It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Grading for Equity" - Portland Schools Mull Banning Zeroes for Cheating and Not Doing Work

page: 15
<< 12  13  14   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96
a reply to: quintessentone

Why because I believe in accountability? What a terrible thing to believe in and try to instill in a society that is growing up without it

Shame on me, I am just the worst person in the world because Quint told me so

what ever will I do with myself now?

(heavy sarcasm)

Accountability is handing in your work on time or whenever the teacher allows. It's the doing the work not racing against the clock.

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

Accountability is deadlines, it's failing people that have not earned the grade, it's not letting people move on just so they don't feel bad for failing. As i have pointed out a million times, failing is a part of life. We all learn from it, well I guess besides you, mr bot.

You're thinking of handouts; giving someone something they didn't earn or don't deserve.

(post by quintessentone removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 10:07 PM
link   
At this point, why do we even hand out grades then? We can't fail students, we can't give them zeroes when they don't work, now they don't even want to prevent cheating? Just give them all a piece of toilet paper and print a diploma on it. That's what it'll be worth.

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: DragonsDemesne

Unless you are going into a highly prestigious field, a Hs diploma means nothing anyways.

I know several guys I went to school with that dropped out, got their GEDs, and are now making more than me and I have a diploma and went to college.

Highschool, in most cases, is just a formality at this point. Most districts don't have the funding or man power to do it correctly, but their are those that think doing something like this will make it all better and pass more kids. And as I have stated many times previously, if a kid doesn't gaf now, they never will. Only thing this is going to change is the number of people with a diploma that probably couldn't spell GED.

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: DragonsDemesne
At this point, why do we even hand out grades then? We can't fail students, we can't give them zeroes when they don't work, now they don't even want to prevent cheating? Just give them all a piece of toilet paper and print a diploma on it. That's what it'll be worth.

I rather see than happening now with diplomas/degrees because uni. class averages are mediocre at best, so they are turning out diploma wielding people who may retain, 60-70% of the subject matter, which will dwindle with time if they don't find a job to apply those teachings. My use of the word 'know' really means 'able to recall' through the rote memorization maybe with a some understanding, that being 60-70%.

I think giving them wider parameters in which to complete and hand in work, make up work, targeted instruction, counselling for cheating and/or other issues (hey s*** happens even for kids) that each individual student has a better chance to succeed. Doing the same old thing or this one size fits all approach never worked for everyone and it never will.

Required reading with some important comparisons that can be made to elementary/high school students and 'burnout':

edtheory.blogspot.com...
edit on q00000017930America/Chicago5959America/Chicago9 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

edit on q00000021930America/Chicago2020America/Chicago9 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: PorkChop96

from an hris people and talent management point of view most seem to be learning that lying works to secure not keep a job.. equally employers that lie about jobs, greenwash their companies are being found out.. i frame those as the zombie corps about to die in the coming crisis.

combine the 2 and western economy we are down to a sliver of time before its dead in the water i suspect that'll merge with the failure to invest in nuclear, and fix our failing infrastructure that make going digital and 15 min cities imposible.

talking of kids the uk is conveniently looking at perhaps closing 1,000 schools due to a threat of their imminent collapse, i say convenient as it aligns with the coming rush to real deal (laugh out loud) covid.. in the same way the displacement of uni students from their accommodation days before they start to house migrants hints at the closure of the unis..

now fully combine it all on top of destroying a generation through lockdowns, refusing to invest in food and energy security abut instead focusing on socially transition them and its easy to see how close the entire system is to collapse.
edit on 1-9-2023 by nickyw because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Progressives Ending Grading in School Are Condescending Racists

In liberal school districts across America, they’re doing everything possible to get the public to accept mediocrity as fair and equitable and arming our children with educational paper swords, misleading them into believing they can battle the world without the solid weapon of knowledge.

Progressive school administrators always talk about biases that exist within their schooling structure, but they rarely discuss what policies exist that are objectively accentuating those biases. They only know how to present the veneer of fairness by artificially inflating underperformers and leveling the more exceptional students.

A school district that states we need to have fewer expectations of students handing in course work on time because the minority children fail to do so is beyond condescending.

Though they’re supposedly fighting to end racial biases, the officials’ reasoning and methodology in changing the grading system only exposes how their motives are based on racial biases, racist tropes and simplistic theories assuming certain groups’ lack of output is equal to intellectual inferiority.

These elitist progressives cannot conceive any other possibility why some minority children are unable to keep up with others in an equal environment other than their race — and to cover up their own years of failure to uplift the ones who have fallen, they manipulate the grading system instead of helping these children.

Real white supremacists would allow someone who doesn’t look like them to struggle surviving while reinforcing the false belief that he or she is actually excelling so the kid fails in a competitive world.

Real racial bias shows itself when officials claim your black child can’t meet simple expectations like handing in work on time.

Now that I think of it, they probably do believe the trope that black people are always late, so let’s not penalize them for handing in work late: They can’t help it, right?

More and more of America’s educators have become ideologically captured and put into practice the most condescending ideas as they claim to be the saviors of the melanated class.

posted on Dec, 25 2023 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: PorkChop96

I researched about "Grading for Equity" and it seems an interesting concept and for me, it seems you do not understand it fully. I found this article on it: Grading for Equity

Firstly, I would ask what is the end goal of studying a subject? Is it mastery of the subject or following some arbitrary rules?

There is a final deadline, a point at the end of the semester, where the understanding of the student is measured, although the grade is independent of participation, home assignments and compliance with deadlines throughout the quarter or semester. The final grade is not an aggregate of the tests and measures throughout the year, but the understanding in the end.

Home assignments should be used as a measure for improving, not as something to gather points. The student should make a focus on understanding the subject not maximizing their points.

Finally, the students situation must be taken into account. The subject mastery at the end should considered, not the process how the student gets there. In case of cheating, a failing grade or unsubmitted home assignment affecting the final grade, is not the solution, as it lets the student off too easily.

There is nothing wrong in rewarding good behavior, for example, having students have easier final exam, although "bad behavior" should not be punished but used as a means to provide guidance. If there is an aggregate grade or grade dependent on home assignments and student receives C on their first exam, what is the motivation to study for the second, if the maximum they can get is B...

Children from poverty and broken families or children with poor health are affected most by the deadlines, participation and aggregate grades. What if the student had to work for his family business or have a job? What if there was drunk parent affecting studying? What if the student was ill? The environmental factors need to be taken into account and one bad day or a week should not affect the final grade.

In the end, the only thing that matters is the final understanding of the subject.

I can remember from my school days some students, who would have benefitted from such approach. One student was constantly ill, not attending nearly a week of each month or even more. Due to deadlines and rules, even though she wanted to learn, the grades were bad, as participation and submitting on time were considered. In the end, she lost her willingness to study. Another had to work due to family's financial troubles. His participation and submitting home assignments were dependent on whether there was shift or not.

The focus should always be on the understanding of the subject, every action in the middle should taken in order to motivate the students drive to learn and environmental circumstances need to be taken into account.
edit on 25-12-2023 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2023 @ 03:54 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 26 2023 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Before I was allowed to start school I had to take an age appropriate IQ and aptitude test in order to be placed in the right classes and to address any special considerations.

I remember my mother becoming defensive when they told her I had high functioning autism as if it meant I was somehow defective.

Ii know that's not standard procedure in the civilian world but maybe it should be.

I seem to remember hearing of programs in other countries where such testing is mandated in order to place children with certain talents or challenges into the appropriate school programs that were designed exclusively with those considerations in mind in order to maximize the child potential for success.

Maybe we need to look in to a similar solution here?

Not everyone thrives in the same environment and trying to push everyone through a rank and file system designed in a different day and age when children weren't facing as many challenges as they are now (dysfunctional homelifes, food poverty, learning and behavior issues that could stem from a multitude of reasons).

We already have a wealth of educational alternatives such as homeschooling, charter schools, private schools, school for children with special needs, etc and it is not uncommon for kids from disadvantaged household to get scholarships and transfers to privately funded schools if they meet the criteria.

Perhaps the solution is aptitude assessment.

I know it's challenging and there's no easy solutions.

Part of my own educational experience was being placed in a variety of classes with all manner of different kids from different backgrounds and different skillsets.

The worst one were were the kids were so out of control that the instructor simply sat at his desk with his head in his hands in a state of futile defeat and resignation because they were impossible to control and flat out refused to listen to an authority figure that wasnt their own parents.

I admire the efforts of No Child Left Behind in theory but we have a lot of details to smooth out before it becomes viable in practice.

Both a blessing and a curse the internet is affording opportunities to clever children who are more mature than their years allow for and vendors and cash transfer apps are funding a lot of kids who dropped out of the traditional school system.

Hustle.

It's not right it not fair but so it goes and that's life.
edit on 12/26/23 by GENERAL EYES because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2023 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

I think you are the closest in thinking so far in this thread to see where I think we are going.
The Prussian model compulsory education used today is probably over.
It worked for a few centuries but the 4th industrial age where robotics and AI being implemented our failing school system deserves to be scrapped.
We were raised up to be replaceable cogs in the machinery of free market capitalism and the war machine.
There are no more starter jobs in the society to come. And it is coming fast.
There is no reason to try and save it now.
It is failed, by design by the Marxists.
What can be learned online is now far superior to what can be done today.
And from there we need mentorship programs that further the education.
A meritocracy is established by those that can apply themselves.
A UBI is coming and will be there for those that just cruise and just want to live it out.
Many will be content with this and social credit scores will matter more that learning something in some societal application.
Free market capitalism can be replaced with a meritocracy using humanitarian projects and inventions as an ideal instead of planned obsolescence and greed.
This allows those that want to be more can be more and the intelligent motivated by being rewarded for improving people's lives and societies advancement.
Robocop and flesh bots are coming so crime is not going to be much of an issue and robocop isn't racist and the mall shoplifter never getting out an exit between the 2 exit doors corridor. No checkout counters needed. All debit scanned upon exit.
Social skills will actually improve. Sexbots come in any gender.

Online schooling and mentorship programs coming soon.
If you do not engage in the free range by merit then once you sign up into the 15 minute cities education should then be more towards courtesy, integration kumbayah social skills ideals.
At this point with free living, UBI life should be all about being polite and agreeable. A social credit score is unavoidable if the goal is to just live it out.

Plus this allows the meritocracy group(probably no more than 10%) unhindered progression in attaining personal achievements.

The Prussian model is outdated now.
Unless...
It all crumbles, falls apart and we are forced to fight and scratch out of third ww destruction where we start over again.
But if this really is the 4th industrial revolution public schools need to be flushed. It is an irreversible broken system now.
It only dumbs everyone down to the lowest common denominator allowing the narcissists free reign to rape society and soar to the top 1% than own 100,000 lifetimes more wealth than they need

posted on Dec, 26 2023 @ 06:04 PM
link   
In a way the future you're describing is already here without the obsessive fixation about replacing human beings who already have the talents training and aptitudes to handle traditional roles without the robotic fantasies of science fiction.

At least that's what's happening in my district.

Not saying there won't be robots in other sectors but machines are subject to breakdowns and software glitches and a host of other problems and as they showed time and time again in Robocop you still need a human being to make it work.

Not to mention the dangers of biohackers overriding wifi implant solutions such as Musk is proposing and creating absolute havoc.

We have a wealth of cautionary tales about overdependance on technologies from Asimov's works to cyberpunk movies dealing with concepts of Transhumanism and merging man with machines.

There are kids who cope with life consuming drugs and alcohol in 3D rendered environments found dead in their apartments. The expose of rhis underground is somewhere buried on bitchute sorry I don't have the link.

There are amazing futuristic cities with LED billboards and beautiful buildings and modern roads with aesthetic lighting in various countries across the planet.

Not everyone has the same vision or psychological considerations for the future and there are still a lot issues that need addressing in certain sectors.

You have to have balance.

Not everyone thrives in the same Utopic vision.

It's a complicated process but I earnestly think things are getting better in regards to alternative communities and so forth.

I recently had to relocate because I was no longer relevant to systems operations and I'm adjusting to a quiet life off the main grid.

Still figuring things out one day at a time.

Life goes on.

posted on Dec, 26 2023 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

You are right but, it is all right here right now.
Whether it be the great reset or nesara and the rv it all began January 1,2023.
The 3rd industrial revolution DID NOT happen organically.
It was designed and executed.
This thing that is coming is designed and in execution.

I am glad you brought up neurolink.
That is the big game changer that seals the deal.
Imo, there is no way it gets offered to everyone.
In the 15 minute cities you will get chipped when you sign up.
Free cubicle domicile, free power.
Gains from social credit scores and a UBI and most people will literally be living in hog heaven watching me live my life with livestock through their metaverse goggles dreaming of my life in fantasy.

But more tempting than a free lunch will be neurolink where you can download how to operate a helicopter outer in 20 minutes with an ability to fly it, matrix style.
So if either of these is the mark of the beast in tandem.
How many are going to be able to resist either one or the other?
If you do not take the neurolink and you stand idly by as your peers super achieve leaving you far behind in immediate successes how can you not do it too?
For me I will pass.
The borg.

Buuuuuuuuut, it is here.
And soon there will be no retail theft.
No rapes.
No injust racist cops.
No privacy.
And a bunch of neurolink super achievers who get to fly cars ( you didn't think they would be for everyone, right?).
You about to witness almost every institutional brick and mortar windowless structure disappear from the landscape.
Banks-gone (online and crypto)

Supermarkets-gone(Amazon home delivers everything processed way better and add farmer-fork blockchain eliminating fda, usda)

Schools-gone

Hospitals-gone(medbeds and food is medicine)

Retail stores and malls-gone (Amazon home delivery by bots through underground vacuum tubes that will pop up in your building or neighborhood).

I know I missed something.
Just picture a brick and mortar windowless structure- gooooooone.

The era of the corporation- GONE.

And I mean, it has already begun.
This is the reason they are not only allowing anarchy but inspiring it and fomenting it.
So when the public opinion pendulum swings so far past civility it will swing back in implementing this thing they have planned.

posted on Dec, 26 2023 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: FarmerSimulation

Interesting predictions but implants were found to be ineffective because in the majority of subjects the body reacted poorly to them and they had to be removed because of infections or other technical failures.

At least this is the Intel I have. It may still be viable within certain demographics with great success for all I know.

Right now I'm dealing with payment options in various c9mmerce centers in the region and noticing design flaws and different POS terminals in different stores.

My bank card has three methods of payment option in case of unforseen failure points...either with the card tech or the terminal I'm using at the time.

The chip for inserting wears out quickly and frequently doesn't register. The magnetic strip seems to be consistent but trying to orient it correctly with all the different standards and practices In readers takes time to navigate design variations.

Tap and go is the fastest and most convient method because there are no exposed contact elements to suffer wear and tear but it's not implemented in every store.

When we stopped into a Dollar Tree my card was rejected by the terminal entirely so rather than hold up the line I paid in cash.

Granted it's easier than navigating currency exchanges when traveling the globe but I'm pretty content with staying Stateside so I focus my attentions here.

UBI and Social Credit scores interest me because right now I'm living on a very small disability allotment for my mental health issues and earning social credit points for my volunteer social work and community clean up efforts would be a nice considerations.

I have always been environmentally conscientious and active within my community to the best of my abilities to compensate for my inability to hold a job in the position and station I once excelled at before things started changing in the social environment and my sensitivities went AWOL from the stimulus overload and knocked me out of commission in my regular capacities.

Since I've been in a position where I am effectively a Ward of the State and being grateful that the Federal Government was kind enough ro help me through my distress I have spent the majority of my time dealing with navigating the Schizophrenic Phenomena, developing viable coping skills and learning everything I can about its varied manifestations in others in order to hopefully help others who share this experience.

Most of my work is volunteer online like many others like me who share the same nonprofit open source value system we were instructed in during the 90s. Many of my thought experiments came to fruition by those with the technical talent and aptitudes to make the dream a reality. I can't claim exclusive credit because it was very much a group exercise and I know I'm not alone in these visions.

A lot of the younger generation are extremely oriented and business adept with their marketing of entertainment handcrafted goods social awareness campaigns and so forth but sadly I look like a lizard on camera and I've never been able to speak clearly to an inanimate object so podcasts and YouTube channels aren't a viable option for me.

I'm still navigating the new dynamics and like I said before I'm living in an area that doesn't have internet infrastructure outside of a tower somewhere I haven't been able to locate but thank the AT&T gods for continuing to look after me and my family all this time.

I value new tech and services bur I'm kinda Old School and loyal to certain American Institutions I grew up with because they continue to provide consistent quality and standards and practices and values that I respect.

The big issue right now is trying to find a vehicle that mea s my clean emissions standards, runs on traditional gas and oil and isn't overloaded with tech that flakes out requires constant and costly servicing because of design flaws or some profit driven motive that keeps one spinning in circles trying to keep up the consumer imperatives because like I said...I have mental sensitivities and I'm living well below the National Poverty Line.

I'm doing OK because something beautiful out there is watching over me and keeping me safe.

I don't want to get greedy or entitled or anything as I am simply doing the best I can with what I have naturally been given by partents my communities and my country and wealth of institutions I have attended unofficially as a student over the years.

It's a process and I'm still pushing myself to overcome my challenges push through navigating online courses from an accredited University and putting in the work and finalizing my credentials for the next phase.

It's a slow process but like I said things are getting better.

As long as they keep the growing populations from encroaching into my area in a devastating and unsustainable manner I have no issues.

I just want peace and nature and enough personal space between residences that we aren't stressing one another out.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14   >>

join