It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finding my place

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2023 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Its funny I grew up in Florida and 98% of the people I grew up with are still in florida and they constantly try to tell me how great it is, even though they have months where they wont do anything outside due to the heat and humidity.

I finally found my way to alaska after traveling all over the country and europe and I think I finally found home.

Beautiful scenery yep, great hunting and fishing and now that I am a resident I can dip net fish for salmon, fantastic hiking trails, some degree of risk.(ive found lynx tracks, moose sign, and got close enough to smell a bear all within a mile of my house and that doesnt include cold risk)

The people here are an odd mix of right wing conservative and hippy, but the over riding mentality is you leave me and mine alone, but if you need help ask and we will all come to help you.

But no matter what, you accomplish something every single day, shovel snow, cut trees, split wood, get snow off your roof, build a fire (cast iron wood stove heat greater than all), help neighbors, fishing in the spring and summer, hunting in the fall and if your tough enough winter. Once I clear some more debt Im going to go buy a good camera and start taking wild life and scenery photos. on a clear night I have never seen so many stars before, the aurora.

You never have a day where you are truly bored (even during 18+ hours of sunlight or darkness always something), yes you can take a day off here or there and it doesnt mess anything up but if you feel like you should always be doing something there is always something to do.

Big negative, its 8+% more expensive to live here than the average cost of living in the lower 48, the state govt is Hopelessly corrupt (they have pretty much destroyed the dividend payment), and we are on the extreme end of the supply chain so becoming a prepper is a necessity if you own a home, and energy costs are stupid I pay 9% more on my electric bill purely because I dont live inside fairbanks aint monopolies grand. Lastly inside the cities... well its meth'd up.

even with those negatives I cant see leaving, on a finaly plus side the VA here seems to be fantastic so far.
edit on 39Fri, 10 Nov 2023 16:39:28 -060039280404pmf by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2023 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Glad you're happy!

posted on Nov, 10 2023 @ 08:34 PM
link   
My happiest times were spent living in Alaska. I spent many decades wishing I was still there.

It's awfully sad the drugs and dirty politics took over. The bigger government gets, the worse off a state becomes.

Last time I was there was early 2000's; Fairbanks didn't seem much different than any big city Outside.

posted on Nov, 10 2023 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Sounds like you are in the best place. Isn't it wonderful when you find it? The things I hear about Alaska are amazing. I'm happy for you. No place is perfect, but it sure sounds close enough to perfect.

posted on Nov, 11 2023 @ 07:54 AM
link   

edit on 11/11/2023 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2023 @ 09:35 AM
link   

everyone I know who went to Alaska wanted to stay. It must be an amazing place. Glad you are happy there brother.

posted on Nov, 11 2023 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I spent a year and a half on Kodiak island in 1978-79, never made it to the mainland, but I absolutely loved Kodiak! I have a vivid memory of the huge stuffed Kodiak Brown Bear they had in a big glass case at the Anchorage Airport.

Took a small plane tour with my parents when they came up to visit, and as we were flying over a little river/stream, the pilot pointed out a bear standing beside a bush on the side of the stream. He dropped down pretty low and flew around the bear in a circle for a minute so we could get a good look, and after a few seconds, the bear stood up on its hind legs, and when he did, I realized, that wasn't a bush he was standing beside, it was a freakin tree. That thing was huge, must have been 12-15' tall standing up. All I could think was 'please please don't crash this plane'...
edit on 11-11-2023 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2023 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

When I smelled the bear I was getting ready to jump across a creek, nothing for protection other than a .45 and I was searching for a dog.

If it had the dog that would have been a very short painful day for me, considering the size they can reach by the end of summer I had no interest in laying eyes on it.

posted on Nov, 11 2023 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Think of the man who is blind. How is it...HE will know if he finds his "place"...if everyplace to him everywhere...is all black? Which of the "blacks' will he recognize his "place"?

Sorry...but I tend to wax-philosophical on weekends!
edit on 11231330America/ChicagoSat, 11 Nov 2023 19:35:13 -060035202300000013 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2023 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

When I smelled the bear I was getting ready to jump across a creek, nothing for protection other than a .45 and I was searching for a dog.

If it had the dog that would have been a very short painful day for me, considering the size they can reach by the end of summer I had no interest in laying eyes on it.

I wouldn't want to encounter one of those even if I had a bazooka...

So where did you settle? I know it is a whole lot colder and harsher on the northern parts.

posted on Nov, 11 2023 @ 09:18 PM
link   

west of fairbanks up in the hills of the valley, -40s for a few weeks in the valley should be warmer where we are at.

Also this winter with el nino should be 5+ degrees warmer even before taking in our elevation.

On the prepper side, I am the opposite direction the masses will go if things go belly up.

just got to get used to its dark right now at 6 pm, each winter I have to adjust to it and remember to pop my vitamin D twice a day.
edit on 20Sat, 11 Nov 2023 21:20:26 -060020260909pmf by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2023 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Hope you make the most of it!

I did have a question, though. How viable is it to live out in the boonies in Alaska? Any way of reducing state costs by living off grid?

Alaska is my number two state to settle down in. The first is Montana. I'm a desert rat so I'm definitely a sucker for trees and green wilderness.

posted on Nov, 12 2023 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Walpurgisnacht

Yea depending on your starting capital, the right property can easily be self-sufficient as long as your not to tied to all the electronic doodads.

Biggest problem is most of those properties that already have the infrastructure are kept in families and not for sale so you would have to build from scratch and need a good bit of money to get solar up and running, wood stoves are terribly expensive (and a necessity) 3,700 new, 2 cords of dried wood delivered are going to cost me 1k, heating oil right now runs 3.75 a gallon.

green house would have to be built so you can plant early spring to through most of fall, snow blower, top tier chain saw, maul or an automatic wood splitter, roof rake if your roof doesnt have enough of a slope, for off grid would also have to figure out how to keep your engine from freezing, and well pump from freezing without electricity.

There is a family farm not to far from me that has managed to stay mostly off the grid so it is doable, I just dont know the ins and outs.

I wanted to go out further but the wife would have divorced me, she complains about the 40 min drive to work as it is.

posted on Nov, 12 2023 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

west of fairbanks up in the hills of the valley, -40s for a few weeks in the valley should be warmer where we are at.

Wow, props to you, I have an inkling of what it must be like from my short stint at Kodiak, but that takes serious commitment.

posted on Nov, 12 2023 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Funny thing, I have 3 vertebrae shot in my lower back, -40s doesnt hurt at all.

Vist family in florida when its +30 to 50 and humid and I am crippled.

Normal winter our snow is almost like dust its so dry, this winter (f U el nino) moister so running through my ibprofen.

posted on Nov, 16 2023 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I was born in Fairbanks, the army base. Parents lived in Delta Junction.

I swear, if I have to sell a kidney, I am at least going to see it again before I die.

We moved when I was over a year old.

I've seen pics, but that is it.

Need to get more info, before mom can't remember anymore.

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 04:20 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 18 2023 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Worst case its worth a visit, havent been down to delta but got a buddy that lives down there and he loves it.

Big russian community, interesting folks but great friends once your in.

Only hard part is if your trying to see the aurora, my old butt has trouble staying up to 3 am so I have issues catching the good show, tonight is a good example KP of 5 and 100% cloud cover but it will break around 2-5 am.

join