It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World renowned advocates demand governments end free-speech crackdowns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2023 @ 07:36 PM
link   
World renowned advocates demand governments end free-speech crackdowns

Governments, NGOs, and social media companies are using “disinformation” as an excuse to throttle free speech in violation of the UN’s Universal Declaration of Human Rights, a group of over 130 academics, activists, journalists, and free speech advocates have warned in an open letter.

Published on Wednesday, the ‘Westminster Declaration’was signed by journalists Matt Taibbi, Glen Greenwald, and Julian Assange; psychologists Steven Pinker and Jordan Peterson; and actors Tim Robbins and John Cleese, among more than 100 other luminaries. 

“Coming from the left, right, and center, we are united by our commitment to universal human rights and freedom of speech, and we are all deeply concerned about attempts to label protected speech as ‘misinformation,’ ‘disinformation,’ and other ill-defined terms,” 

“We do not want our children to grow up in a world where they live in fear of speaking their minds,” the signatories wrote. “We want them to grow up in a world where their ideas can be expressed, explored and debated openly – a world that the founders of our democracies envisioned when they enshrined free speech into our laws and constitutions.”

The letter urged governments and tech companies to comply with Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which states that “everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.”

In conclusion, the letter also called on the general public to “build an atmosphere of free speech from the ground up by rejecting the climate of intolerance that encourages self-censorship.”

Censorship, disinformation, misinformation, and influence campaigns have existed for a long time now and have become an unavoidable part of our lives.

My concern is that the science and technology behind these operations is evolving at such a remarkable pace that it may threaten, weaken, or delude human rights.

Data collection is at an all time high and will continue to build.
Intelligent algorithms and artificial intelligence can process and analysis tremendous amounts data in a very short time, leading to developments in analytics, predictive programming, and customized influence operations.

The Shadowgate documentary covers a lot of these technological advances and how they are being used to influence your behavior.

Shadowgate Documentary

posted on Oct, 20 2023 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Meanwhile, over 3,000 celebrates, artists, etc. have signed a letter in support of Palestine.

posted on Oct, 20 2023 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Nugget2

OP must be an Anti-Semitarian as well then.

It's clear as day!

posted on Oct, 20 2023 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Indie1A

Interesting, because I was just reading Elon's pet peeve T&C changes to X.

So, Mashable has decided to dive in. Yesterday, we published the updates to X's privacy policy. And there were a lot. The new privacy policy inserts wording that says X can use data on the platform to train AI models, collect metadata for encrypted messages, and store data related to a user's biometric information.

mashable.com...

Why would I speak freely on his site?
edit on q000000571031America/Chicago5151America/Chicago10 by quintessentone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2023 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nugget2
Meanwhile, over 3,000 celebrates, artists, etc. have signed a letter in support of Palestine.

Did the letter advocate violence?
If it did, I believe that letter wouldn't be protected by the 1st amendment.
If it didn't, I believe it would.

posted on Oct, 20 2023 @ 08:03 PM
link   

This threads not about war . It’s about our freedom . Who cares about actors .

posted on Oct, 20 2023 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone2

So, Mashable has decided to dive in. Yesterday, we published the updates to X's privacy policy. And there were a lot. The new privacy policy inserts wording that says X can use data on the platform to train AI models, collect metadata for encrypted messages, and store data related to a user's biometric information.

mashable.com...

You don’t speak freely , you type your narrative that’s been given to you by Soros

posted on Oct, 20 2023 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thenails

mashable.com...

You don’t speak freely , you type your narrative that’s been given to you by Soros

Get help pronto.

posted on Oct, 20 2023 @ 08:08 PM
link   

A few months ago this thread would have rhymed well with the "Twitter-Files" or Russel Brand, but we're in a new age now. And it's a #ing moron.

posted on Oct, 20 2023 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Supreme Court just said OK for U.S. Government to continue asking for takedowns. They just invited a total fu*kup.
ATS first example.

posted on Oct, 20 2023 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Double Post
edit on 20-10-2023 by Indie1A because: Double Post

posted on Oct, 20 2023 @ 08:13 PM
link   

mashable.com...

Step 1: Collect Data
Step 2: ?
Step 3: Profit... and manipulate

Some of the advances in technology I been studying are truly mind blowing, and those that don't understand this stuff, will be at a disadvantage to those who do. Those wielding these technologies have the greatest advantage and are already making us of them.

My hope is that this technology will be able to uncover massive corruption and criminal rackets via "following the money". John Thaler seemed to have made a bunch of progress in the field. Thaler Project

Jovan Hutton Pulitzer used AI to analyze millions of ballots as part of a forensic audit.

Powerful tools often have the power to do great good or great harm. I'm hopeful that advanced technology will be used for the greater good, but my experience tells me that it won't.

edit on 20-10-2023 by Indie1A because: Added information

posted on Oct, 20 2023 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indie1A

mashable.com...

Some of the advances in technology I been studying are truly mind blowing, and those that don't understand this stuff, will be at a disadvantage to those who do. Those wielding these technologies have the greatest advantage and are already making us of them.

2. Bombard users with targeted advertising.

posted on Oct, 20 2023 @ 08:37 PM
link   

mashable.com...

2. Bombard users with targeted advertising.

Which has been happening for a while now and is really only the tip of the iceberg.

edit on 20-10-2023 by Indie1A because: Spelling

posted on Oct, 20 2023 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Damn fine movement, here's hoping we can rectify the matter before it gets any more dystopian. International Health Regulations amendments in May 2024 is the next MASSIVE hurdle to overcome.

posted on Oct, 20 2023 @ 10:22 PM
link   

I thought it was about free speech and must have missed the part where it has to follow your criteria.

I'll leave you to it then.

posted on Oct, 20 2023 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I thought it was about free speech and must have missed the part where it has to follow your criteria.

Sorry it’s just an extremely important thread . There are tons of threads about Palestine and Israel .

posted on Oct, 20 2023 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Sorry it’s just an extremely important thread . There are tons of threads about Palestine and Israel .

Don't sweat it; I'm used to rudeness when people are filled with the importance of what they have to say and wish to control the dialog of others.
Have a great evening.

posted on Oct, 21 2023 @ 12:10 AM
link   

mashable.com...

My hope is that this technology will be able to uncover massive corruption and criminal rackets via "following the money". John Thaler seemed to have made a bunch of progress in the field. Thaler Project

Jovan Hutton Pulitzer used AI to analyze millions of ballots as part of a forensic audit.

Powerful tools often have the power to do great good or great harm. I'm hopeful that advanced technology will be used for the greater good, but my experience tells me that it won't.

I couldn't help it

Southpark underware gnomes
edit on 21-10-2023 by Cre8chaos79 because: Trying to make it work

new topics

top topics

join