It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another bad night sleep

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I'm just wondering, as I can't be the only who sleeps bad at times.

Sometimes I'm hyperfocused on every slight 'bump' in my mattress, or how the side I'm sleeping on is no longer comfortable , I switch to the other side of the mattress and it feels too hard, back to the softer side but it feels to soft, with pillow feels comfortable, suddenly I hate the pillow , trying without, feels hard again under my head after a while , back trying to sleep with a pillow , this is no good , there's that bump in the mattress again, and on and on and on!
I must have tried to fall asleep for 4-5 hours, when I finally felll asleep my sh*tty selfish neighbour started his LOUD and I mean LOUD motorcycle at 6.30 am

Is it that I need a new mattress? It's about 5 years old, so that's not that old I think.
Any suggestions?

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ancientlight

sounds like anxiety to me, ancientlight. You're right: five years isn't that old for a mattress. Make sure you're flipping it regularly, though!

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: rukia

sounds like anxiety to me, ancientlight. You're right: five years isn't that old for a mattress. Make sure you're flipping it regularly, though!
Could very well be anxiety . My mattress is non-flippable (from what I remember looking at it last time), so that's not an option.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Sounds more like stress/anxiety.

Practicing good sleep hygiene (nothing to do with cleanliness) can help which might involve getting a new mattress, there's loads of ways to de-stress too and it depends on the person, even the reasons for their stress. Generally practicing mindfulness techniques, exercise, a good structured diet and a bit social activity is the way forward but we're all different.

Sometimes these things stem from genetics, they can be from chemicals or even psychological issues. Non of that really matters when it comes to stress because either way the ways of dealing with it will always be a present thing, a now thing. Hypersensitivity isn't fun.

So yeah... probably not the mattress or the neighbour, these are just things you're reacting to.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Sorry to hear about your sleeping problems, ancientlight. I only sleep about 3 hours and just about anywhere I lay my head. However, it’s much more difficult in bed… I sleep better in a reclinable La-Z-Boy style chair; have done for circa 5 years.

As rukia said, perhaps anxiety is the problem… in part, it is with me. Not being able to rest only heightens the worry and anxiety, it’s a catch-22 problem.

I’ve never resorted to pharmaceuticals to aid my sleep, but both my wife and I react well to chamomile tea (usually two bags for double strength).

Otherwise, now that autumn has arrived, some hot milk with honey or something stronger (whiskey in my case), usually lulls me to sleep, notwithstanding all the stress I can’t shake off.

Best of luck.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Valerian can make a difference i used it a bit when i had sleeping issues , earplugs helped a lot for me aswell to be able to be in a soundless "bubble" wich helped me a lot to fall asleep.
edit on 4-10-2023 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 08:55 AM
link   

A good workout and healthy diet. I had trouble sleeping for a few years when I stopped training, similar to yourself. Spent all night tossing and turning, getting up to pee etc.

Started training after work for an hour every night and going boxing gym twice a week. Also cut out pretty much all coffee, sugar, processed food and added salt from my diet. Now I’m asleep within minutes of head hitting the pillow and get a good 8 hours undisturbed every night. I honestly feel 10 years younger, can’t remember last time I felt so refreshed and energetic.

The first few weeks of this regime I was burst, had to be really disciplined and fight through the pain, I try to disconnect from reality to push out a few extra reps or that extra mile on a run. After a month I actually look forward to it and enjoy the burn.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Avoid eating foods in any quantity containing tyramine chemistry at least two hours before going to sleep and it may help. Always remember, if you have real anxiety, it creates or releases histamines into the blood stream...a fight or flight response....and that can increase these levals since histamine is one of the tyramines. But it sounds in your post that your stress or anxiety was not realized before hitting the sack, so I would focus on diet previous to going to sleep. I know this and have been keeping track for a few years and have to admit, it is hard to eliminate those foods from the diet before going to sleep, but hindsight is much better than foresight, pizzas are my downfall, so are some other aged foods. Good chedder cheese and pepperoni on crackers is one of my downfalls, the cheap stuff is not as bad, but does not taste nearly as good.

Funny how you blow things off even you know there is a problem...Desire trumps common sense sometimes.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ancientlight Check out earthing/grounding. I started a few months ago and there is a lot of positive feedback regarding better sleeping as well as many other health restoring benefits. I benefit from the anti inflammatory results so much that I have reduced my turmeric/curcumin intake to 1/2.
A good place to start would be here: www.earthing.com...
(I'm not sure yet if I inserted the link correctly, first time).
Clint Ober is the man who "re-discovered" earth grounding and has brought a lot of science and information to the masses.
Good luck with your search for peaceful slumber!

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I know you aren't a fan of herbals and THC, CBD but Gaba knocks down the anxiety from just about everybody I know who has tried it. Melatonin works too but with both, you need to dial in your dosage. Gaba isn't a sleep medicine perse but it has a calming anxiety relief, my sister takes it for her anxiety when flying.

Black Seed Oil, helps me as does Ashwagandha below is a link to the Cleveland Clinic touting the properties.

Gaba
www.bustle.com...

Ashwagandha
health.clevelandclinic.org...

edit on 4-10-2023 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I bought a $15.00 sound machine years ago, and it's a lifesaver for any light sleeper or insomniac! It not only blocks out external noises, but my fretful thoughts as well.

I like the sound of ocean waves, but the 'sleep machine' has others, like thunderstorm, birds, etc.

Wishing you sweet dreams!

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grenade

A good workout and healthy diet. I had trouble sleeping for a few years when I stopped training, similar to yourself. Spent all night tossing and turning, getting up to pee etc.

Started training after work for an hour every night and going boxing gym twice a week. Also cut out pretty much all coffee, sugar, processed food and added salt from my diet. Now I’m asleep within minutes of head hitting the pillow and get a good 8 hours undisturbed every night. I honestly feel 10 years younger, can’t remember last time I felt so refreshed and energetic.

The first few weeks of this regime I was burst, had to be really disciplined and fight through the pain, I try to disconnect from reality to push out a few extra reps or that extra mile on a run. After a month I actually look forward to it and enjoy the burn.

That would make a huge difference I'm sure. I stopped running when I was 33 weeks pregnant with my son. He's now 12
Living in Florida , running in the heat with a newborn in a stroller proved a challenge. I was soon a single mom and maintaing an exercise program while finding willing babysitters I trusted soon ruined my running. I have tried on and off over the years , but it has never returned to where it was. I loved running, loved the runner's high, I miss all that.

I will see if I can be serious about this again , and place it before other tasks. I could involve my son as he needs more exercise as well.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
I know you aren't a fan of herbals and THC, CBD but Gaba knocks down the anxiety from just about everybody I know who has tried it. Melatonin works too but with both, you need to dial in your dosage. Gaba isn't a sleep medicine perse but it has a calming anxiety relief, my sister takes it for her anxiety when flying.

Black Seed Oil, helps me as does Ashwagandha below is a link to the Cleveland Clinic touting the properties.

Gaba
www.bustle.com...

Ashwagandha

I was looking at herbal gummies on Amazon, to help me sleep , I'm not opposed to it at all. You're wrong

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: ancientlight

originally posted by: putnam6

Gaba
www.bustle.com...

Ashwagandha

I was looking at herbal gummies on Amazon, to help me sleep , I'm not opposed to it at all. You're wrong

Apologies, I've had this conversation often on here, Im obviously confusing you with someone else.

LOOK into water-soluble CBD, THC or Delta 8, but you build up a tolerance over time, those first few months though totally relaxing and I slept great.

also, consider researching your sleep rhythm

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Definitely.

My son has always been really shy, within weeks of joining an MMA gym and taking BJJ classes he came out of his shell and now has loads of friends he met there. Given him so much confidence and belief in himself, then there’s the health benefits. Plus we now have a common interest other than PlayStation and chess.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
I bought a $15.00 sound machine years ago, and it's a lifesaver for any light sleeper or insomniac! It not only blocks out external noises, but my fretful thoughts as well.

I like the sound of ocean waves, but the 'sleep machine' has others, like thunderstorm, birds, etc.

Wishing you sweet dreams!

Yes... sound machine with the subliminal music and rotating colors. Combined with a 50mg gummie...sweet dreams indeed!

Takes 1hr for the gummies to kick in...for immediate medicine, homemade tincture made with 451rum and gorilla glue.
edit on 4-10-2023 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Sorry for your sleeping woes.
Happens to me randomly but I rationalize it, If everyone else is sleeping (nighttime) then I'm awake cause there's something going on in the collective unconsciousness that I can skip. I can't nap during the day, but if I can't stay awake and have to go lay down, everyone else is going about their daily business then my brain is trying to clue me into something I NEED to know which is easier without all the nighttime jibber-jabber.

Looking at it this way cuts thru my annoyance over it.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

for immediate medicine, homemade tincture made with 451rum and gorilla glue.

Thankfully I no longer work nights while raising toddlers so I don't need to try such extreme measures.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 04:37 AM
link   

maybe try reading a book to settle down before bed? Otherwise if your mattress isn't able to be flipped, what about a super-thick memory foam topper? My mattress is fairly old and we flip it and also have a memory foam top and it's comfy.
edit on Thu, 05 Oct 2023 04:41:01 -0500000000k41am by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2023 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Theta waves and delta during the day

top topics

join