It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newly discovered ancient creature may have been the heaviest animal ever

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2023 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: AlienBorg

600 tons is a lot AlienBorg, even for an ocean-going mammal it's interesting as i said.

edit on 11-9-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 10:12 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Seeing how my comment was removed for daring to joke before making a legit' comment, I'll rephrase it???

Because this was such a large creature, do you think it was more of a grazer living in shallower water. As soon as I saw the picture of its probable look I instantly thought of a giant manatee.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage

Seeing how my comment was removed for daring to joke before making a legit' comment, I'll rephrase it???

Because this was such a large creature, do you think it was more of a grazer living in shallower water. As soon as I saw the picture of its probable look I instantly thought of a giant manatee.

Not possible for whales to be herbivores. This mammal consumes other animals and it's a carnivore. Especially for a creature of 300+ tonnes that had by definition to consume enormous amounts of food to sustain itself. Living in shallow waters probably gave it some good advantages as a lot of fish and other sea creatures live in shallow waters.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlienBorg

originally posted by: Kurokage

Not possible for whales to be herbivores. This mammal consumes other animals and it's a carnivore. Especially for a creature of 300+ tonnes that had by definition to consume enormous amounts of food to sustain itself. Living in shallow waters probably gave it some good advantages as a lot of fish and other sea creatures live in shallow waters.

I did read that some early whales could have been more of an omnivore that developed into carnivores but some such as Pakicetus had long skulls and large teeth that could be used for eating meat and looked more crocodilian.

The most ancient Cetaceans were in fact land creatures in the region that is present-day Pakistan. They eventually evolved into swimming creatures with legs who could spend time on land or in water. They also developed from herbivores to the fearsome carnivore that is the Anubis whale.

en.wikipedia.org...

A very interesting subject.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 04:36 PM
link   
That’s cool

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join