It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The meaning of the Burning Man

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Solvedit

If the ancient Babylonians wouldn't dream of trying to attract evil spirits or stolen souls, why would they do "everything to avoid souls 'hanging around' "?

This is messed up.

Did Greek occupied Babylon have burning man? Give us a reference?

Are burning man attendees today worshipping Ishtar or Greek closest equivalent? references.
edit on 4-9-2023 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

It depends on the god you'd adress, i guess?
some gods expect you to give up yourself. Like the big G dude

If people only know that kind of god they will have a hard time understanding the variety of approaches there are within the pantheon....

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Whatever it is, it seems to be of the occult.

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 05:16 AM
link   
It's a bunch of hippies in the desert after a small group of inebriated people burnt a pyre.

Y'all are really reading too far into this.

ETA: That said, they do create a nice community for themselves. They're artwork is quite a spectacular event.
edit on 5-9-2023 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: pthenaWhat does this have to do with Greece?

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Because the whole story of temple prostitution comes from Herodotus (Greek "Father of History" 484-425bc). His description of West v East is rather biased. Sure I misspoke, writing Greek Occupied Babylon. It was Persian Occupied Babylon.

I don't know how much experience Herodotus may have had with prostitutes, temples, or goddesses. I doubt his bone fides
when it comes to describing such things.

For one thing he says Aphrodite, rather than Ishtar. Sure they both have Venus in common, but that does not make them synonymous. Ishtar could very well be a whole lot more than Aphrodite. But I don't know Ishtar. I'm not an expert.

Inana, though, the Sumerian and Akkadian; well, she would be like Athena, Aphrodite, Orpheus, and Artemus (by prophet's priestly marriage to Moon) all together in one personification.

I did post a link and excerpt on the first page of this thread.

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 01:33 PM
link   
We have a yearly ritual here in the land of enchantment much older than the burning man spectacle. The burning of Zozobra, old man gloom.

An excuse to party...not like we need one

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

Quite possible nonsense.
The Myth of Sacred ProstitutionThe “Liar’s school” is knocking on the door… This patchwork of opinions remains unquestioned and ends both on a statement that “Herodotos is complicated” and that “chapter 1.199… is a unique passage in a unique text”. Accordingly, this chapter is evaluated as “one of the very few instances where one might argue that Herodotos did in fact construct his data for the sake of effect” (p. 66).

What difference would it make to the present? People could still be drawing inspiration from it.
edit on 5-9-2023 by Solvedit because: clarity

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 06:54 PM
link   

"I thought Burning Man was just hippies pooping outside and doing drugs."
-DB, Boomer

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
no they're not.
They created a gathering of creative people burning the wicker man to have a prosperous year.
That's how sacrifices work: you try to get the favor of the gods.
not some masochistic death wish display to celebrate your demise.

If you want to steal the soul of someone you eat their heart. But very few people especially ancients would have wanted that, because it would have meant they get haunted for the rest of their life.
And it is a common theme of magic in the ancient Babylonian realm, up to the Mongols and the Celts that they did everything to avoid souls 'hanging around'

That is what magic used to be really about: banishing evil spirits.
How do you get evil spirits attached to you? being evil yourself.
Again: nobody made it the centre of their culture to accumulate souls seeking revenge.

Basic survival was a lot more prominent in the early days than it is now, like war between city states, or street robbers or intrigue and competition, there are a lot of ways you can get cursed and attract evil spirits, because survival used to be kill or die, often.

you are the one who is making it about what you want. I've said it before: it says a lot more about you than the organizers of Burning Man.
Everything you said so far was wrong...

Ignore for a moment that you probably don't deserve the historical precision you insinuate you have.

Why do you talk as if rock stars and artists would insist on doctrinal precision and faithfulness to orthodoxy to the religions of ancient empires?

Would they hire scholars to dive into ancient scrolls to make sure their beliefs were doctrinally correct?
edit on 5-9-2023 by Solvedit because: clarity

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 07:47 PM
link   

What difference would it make to the present? People could still be drawing inspiration from it.

So ask the people who go to it:
"Hey, you doing sacred prostitution? What about Aphrodite worship? Is there a temple around here?"

What if they're Dionysians? They might get pissed if you call them Ishtarians.

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 10:47 PM
link   

we are not even discussing the reasons of the organizers of Burning Man, but your take on it.
Which is simply false because as I said in my first answer to you: it comes from the Ancient Celts, nothing to do whatsoever with Babylon.

They don't need doctrinal precision or orthodoxy, they made their own cool festival.
But still everything you said in your OP is false and not making any sense to everybody else but you.
Which is fine to me, or would be, if you would just accept that you are wrong

edit on 5-9-2023 by Peeple because: lol

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

The big G doesn't ask such a thing. J.C. does. Just as he sucks up the 'way to the Father'.
What the big G wants is to be sincere as far as I can tell and adherence to the rules. But that goes mostly for the people of the Covenant and not everyday Joe who is seeking to connect to a higher, or the ultimate 'power'* in the universe.

But yes in ancient times the realtionships people had to the small g's was a lot more personal, intimate and focusing on everyday issues. Sacrifice is not to torture yourself or curse your opponents, that was always the realm of magic (some say the difference between magic and religion evolved only later, but I am not so sure because it seems more like medicine and magic were one and religion as way to praise and connect was always its own thing)

*I'd read that as consciousness/intelligence not as force/power per se

posted on Sep, 7 2023 @ 06:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: SolveditThey don't need doctrinal precision or orthodoxy, they made their own cool festival.
So why do you talk like they would employ doctrinal precision in where they draw their inspiration from?

posted on Sep, 7 2023 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I don't even know where anybody else but you would have mentioned any doctrine.
So you'd have to quote where I said it is 'ancient doctrine' before I'd be able to answer that

posted on Sep, 7 2023 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Burning Man Census Results

A census of Burning Man attendees has revealed that most Burners are white men near middle-age who have become increasingly rich and Democrat.

The festival, held every year in the Nevada desert, attracts those who want to live in a cashless, carefree society for nine days every summer - but attendees have become very wealthy and educated, with an average age of 37.

posted on Sep, 7 2023 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Haha

I think I know where that is coming from...

I've been fueling the satanic panic, I'm such a naughty boy...

edit on 7-9-2023 by Terpene because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2023 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

The good old days of burning man are over.

I never went but my sister in law did, back when it was a new thing, '88 I think.

The census didn't ask for religious leanings though.
A missed opportunity.

posted on Sep, 7 2023 @ 07:37 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

The interesting thing, you can learn how to set up solar systems and new building styles and all for free.

I have seen people run e-bikes off of solar for the whole 7 days of burning man
and build full camps that will fit in a 4×5 trailer. Including a full solar power system.

All you have to do is ask the person about their system, and most are proud to explain their system and even tell you where to get the parts.

You need to be a survivalist type person to survive 7 days on the playa without a full size motor home, and many do.
There are parts of burning man that are solar only no generators.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join