It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scotty on why electric cars are a scam.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 06:08 AM
link   
This was inevitable.

People thinking they are sticking it to the petroleum companies, going all electric.

Well now electric companies are charging more dollars for charging electric cars.

In some instances, it cost more to drive the same distance in a petrol car.

As Scotty stated, if a fast charger is broken, of course the closest one elsewhere will Jack up prices, due to demand.

Such a great business model like Uber and their surge pricing.

Things look good until the shareholders get greedy.

m.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: robsmith

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Are you referring to musky?

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: robsmith

Are you referring to musky?

Just a little joke. I know the Scotty you're talking about isn't that one.

Electric cars are, in my opinion, next to useless unless you live in a city. They are crap for long distances. For instance, I drive from Ky to Texas and do it in about 12 hours. If I have to stop and get a full charge every 300 miles, it's gonna take me days to get there.
The technology is not up to par yet or the infrastructure. They never want to talk about how they're going to produce all that electricity to charge them.
My question to all those climate change folks is : How much coal, oil and natural gas will we need to produce the extra energy, on top of what we already use, to power those dream cars ?

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Scotty has been into the Klingon Sauce lately

Wallbox EV Home Charger

US electric-vehicle sales hit record high, Tesla loses market share, report says

EV Sales Hit Record High

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Electric are superior in every way to ICE except for long range use... and maybe exhaust noise. I say this as someone who owns a big loud v8 and loves ICE vehicles.

Electric vehicles are not more green in total though but they do eliminate pollution at the local level better.

The ideal use case for electric right now is metro area usage for commuting where range is not an issue. 90 something percent of drivers don't drive more than 50 miles per day which is well below the typical range for a full electric car.

Obviously if you frequently drive long distances (say more than 200 miles) then electric may not be a good fit.

We are a long ways off from electric replacing semi-trucks or tow vehicles. However, the typical car urban car driver would be better off with electric all things considered.

I don't support govt mandates though.  

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I'd counter and say that they're only superior within metro commutes.

The overall carbon imprint over the lifespan of both Electric and ICE (with the exception of Ford engines that explode after 60k miles) evens out; but then you have to look at charging speeds and costs, varying voltage and usage times affecting prices, then the speed and cost of ICE, the cost of battery replacement, etc.

Not to mention the long range, towing, reliability in harsh weather (snow and traffic jams, primarily) battery degradation - sorry, if my 8 month old Pixel is only holding a 90% charge, those EV's aren't doing much better lol - There's a lot of factors that weigh heavily in favor of ICE vehicles unless you're in the city or a major urban setting (and maintain your vehicle and pay mind to your charging and battery "top-off" frequency)

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 01:08 PM
link   

You could be correct as far as city driving goes. In my opinion, if I can charge an EV as quickly as I can fill with gasoline, I'd support the concept. However, I am in my late 60s and have X number of minutes to live and I choose not to stand around any longer than I need to because I gots stuff to do before I leave.

Editorial opinion: Someone should print "I support child labor in Lithium mines" to put on EVs sort of like those "I did that" stickers on gas pumps.

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 03:10 PM
link   
A bicycle would be superior to EVs in every instance in an urban environment where an electric would be superior to ICE, and for $99,000 less. That's why in countries where populations are very poor and individuals are forced to pay the real cost for whichever energy type they use, bikes and ICE scooters are the vast majority of urban transport. The market works. reply to: Edumakated

edit on 16-10-2023 by SentientBunnySuit because: spelling is hrd

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: billxam

You could be correct as far as city driving goes. In my opinion, if I can charge an EV as quickly as I can fill with gasoline, I'd support the concept. However, I am in my late 60s and have X number of minutes to live and I choose not to stand around any longer than I need to because I gots stuff to do before I leave.

Editorial opinion: Someone should print "I support child labor in Lithium mines" to put on EVs sort of like those "I did that" stickers on gas pumps.

There is no need to charge an electric vehicle fast because typically an EV is always full. EVs are typically charged at home or work. Generally, you would not be "filling up" an EV randomly on the road like you would an ICE vehicle.

It is a different mindset. You don't drive an EV till empty like you do an ICE car. In best use case, an EV would have say 250 miles of range. Typical person drives maybe 50 miles a day at best. Every night (or at work), they plug in the car and it is fully charged. An EV is rarely leaving home not fully charged.

Sure, if you are taking a long road trip you might need to stop to recharge. As the infrastructure improves, that shouldn't' be a big deal either. You plan your drive an stop at a Cracker Barrell or whatever for lunch. Charge and get back on the road. Most EVs can fully charge in about 30 minutes IIRC.

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: dothedew

My EV lost zero % charge standing around exactly seven weeks and five days in sub freezing point weather. You can not compare your smartphone battery to a EV battery. They might both use lithium but they are not the same.

I love ICE and would sign Edumakated's post as he points out the reality I experience, driving EV daily since more than two years. Among that was a more rural home before we moved to the city for my new job and I also drove long distances that exceeded the battery charge. My EV charges in 18 minutes reliable from 20% to 80%, that is the envelope the battery should be used (you also should not drive your tank empty or lower than 10% in an ICE). And it takes me +300 miles.

I disagree with only metro commutes as well as traffic jams being a problem, out of experience. Also cold is less noteable. We're not in 2012 all driving Tesla, technology evolved.

I hint since over a year that a new battery system is comming to the market, charges in 6 minutes 300+ miles. What do people want more?

Yes it's not yet reliable as ICE, yes it's not more green, yes there is lithium needed, that somewhere, also children produce. And so are your shoes, your clothes, the cloth for the clothes, your jeans and many other things that even might be manufactured in your own country, yet the cloth was still handled by children.

And I see no one complaining about that child labor, because shoes and every day commodities made by child slaves seems to be more okay than the emotional EV....

And most of those that complain still use smartphones, so there's your child work. If the argument that EV is more childwork so it is a bigger reason to raise someones pulse and be histrionic, I deem that one a bit hypocritic...

edit on 16.10.2023 by TDDAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Exactly this. Driving like 250 miles in one stretch is just grinding down miles and at some point being un-concentrated and a danger to others.

Reality is though, you should not charge the EV every day and keep it on standby charging... not good. It's better to cycle them. But that can be done intelligent and with a bit different mindset, like you just said.

If someone equates freedom by spontaneous deciding to drive 500 miles for fun NOW, then that's okay for me. I see all the hate towards EV, that I can partly understand because people confuse their annoyance about politics wanting to force them and focus that onto the vehicle itself, instead towards the politicians. Because EV's don't talk back.

So many arguments I read and also here in this thread was said exact the same about the ICE by horse people. "The infrastructure isn't there" No #! Gas stations were not a thing either when the car slowly made it's way into common life, they had to be built too. Same goes for range, reliability, resource waste etc.

People have no clue what they talk about mostly in such discussions. They just use the tiny glimpse about the thing they grew up with and equate it to a technology that is only now being extensively researched and developed.
edit on 16.10.2023 by TDDAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Electric cars are about CONTROL. The whole limited distance-thing extends nicely with the 15-minute city agenda. The high price also extends nicely towards the agenda for a greater segment of a given population not being able to afford it, hence no vehicle. Soon enough this will all be obvious. And it will all tie into the growing bubble of social credit.

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Electric are superior in every way to ICE except for long range

lol
ok dude
They are garbage meme vehicles with incredibly exaggerated ranges and pissed off buyers.
I know some.
They have overpriced powerplants(batteries) that are absolutely unstable and volatile.
The battery lives suck and quickly lose posted range/charge capacity.
The range is extremely effected by hills and other power needs like ac and heater.
They burst into a raging inferno when humidity or water get to the packs..see Florida, they had to designate giant fields to park all the Teslas far enough apart as to not chain react because so many were spontaneously combusting.
They are like an overpriced meme electric iphone golf cart that burns your family alive.
The worst part is even if you buy the really fast one, you'll still have to have that awkward "coming out" dinner with your parents.

edit on 10 by Mandroid7 because: sp

posted on Oct, 17 2023 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Sorry mate, I was half asleep when I responded.

Agreed electric are good as grocery getters, though really are useless.

Occasionally we do 300 to 400 kilometre trips in a Toyota hybrid, it’s great in the city due to regenerate braking, though on the highway it’s a little heavier in petrol. Though at least I don’t have to stress on finding a charger and waiting for a long time to charge.

Just want to charger up on Petrol get a bite, rest break 20 minutes on the road again.

Here in Victoria Australia there is only one coal fired power station left, they are predicting mass brown and blackouts this summer.

The state government is pushing electricity cars.

Why would any only go electric when there is no power security in this state.

posted on Oct, 17 2023 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

Agreed though he is a cool guy. Tells it how it is though.

posted on Oct, 17 2023 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Scotty is extreme cool. Lets get some dilithium crystals

Dilithium Crystals

Aye

new topics

top topics

join