It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The More things Change The More They stay the Same

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2023 @ 09:23 AM
link   
If you are looking for something absolutely interesting to read…

So I was watching this HBO series called Warrior. It’s about the Chinese in California and their scuffles with the settlers there before the turn of the century. Some of it is historically based, some not so much. I wanted to read more into it and came across this book. Neat show, lots of fighting, but not super deep, so I wanted to read more on it.
I stumbled across this rabbit hole of a book…

It’s a Chinese mans diary of traveling the world. How entertaining could that be? That’s what I thought, but every time I read a historic diary I’m surprised by what I find. This is no exception. I didn’t think much could top Mary Chestnut’s diary of the Civil war, but this might do so.

babel.hathitrust.org...

A Journey to the East by Li GUI

I skipped all the introduction parts and got into the meat. A big part of the diary takes place in 1876 at the World’s fair in Pennsylvania.
Once you start reading you will be sucked in and will travel back in time, no joke.

I think what makes this diary so effective is that Mr. Gui is a foreigner visiting and sharing what he is seeing and his experience in such detail, you as the reader can absolutely travel back with him. Some of topics are no different than what we are dealing with today, woman’s rights, pensions, copyright, guns, growth, and so much more. It is interesting reading the opinions of a person from that time. I don’t want to spoil too much so just give it a go.

One thing that does concern me… This diary has been digitized… which my skeptical mind always wonders what have they scrubbed.
Is it still worth reading? 100000% I haven’t finished it, but will tonight. The more I read, the more questions I have.

Seriously, if you have some free time, grab a coffee or tea, sink in your favorite chair and get ready to go on an adventure. Thank me later!

edit on 18-9-2023 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2023 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

thanks! interesting! AI says:

Li Gui was a Chinese scholar and diplomat who lived from 1842 to 1903. He is known for his book "A Journey to the East," which is a record of his trip around the world in 1876. The book is considered China's first officially sanctioned eyewitness account of people and places around the world. It is divided into four books, with the first book describing his journey from China to the United States, the second book describing his travels in the United States, the third book describing his travels in Europe, and the fourth book describing his travels in Asia. The book covers a wide range of topics, including politics, economics, culture, and technology, and provides a unique perspective on the world in the late 19th century.

posted on Sep, 18 2023 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: malte85

A small excerpt of one of the exhibits:

"There was an envelope machine, very unusual, that combined the stationery and glue and folded it entirely within a rotating mechanism with incomparable speed. Every hour it can make several thousand envelopes and requires only one female worker nearby to count, wrap, and box them."

posted on Sep, 18 2023 @ 04:22 PM
link   
What a cool concept for a book! Thanks for sharing

top topics

join