ways.

Before the war, there was no need for AV's so the army never sought them out. Nor the navy. It just wasn't needed.

Or so they thought. When they finally did, they looked for it and found it in a rich man from Florida. He was looking for a way to help hurricane victims in Florida and started work on a vehicle that could help save them.

Ok, so they found a vehicle that can do what they want it to do, possibly. Now, the lecturer only deals with the war in the pacific, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think these vehicles weren't deployed on D-Day but I only know what was in this lecture so I don't really know the answer to that question.

Roebling is the guy who developed the AV. When the army came around to asking him about his vehicle, they noticed it was 9 feet 10 inches wide. Being as they were wondering about weight, size, etc. to transport overseas he told them is was 9'10" so it could fit in his garage which was ten feet wide. He needed that inch on each side.

Then came mass producing a thing that doesn't exist. Where do you get your ball bearings from? Your steel, wheels and other assorted items? It's a great testimony to the guys.

ETA: I took a gander at the wiki page and there's a whole lot of info there not discussed in the video but there's some info not in there also. Anyway, there it is.

Cspan
edit on 11112023 by TheSpanishArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2023 @ 12:07 AM
link   
It's awesome how the idea came to be, and how that concept transformed as the second World War raged on. Roebling was one of six manufacturers if I remember correctly.

LVTs had heavy usage in the Pacific as you point out, but they also aided allied forces during D-Day, but limited to off-loading cargo. It's interesting to note that the variants were added with a 20mm cannon (among other armaments depending on model), as we read about engagements and river crossing operations that occurred over the Rhine, Po River, etc.

Interesting stuff.

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 12:13 AM
link   
It's fascinating to hear this history of All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs) and their unexpected origins! I enjoyed learning about Roebling's ingenuity and how a man's desire to help hurricane victims serendipitously led to a vital tool for the military.

Your point about D-Day is interesting. While ATVs weren't specifically mentioned in the lecture, it wouldn't be surprising if they weren't utilized in Europe. Their debut seems more aligned with the Pacific theater with its diverse terrain and island hopping strategy. And i usually get ball bearings online, like eBay or other online store

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 07:18 PM
link   
As for ball bearings, eBay and other online stores are definitely convenient options. They offer a wide selection, competitive prices, and the ease of shopping from the comfort of your home. Just be sure to check reviews and seller credibility before making a purchase, especially for niche or specialized bearings.a reply to: jannickz

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

I almost bought a Dukw in the early 90s
en.m.wikipedia.org...

I was working in the oil rig repair yards in my country and it would have been great at some jobs , lucky I didn't as it was rotten with rust I found out

posted on Jan, 22 2024 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: jannickz

It's fascinating to hear this history of All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs) and their unexpected origins! I enjoyed learning about Roebling's ingenuity and how a man's desire to help hurricane victims serendipitously led to a vital tool for the military.

Your point about D-Day is interesting. While ATVs weren't specifically mentioned in the lecture, it wouldn't be surprising if they weren't utilized in Europe. Their debut seems more aligned with the Pacific theater with its diverse terrain and island hopping strategy. And i usually get ball bearings online, like eBay or other online store like TBS-Bearings

As for ball bearings, eBay and other online stores are definitely convenient options. They offer a wide selection, competitive prices, and the ease of shopping from the comfort of your home. Just be sure to check reviews and seller credibility before making a purchase, especially for niche or specialized bearings.
edit on 22-1-2024 by jannickz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2024 @ 10:35 PM
link   
The origin story of their development is truly intriguing: military technology often emerges from unexpected places, such as the involvement of a man in hurricane assistance. The history is undeniably captivating - indeed.

join