It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laughing My Ass Off

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2023 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: FullHeathen

There's a sutra not sure which yanna but its like a survey that asks all the people assembled there that could arrive there which sense did they find superior...

It's sort of comical because for some it would have been by the eye consciousness and making the eye consciousness void nose consciousness and making the nose consciousness void etc(the other sense consciousnesses and their senses.

Why do I say comical? Even though one may achieve full jhana using the eye all the way to eight, the same can be done by the ear etc... please note that I do not call jhana jhana I call it void in keeping with Chan it the first practice I used to enter jhana the hau tao. After jumping all over the place for no real reason I looked to the bare bones and saw Theravada just practiced jhana and it is said that that is enough.

As far as the eight? Thats accomplished through the precept observances... However arriving with all the senses up to and beyond the hard to pass 7th which is where I would place what is called the inidian insertion of hinduism of the immeasurable which is that idea of merit making etc for future lives to come instead of bringing the entire mass to an end in nirodha.

It may or may not be fortunate or fortuitous that I use some Buddhist terms... so just go ahead and send me to hell for it because I have no other way to explain such things without those conceptual terms. I've noticed no matter where I have had open up in the bhavana be it hells or heavens impermanence is the real ruler not a god not a mara etc.

posted on Nov, 8 2023 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: crowf00t

impermanence is the real ruler not a god not a mara etc.

Seems acceptable. I accept that.

The idea of an omnipotent, omniscient, eternal being as a creator is an abstract idea existing within a temporary mind. It vanishes with that mind when the time comes.

My gods are all temporary. They existed before I came to be. They will exist after my awareness has ceased. That does not make them permanent, only longer lasting than I am. And some gods I make up. They don't last very long at all.

===========
a note on that last post.

There were a few points in there where I could have written "That's like the time I ..." or "Yes, this one time I ..."

But that would have been me writing about me, and not about you at all. How would I know if I had an experience like you did? I couldn't. It would be claiming to know what I do not know.

I thought my answer was quite clever.

edit on 8-11-2023 by FullHeathen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2023 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: FullHeathen

The last words of Gautama to Rahula leaded out as; Consider the elements.

Einsteins theory failed

Consider the thought experiment.

I know Eastern Asians love the paradox and such thought experiments of Westerners have those as a scientific basis.

Many say while treading the deer path; The Buddha already has a 8 lane super highway going through it...

<< 4  5  6   >>

join