It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Newsom signs $20/hr fast food minimum wage

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DaRAGE
Are you guys serious? $20 x 40hrs = $800.
$800 x 52 weeks = $41,600 per year, before tax.

You guys make it sound like its a lot. It’s really not. What do you want them to make $7.50 an hour? Do you want them on welfare?

News flash they would be on welfare here in CA at least medical possibly SNAP. There is NO way they are affording housing if they are in an apartment complex. Most of these places are easily 1800 for a studio anymore and they want three times the rent. I mean you could find a place for 1500 In a sketch neighborhood with bars on the windows and encampment next to your balcony. I have a friend who pays for that. Her car has been broken into several times. She has been working hard for 20 years and barely makin over 26 bucks per hour. She has a husband and her kids both work but they live together in a 2 bedroom apartment. I have tried t find a place. Unfortunately single income take home after taxes ripped me a new one I bring home almost 4 bucks less per hour. Who knows some people may get lucky and get a grandma suit in someone's back yard for 1200 a month. Or a bedroom in someone's house that they put a hot plate in and called it a studio. I read an article where a person thought they would be able to save money in california making 20 an hour....... if you live with others yes. If you don't then chances are slim.

Not all places in ca are so pricy especially if you go way out if your comfort zone to commute. My job is always going to be a low paying job. Private pre k teachers have stressful jobs and many people burn out. It's nuts to think I could work in fast food and be finantially on par with fast food.... eh... I'm not long for this anyways... I'm moving up and out!

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stopstealingmycountry
a reply to: carewemust

If she works fast food do you want her to only be paid the federal minimum wage? Imagine if she has no other skills and a child and cannot afford to take a cut in hours to go to school let alone pay for it.
You should support this.

The cost of head start or any other state or federal funded program and the cost ( FAFSA grant) for a vocation at a jc is less than the years of welfare we would have to pony up than if she didn't go. And yes you can be a single parent, have 2 kids and go to school. It's not easy but it is doable. It might take 1 extra year and maybe you would have to enroll the child ( if they are school age), into a before and after program or have family pick them up sometimes... if you want to make it work, you will. There are also classes people can take at adult night school to give people some awesome skills.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Seems rather unlikely.

The stupidity of this Newsomeness will become evident very shortly...businesses will shutdown because they will not be able to afford help.

Even the smaller chains are doomed. Welcome to the wonderful world of McDonalds.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

[Strike comment, reverse the thought]

I don't think this part of the law has been mentioned yet, which is surprising.

www.nbcsandiego.com...

The new minimum wage for fast food workers will apply to restaurants with at least 60 locations nationwide, , with an exception for restaurants that make and sell their own bread, like Panera Bread.

So the local small chains, and all the iconic local fast food places are fine.

I think chains with 60 locations can make this work. Local chains may also get a boost from having lower comparitive costs.

"Cooking with Jesus" thread drift:

Even the 392 location, Christian-run Icon, In N' Out already paid 28% above national average. Those wages will likely go up to stay ahead of minimum knowing them.

Always paid those kids well to wear stupid paper 1950s hats.

www.glassdoor.com...

And because of the way they treat and pay their employees, with the consistency of their product, almost no wicked Californian cares what they print on their cups so long as the animal style 3x3 remains trapped in a time warp with their image. Even if a double-doubles go from 3.45 to 3.95 to 4.90 over time.
edit on 3-10-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

I missed that, thanks for pointing it out.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join