It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four "Exceptionally Well Preserved" 1,900-year-old Roman Swords Discovered in the Judean Desert

page: 1

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2023 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Seems it's a good year for finding ancient swords as following incredibly well preserved 14th century B.C Bronze age Sword discovered in Germany in June Israeli archaeologists searching a barely accessible cave in the Judean Desert have discovered 4 well preserved Roman swords dating back to nearly 2,000 years ago , theory is they were taken in battle , likely by The People's Front of Judea or less likely the splitters of the Judean People's Front but whoever took them they were well hidden for later retrieval , after waiting 1,900 years they finally been collected.

We will try to pinpoint the historical event that led to the caching of these weapons in the cave and determine whether it was at the time of the Bar Kokhba Revolt in 132–135 CE.”
Following the discovery of the swords, an archaeological excavation was undertaken in the cave by the Israel Antiquities Authority, directed by Eitan Klein, Oriya Amichay, Hagay Hamer, and Amir Ganor.

The cave was excavated in its entirety, and artifacts dating to the Chalcolithic period (c. 6,000 years ago) and the Roman period (c. 2,000 years ago) were uncovered. At the entrance to the cave, a Bar-Kokhba bronze coin from the time of the Revolt was found, possibly pointing to the time when the cave served for concealing the weapons.

Video of the discovery of the swords filmed by the Israel Antiquities Authority.

posted on Sep, 6 2023 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Cool. I love historical stuff. I always wonder about the people who handled them way back when. It's sort of a connection to the past.

posted on Sep, 6 2023 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I got a theory, they were taken from the dead and hidden as to obfuscate the death of romans in the region.

posted on Sep, 6 2023 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I believe it is more likely from the Judean People’s Popular Front

posted on Sep, 6 2023 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Love the addition of Monty Python humor!

Kudus! XD

posted on Sep, 6 2023 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Hes not the Messiah,hes just a very naughty boy...

posted on Sep, 6 2023 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing brother! I love learning about these ancient hordes of weapons!

posted on Sep, 6 2023 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Awesome! Thanks for posting!

The Romans had some cool weaponry.

I’ve had my eye on this Extrema Ratio Pugio which is modelled after the Roman dagger.

extremaratio.com...

But my god, look at the price!

Back when I was a kid in England my grandad donated the hilt of a Roman sword that his dad found to a museum.

Nothing like those in your post though, thems beautiful!

posted on Sep, 6 2023 @ 07:10 PM
link   
That knife looks like a good way to cut your hands up whilst getting stabby.

a reply to: NorthOfStuffx2

posted on Sep, 6 2023 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Dalamax

Ya, even looking at the picture that Gortex posted it looks like the Romans weren’t fans of cross-guards on their edged weapons.

posted on Sep, 7 2023 @ 12:04 AM
link   
She’s pretty. Pretty and stabby.

posted on Sep, 7 2023 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman I'm inclined to agree with you; among the Roman legionaries, to be garrisoned in the Judean provinces was actually considered to be a punishment since the tribes in the area were constantly warring with one another in generational squabbles and whenever those soldiers tried to mediate and restore order they were attacked from both sides... often from an ambush.

posted on Sep, 7 2023 @ 11:30 AM
link   

They were much cheaper back in the day when manufactured for the Roman Army at the Gladius Maximus Company plant near Pompei

posted on Sep, 7 2023 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Just imagine, being seen with one or trying to sell it, you'd get busted. You cant blame the dude who took them though after the skirmish

posted on Sep, 7 2023 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Thanks for posting! Interesting find. How heavy would those swords be?

posted on Sep, 7 2023 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: medic545

I believe Roman swords weighed about 2 pounds.

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Let Lizzo hold it on stage while she shakes her rump like she did with that crystalline flute. Going forward, she should hold all newly discovered rare artifacts on stage while twerking

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Ahhh the Wromans .... bigus dickus.... hahahaha

All the best

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Great post and vid Gortex thanks for posting
edit on 000000f20232023Fri, 08 Sep 2023 08:23:05 -0500b08000000930 by ufoorbhunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 02:00 PM
link   
He has a wife you know!

new topics

top topics

join