It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nigerian president recalls ambassadors worldwide with immediate effect

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 10:27 AM
link   
That seems a tad dramatic and in stark contrast to the official explanation:

"The president is determined to ensure that world-class efficiency and quality, will henceforth, characterize foreign and domestic service delivery to citizens, residents and prospective visitors alike,"
Nigerian president recalls ambassadors worldwide

Why the urgency? Seems more likely that this has to do with an imminent invasion of neighbouring Niger to restore the old regime after the coup. While several ECOWAS nations have announced to participate Nigeria would be providing the bulk of the military troops. It is not a popular move in Nigeria. There's already chatter about a possible coup in Nigeria itself. Maybe the worldwide recall of ambassadors is supposed to help prevent a coup in Nigeria. How though?

Total recall of ambassadors seems highly unusual to me. I can't remember any other cases. Opinions?

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: MindBodySpiritComplex

I haven't heard of any Wagner troops in Nigeria yet, so probably no coups for the time being. It is a very unstable region and coups have been effected in neighboring countries recently, anything is possible.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye on this situation also.

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Mahogany

I haven't heard of any Wagner troops in Nigeria

2 years ago:
Nigeria and Russia Sign Military Cooperation Agreement

3 weeks ago:
Niger coup: Russia warns Ecowas not to take military action

Today :
Preventing military coups in Africa: Attention, Nigeria

Two recent military coups in neighbouring Niger and Gabon have heightened discussions in Nigeria of the possibility of military intervention in the politics of the nation.

In Nigeria, the division of society into two classes only; that is those who have everything and those who have nothing is more visibly felt than anywhere else. This has left many people to pray not just for something to change but for it to come through the efficacy of a military coup. 

August 6
Nigeria’s Senate rejects military intervention in Niger as ultimatum to coup leaders expires
edit on 3-9-2023 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Ok, what I'm hearing from you is there should be a coup in Nigeria and Russia should do it to help those people out?

Is that your view?

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 11:23 AM
link   

"The president is determined to ensure that world-class efficiency and quality, will henceforth, characterize foreign and domestic service delivery to citizens, residents and prospective visitors alike," presidential spokesman Ajuri Ngelale said.

I'm guessing this guy hired Kamala Harris to write this speech for him. That's some low calorie word salad right there.

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Mahogany

No, I am just trying to understand what is going on. I am really puzzled by this global recall of ambassadors which just seems unprecedented to me. The links and quotes I provided is merely my attempt at making sense of that particular move.

Anyone here remember similar cases of worldwide recalls of ambassadors? When and in what context?

ETA: finally found something that seems to suggest that the recall is not directly connected to current events:

Tinubu, who assumed office in late May this year, has since replaced Nigeria’s defense chief, along with the heads of the army, navy, and air force.
In June, the president also dissolved the boards of federal government institutions, agencies, and state-owned enterprises.
link
edit on 3-9-2023 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 12:29 PM
link   
only thing I can think of is that he's revamping his foreign policies and will shuffle the diplomatic corps to promote his agenda.

Africa seems to be a mess and getting worse and worse. admittedly I know very little about what's really going on there.

I wish we had a better news media. they tell us little and what we get is untrustworthy.

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Maybe he has a very sensitive message or info to impart to his Ambassadors, and doesn't trust the security of any radio messages sent.

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 07:50 PM
link   

You only recall ambassadors when war is imminent, when all diplomatic discussions are off the table. Do they know something?

top topics

join