It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canine Lick Granuloma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2023 @ 10:52 AM
link   
One of my dogs developed a lick granuloma on top of her right front paw a few months ago. I took her to the vet and all he did was to give her a steroid shot that did absolutely nothing at all. Off and on over these past 3 months, I have tried treating it with an antibiotic salve that seemed to have no effect and also with hydrocortisone to control the itch and tendency to lick the affected area.

Over the course of the last 3 days, I have been applying an ice bag to it 3 times a day trying to get the swelling down, thinking that may stop the itch and licking. I look at it again this morning and even though much of the swelling is down, it is obvious from the raw appearance that the licking persists.

What the hell can I do to get this damned thing cleared up?

posted on Sep, 23 2023 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: LittleJake

I have no dog, and so I'm guessing she developed this because of consistent licking of her paw?
Maybe try applying some disgusting tasting ointment? Off course that won't help with the itch, unless it's an anti-itch ointment.

posted on Sep, 23 2023 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Cone of shame? They have soft ones that they can lay on. Maybe try it out when you are home and watch and see if the pup can get to it. If not then you can keep off when you are watching them but keep it on when you are away or asleep. Keep the ice packs and any ointment prescribed. Hope this helps some...
My dog had a few spots like that.... we cleared it up with daily cleanings and a doggie hydrocordozoe.
be.chewy.com...
edit on 9 23 2023 by cre8chaos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2023 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I had to google it is actually the first result but as starting point, right?
blog

One of these is Manuka honey that has antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial properties. Aloe Vera and chamomile are also options for treating lick granuloma.

pack it in one of those shoes, make it wide and comfortable but so they can't take it off.
Wash it regularly with cold water, before and after you take them out for a lot of relaxed doggy fun sports

Would be maybe sthg, but like i said, just read it never had the issue (thankfully)
But I am sure we can find sthg that works for your situation

posted on Sep, 23 2023 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

I had to google it is actually the first result but as starting point, right?
blog

Ooo yes the shew would be the least invasive way as long as they leave it alone. We had a cat that had a foot surgery and would not wear it so we had to use the elisabethan collar.

One of these is Manuka honey that has antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial properties. Aloe Vera and chamomile are also options for treating lick granuloma.

pack it in one of those shoes, make it wide and comfortable but so they can't take it off.
Wash it regularly with cold water, before and after you take them out for a lot of relaxed doggy fun sports

Would be maybe sthg, but like i said, just read it never had the issue (thankfully)
But I am sure we can find sthg that works for your situation

posted on Sep, 23 2023 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I have heard AMAZING results from this spray. People on pet forums rave about this stuff. I see they now have a gel as well.
And put a sock over her foot to keep it covered (but breathable) and she might leave it alone.
Yup, cone of shame for a few days.

vetericyn.com...

Just found this great link about causes of your dog's condition. vetericyn.com...
edit on 23-9-2023 by Whatchful because: added another link

posted on Sep, 23 2023 @ 11:52 AM
link   

You might also try a different dog food. Most of the more affordable dogfoods have corn, wheat and soy as basic ingredients. These are just 'fillers' and make for what's called a 'hot' dog food.

One of my past dogs was allergic to corn and was licking herself bald in spots; changing her food solved the problem.

Another common cause is fleas. I'm surprised haw many people who own pets don't know the signs and symptoms of a flea infestation.

As suggested, a cone will keep your dog from transferring all the mouth bacteria to the wound and give it a better chance of healing.

I'm known to get hives from certain medications, so I know first hand how miserable it can be to constantly itch. I hope you find the right combination for your poor doggie.

posted on Sep, 23 2023 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

I have read some of the same and ordered several items from Amazon just a few days ago. I passed on the honey because I knew she would just lick it off unless I did something to keep her from it. I may backtrack and order that as well.

posted on Sep, 23 2023 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Whatchful

Just ordered some.

posted on Sep, 23 2023 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

You might also try a different dog food.

Already have, twice. Put them on lamb and rice formula.

No fleas here.
edit on 23-9-2023 by LittleJake because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-9-2023 by LittleJake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2023 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Do you have cheatgrass/foxtails or other grass awns where you live? Hotspot usually clear up after 7 days of treatment, so maybe another cause?

It might be worth it to seek out a second opinion from a different vet. Good luck; I hope you can get to the bottom of it!

posted on Sep, 23 2023 @ 09:18 PM
link   
A great product for dogs feet that covers almost everything from torn pads, puntures, chemical reaction rashes (lawn sprays), to hotspot rashes(really good results) is povidone iodine.
Make sure it is specifically povidone, not just iodine.
Take warm water and drip it into it until it reaches a tea color.
Dilution is required, or it is toxic.
A nice light tea color is perfect.
It absolutely nukes any germs, heals rashes etc.
Awesome results.
Put mix into a bowl and have them stand in it.
You can do a horse farrier move and bend the good leg so the bad one stays in the bowl, while holding around its chest to keep in place.
In your case I'd do the iodine bath, dry, then put non pain killer ointment, then a breathable gauze w breathable tape securing it, tape above and below acual wound so it breathes still.
If your dog listens well and won't munch it, cool, if not cone of shame.
Good luck

posted on Sep, 23 2023 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: cre8chaos
Cone of shame? They have soft ones that they can lay on. Maybe try it out when you are home and watch and see if the pup can get to it. If not then you can keep off when you are watching them but keep it on when you are away or asleep. Keep the ice packs and any ointment prescribed. Hope this helps some...
My dog had a few spots like that.... we cleared it up with daily cleanings and a doggie hydrocordozoe.
be.chewy.com...

And for dog's sake, don't leave him out in a rainstorm.

top topics

join