It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar pool pump questions

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2023 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Back in the 70's my grandparents had a pool installed and my grandfather rigged up a solar heating system that worked amazingly well. He was a train engineer, but he fixed furnaces for people around town in his spare time. He was always tinkering like that. His solution was to run the water through a hose (not the garden kind- something larger) and into copper boxes on the roof. I'm not sure what he used to actually pump the water through the hose, but we never had a problem with the pool water being too cold.

He also heated our entire house with a wood burning furnace in the basement that pumped hot air into the duct work. The wall next to my bed had one of the major ducts running through it and there were always little footprints on the wall from me putting my feet on it while I was sleeping.

posted on Oct, 27 2023 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude
In your situation, switching to a solar pump system for your 15 x 30 above-ground pool is a great idea. It can help reduce energy costs and your carbon footprint. However, the specific setup you'll need depends on a few factors. Here are some considerations to help you make an informed decision:

1. **Pool Volume and Water Circulation:** You mentioned that your pool holds about 11,000 gallons of water. The size of the solar pump system you need should be capable of circulating the entire pool's water volume in a reasonable time frame. A common recommendation is to cycle the pool's water at least once every 6 hours.

2. **Sunlight Availability:** The amount of sunlight your location receives will affect the efficiency of your solar pump. If you live in a sunny region, you can consider a smaller system. In areas with less sun, you might need a larger system to compensate for reduced energy production.

3. **Pump Size and Type:** The size of the solar pump (measured in watts or horsepower) is crucial. For a 15 x 30 pool, you may need a solar pump with a capacity suitable for your pool size. You mentioned a 1.5hp pump; you should find a solar pump with a similar or slightly higher capacity to ensure adequate water circulation.

4. **Solar Panel Size:** To power your pump 24x7 or whenever you desire, you'll need a sufficient number of solar panels. The panels should be placed on a rooftop or other suitable location with good sun exposure. The size of the panels will depend on the pump's power requirements and how often you want it to run. Solar panels are typically rated in watts, so you'll need to match the pump's power needs to the panel's output.

5. **Battery Storage:** To run the pump at night or on cloudy days, you may consider incorporating a battery storage system. This will store excess energy generated during sunny periods for use when the sun isn't shining.

6. **System Cost:** Consider your budget for this project. Solar pump systems can vary in cost, so determine how much you are willing to invest.

To provide a more specific recommendation, you should consult with a professional in the solar energy industry. They can assess your location, your pool's specific needs, and design a system tailored to your requirements. Additionally, they can advise you on the best solar pump brands and models available. Be sure to get multiple quotes to compare options and prices.

If you found a specific system that you are considering, provide the details, and the forum members can give you more specific feedback.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: VelvetElvis

That sounds like an amazing solar heating system that your grandfather built!

<< 1  2   >>

join